What the hell is Gordig doing now?

1222324252628»

Comments

• GordigGordig Posts: 9,878

I've been trying to get a handle on C4D's dynamics objects (motors, connectors, etc.) to automate a car driving. This is how well that's going so far:

The funny thing is that I started in C4D, ran into an unrelated problem and moved on from that, then started trying to figure the physics out, and realized that I could easily do both of the things I was trying to do in Houdini, so I did that. After only a minute or two of setting the car up for carring, I started looking through the operators and was quickly reminded that 20.5 introduced specific car physics objects, so setting up a car for driving is damn near a one-click solution. So having seen just how easy it is in Houdini, I naturally dove right back into trying to achieve the same thing in C4D, because my brain is broken like that.

I've been setting up other vehicles, and spent a truly indefensible amount of time on Big Bill, specifically the Iray expansions. It's not just the truck, but four completely different trailer styles. It's not just that the truck and each trailer has a billion lights, but that the lights were set up as emissive glass shapes rather than having a mesh "bulb" emitter behind the glass. It's not just that there were several texture sets, but there were multiple texture sets for several different components rather than just the main exterior. It's not just that there were a lot of different joints to set up for automation, it's that I kept finding additional things that weren't rigged yet, to the extent that I was creating new geometry behind things that weren't designed to move. 

I've almost definitely spent more time doing my thing on this than was invested into creating it initially, but hey, now I've got a fully-working semi that I have no immediate plans for.

edited September 3

I'm working on an earnest render in DS for the first time in over two years. This is not yet that render, but is a slice of the scene I'm putting togther to show off a bunch of new characters I made because I didn't really have any teens or kids for my world. Only twelve more characters to add!

Sistaz.png
    2400 x 1600 - 6M
    Post edited by Gordig on
  • WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,904

Gordig said: a slice of the scene I'm putting togther

It looks really nice!

edited September 10

A couple more slices of the scene. The jocks are talking about...whatever it is that jocks talk about

while the goths express their disdain

Incredibly, I posed the girl on the right first, and somehow got the eyeline exactly right with no reference.

Jocks Comp.png
    2400 x 1600 - 5M
    Goths Comp.png
    2400 x 1600 - 5M
    Post edited by Gordig on
    edited September 13

Felt cute, might delete later.

TrollSelfieComp.png
    1200 x 1600 - 3M
    Post edited by Gordig on

I have no idea why I did this to myself. I started off trying to make a group photo of a bunch of teen/child characters I'd just created, and for reasons well beyond my understanding, I quickly abandoned that in favor of an over-stuffed nothing of a scene.

Since I expanded into a subway car, there are also some adults I made recently, including these two runners:

and this lass, who is nearly 8 feet tall and at least 500 pounds, and absolutely feeling herself.

The boy on the left is doing what, as far as I know, is what dancing looks like.

An updated version of the sisters above:

And a couple new kids:

And a thicc elf (thiccness not pictured)