A Problem with Brandon

Three WishesThree Wishes Posts: 471

Greets, all,

I hope the holidays are treating you well :-)

I have a G2M character that I spent a great deal of time tweaking to look exactly like I wanted. I mean, EXACTLY. Then I tucked him away for a few weeks with a project in mind.

I tried to thaw him out tonight to get started, and got a missing file message for: /data/DAZ 3D /Genesis 2/Male/Morphs/SilverCountess/Brandon.dsf

Apparently that file no longer exists, Brandon having been quietly updated to use 3 other DSF files instead: CTRLBrandon, FBMBrandon and FHMBrandon.

All well and good, except: The loaded character doesn't automatically regenerate my dial tweaks, and I cannot for the life of me get his face reshaped exactly to the ideal of the one good reference render I took when I first set him up. I can get close, but all I see are the places where I fail.

Is there any hope for this situation, other than just fiddling by hand until I get something I guess I can live with?

Also, should I bug report this? It seems a little weird that this kind of update should have been able to undo my work on one of my assets. Granted, I'm just a hobbyist, albeit currently a mildly frustrated one. But this could have had significant implications if it had happened in the middle of a large-scale production pipeline.

Thanks!

Comments

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Just an idea ... maybe a computer search would turn up another copy of the file that's tucked away somewhere and you could move it back?
    Can happen when we save characters, or some various types of files for various reasons.

• Three WishesThree Wishes Posts: 471
    edited December 1969

Just an idea ... maybe a computer search would turn up another copy of the file that's tucked away somewhere and you could move it back?
    Can happen when we save characters, or some various types of files for various reasons.

Hi Patience,

Thanks for the suggestion! I did do a system-wide search, and alas, a backup of the file is nowhere to be found.

I *knew* I should have bought a Time Machine for this Mac :D

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

dhtapp said:
    Greets, all,

I hope the holidays are treating you well :-)

I have a G2M character that I spent a great deal of time tweaking to look exactly like I wanted. I mean, EXACTLY. Then I tucked him away for a few weeks with a project in mind.

I tried to thaw him out tonight to get started, and got a missing file message for: /data/DAZ 3D /Genesis 2/Male/Morphs/SilverCountess/Brandon.dsf

Apparently that file no longer exists, Brandon having been quietly updated to use 3 other DSF files instead: CTRLBrandon, FBMBrandon and FHMBrandon.

All well and good, except: The loaded character doesn't automatically regenerate my dial tweaks, and I cannot for the life of me get his face reshaped exactly to the ideal of the one good reference render I took when I first set him up. I can get close, but all I see are the places where I fail.

... possibly the #s are written in your saved file? Most, not all files, can be read if unzipped and opened in a text editor.

Is there any hope for this situation, other than just fiddling by hand until I get something I guess I can live with?

Sometimes best we can do is learn ... backup installers! If using DIM the updates overwrite the older files so before allowing updates to be downloaded, might want to copy them out first.

Also, should I bug report this? It seems a little weird that this kind of update should have been able to undo my work on one of my assets. Granted, I'm just a hobbyist, albeit currently a mildly frustrated one. But this could have had significant implications if it had happened in the middle of a large-scale production pipeline.

Thanks!

No point. AFAIK a large scale production would have backed up all purchases before commencing to work with any of them. And then back up each day's work too. [or weekly or ? they are willing to lose in the event of any unforeseen event]

edited December 1969

Thanks again, Patience.

You're right, a pro pipeline would have had an asset repository.

I tried opening the scene's DUF file in a text editor and it looks binary to me.

I think as a last resort I'll try contacting the PA for Brandon and seeing if she can provide the old file for me to reload the scene...although how to make sure it saves back out only with dependencies to her new file structure is completely beyond me.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

DUF is a plain text format.

It can be saved in compressed or uncompressed format, so try having a look at it using WinZip, WinRAR or 7 ZIP or similar, that should open it for you.

edited December 1969

DUF is a plain text format.

It can be saved in compressed or uncompressed format, so try having a look at it using WinZip, WinRAR or 7 ZIP or similar, that should open it for you.

A-hah, the magic missing step. Thanks, JimmyC_2009 :-)