Merged PBR Metallicity/Roughness maps

lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,396

i have attached a merged Metallicity/Rougness map for an OBJ prop I have (a free suitcase prop).  This came from a glTF file which i converted to OBJ.

how should these be applied in shader settings. I added attachments of the merged map and an example render applying it.

example.jpg
1000 x 1000 - 935K
example2.jpg
1283 x 813 - 632K
Post edited by lilweep on

Comments

• Are you sure it's a merged map? Metallicity/Roughness is one of the material modes - along with Specular/Glossiness - so I'd wonder if it was intended as a control map. Still, if the result works for you that's the main thing - even though PBR is meant to be related to the way the real world works that doesn't mean there are hard-and-fast rules that you must obey.

• lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,396

Are you sure it's a merged map? Metallicity/Roughness is one of the material modes - along with Specular/Glossiness - so I'd wonder if it was intended as a control map. Still, if the result works for you that's the main thing - even though PBR is meant to be related to the way the real world works that doesn't mean there are hard-and-fast rules that you must obey.

Apparently it is a feature of the glTF format, it merges 3 of the material properties.  So the information must be encoded there somehow but I guess i should figure out how to split it back out into the Metallicity and Roughness greyscale maps for Daz.

For posterity, I think i can split them by viewing RGB channels in photoshop.

Red = Occlusion

Green = Metallic

Blue = Roughness

• peenwolf said:

For posterity, I think i can split them by viewing RGB channels in photoshop.

Red = Occlusion

Green = Metallic

Blue = Roughness

Thank you for reporting that - it should work in any editor that supports channels, Photoshop Elements used not to but I don't know about the current version.

Are there any shaders that can separate R G and B channels?

In Blender you can add a Separate RGB node, but not sure if there is something similar in shader mixer?

Capture.PNG
    802 x 950 - 429K