Blank Renders

Been having a problem for about a week now.  A lot of renders coming up blank - either black screen or checkerboard white&grey.  It doesn't seem to be a render setting thing though - if I move things around, or change visibility it goes back to working fine.  But there's no pattern on what fixes it.  And it's not like the scenes are big ones getting overloaded.

Any idea what's going on?

Comments

• Was the camera possibly below the ground level?

• Nope.  And sometimes it's just a question of hitting the render button multiple times to get a real render - without changing anything at all.

• 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,300

I've been having this happen since 4.11 Beta, I thought 4.12 Beta had fixed it, but like you say, sometimes it works, then the next it doesn't. Last time I rendered I had to hit render 4 times and then it rendered on CPU, not GPU. 4.10 doesn't have this issue, which is why I uninstalled 4.11 General Release and went back to 4.10.

• thrain9thrain9 Posts: 103

I had a similar problem this morning: Rendering worked correctly during at least seven test renders, until I moved the fill spot light, then i got a black render.  When I moved the spotlight back to its' original position, then did another render; it was also black. (note: this was a five DAZ IRay spotlight set up with dual rim lights, a hair light, key light, and the offending spot fill.)

FYI: I have used this exact light rig several times without problems, so it is not "new". Nothing was blocking the light, the spotlight emission was set to 48,000 lumens 120 degree angle, light geometry=point, color temperature=6500, ray length= 5.0 (extended light cone just beyond the back side of the model). Render settings were "scene only" with default settings for all other render components. It seems that some glitch or bug turned off all the lights in the scene when I moved that one spotlight. I did not think to change the spotlights geometry to some other one until I started writing this, so maybe?? Without the fill light, I got the expected strong, heavily shadowed render (ie normal with this rig without the fill) Shutting down DS and doing some other things I came back and started up DS, loaded the saved scene and - black render! angry Note: other light settings were ,(key=60 degree-65000 lmn, rim and hair spots 45 degree-65,000 lm with varying ray lengths and light distances as needed)

Nothing I did fixed it until I deleted the offending spotlight and substituted a fill light designed by Colm Jackson from the "Render Studio IRay" product --- then everything worked again.

Any ideas, anyone?

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649
    edited May 2021

I simply never had blank renders before. But now the same is happening to me. 

A scene I worked on before and rendered perfectly fine many times. I tried GPU or CPU only. There's just nothing at all in the render, or spotlight render. But if I preview the scene with iRay in the viewport it's all fine and normal.

I created a new scene with just a sphere and it renders. So damn weird. 

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }
    Post edited by hansolocambo on
  • Wallace3DWallace3D Posts: 166

Checking CPU Fallback Fixed this for me

"CPU Fallback" ?

• Wallace3DWallace3D Posts: 166

Advanced render tab under general settings

Render Settings for Daz.png
    393 x 618 - 75K
    edited May 2021

It's checked by default. Already ON for me sadly. This is not the issue in my case.

Post edited by hansolocambo on