Why does Daz see some Cr2 files as Daz files and others only as Poser content?

RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899

To give an example I bought 2 products from Rendorisity. One is a sci-fi product called Diagnostic Unit. One is called Steampunk Streets.

Both of them installed fine into my Daz runtime. Since these are not Duf files I installed them into my Daz 3 runtime with the intention of categorizing them then importing the database into Daz 4.

I run search for content and the Diagnostic unit is found but the Steampunk street is not. Hmmm...

I look into my runtime. Both of their main files are in runtime/libraries/character. Both are in their own folder. Both are cr2s. I open both files in Notepad++ and while they have differences obviously, they're both version 6 and to my eye appear to use the same basic cr2 structure that I'm used to seeing.

So, why is one found by Daz content and the other only availabe in Ds4.6 under Poser content?

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Are you saying one of them doesn't show up as a .cr2 at all, but does show up as a duf in DS-formats?

Can you post full path and screenshot of the folders these items are in, and a screenshot of your Content Directory Manager in both DS3 and DS4, for both DS and Poser formats?

• RiggswolfeRiggswolfe Posts: 899
    edited December 1969

No. I'm saying that when I do a search for content in DS3 one of them is not found and the other is. If I load up DS4 I can find the missing one under poser files in my DS3 runtime. It does not, however, show up as a Daz file. Here are the two paths:

C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio3\content\Runtime\libraries\Character\SP Street\Steampunk Street.cr2

C:\Users\XXXXX\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio3\content\Runtime\libraries\Character\CyborgUnit\Diagnostic Module.cr2

As you can see, the paths are pretty much the same. They're both Cr2s. They're both version 6. Yet when I search for content one of them shows up and the other doesn't. I've had this happen in the past on older stuff and more or less just let it go but this one bugged me.

edited December 1969

Try this:
    1) temporarily remove the one that doesn't appear
    2) start up DS3 and do a search for content -- that should remove any stray references to the item
    3) close DS3
    4) put the item back, start DS3 and search again

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,851
    edited December 1969

Sorry to say this isn't new, it's had difficulty finding Poser content since it was first added to DS2, it can see most of your content and adds it to the database, but you will find that there are a few items missing.

I had bug reports about it with DS2 and DS3, and that was on two separate computers, but they couldn't replicate the problem (didn't want to more like) and kept closing my reports.

It only appears to affect a minority, but I suspect it happens to a hell of a lot more, it's just that they haven't a clue what's on their system half the time, so they never notice something is missing.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:
    Sorry to say this isn't new, it's had difficulty finding Poser content since it was first added to DS2, it can see most of your content and adds it to the database, but you will find that there are a few items missing.

Isn't this the ancient problem that was usually solved by running "search for new content" a couple or three more times? Seeing this resurface after coming up again and again over the last several years isn't going to make me change my mind about never bothering with Categories view or the doesn't-work-anyway CMS...
    edited December 1969

Bejaymac said:

Isn't this the ancient problem that was usually solved by running "search for new content" a couple or three more times? Seeing this resurface after coming up again and again over the last several years isn't going to make me change my mind about never bothering with Categories view or the doesn't-work-anyway CMS...

No, that problem has not resurfaced. The problem Bejaymac describes is one I've never encountered.