InaneGlory's Lights and Lamps [Commercial]

InaneGloryInaneGlory Posts: 294
edited December 1969 in Daz PA Commercial Products

http://www.daz3d.com/inaneglory-s-lights-and-lamps-1-table-lamps

Ever since I started playing around in 3d I've been fascinated by the idea of turning props that were designed to represent things like lamps, chandeliers, wall/ceiling fixtures into actual lights that cast light into your scene. OK, so I've always been fascinated with anything to do with lighting but to create something that looks like and acts like a real light in a render has always been light a holy grail for me. For years I've toyed with different ideas and concepts to create what I was looking for but always with mixed results that I was never satisfied with. Until now. The concept behind Lights and Lamps is to take just about anything that creates light in the real world and create a prop that will look and act the same in your 3d scenery. The 1st edition is a set of 13 lamps, ranging from tiny lamps that you might put on your bedside table up to full sized lamps you might find in your living room. Each lamp has a fully morph-able light shade so that you can give each lamp it's own distinctive style. Also included is a full set of custom lamp shade materials and custom material shaders that, while designed to be used on the lamps, can be applied to any material you choose. Plus you get lighting presets that allow you to simulate putting different real world light bulb strengths in your lamps.

Note: the props have been to be as realistic as possible but more than that they have been designed to look and act like realistic light sources that will render as quickly and as cleanly as possible. To that end there were a couple parts of the lamp (the harp and spider that hold the shade in place) that while realistic details, they significantly impacted how cleanly and quickly the light created by the lamp renders, even in renders that these parts (or the effects created by these parts) wouldn't be seen. This wasn't a choice I made lightly but I thought it created a better, easier to use product.

Promo04.jpg
845 x 650 - 358K
Promo03.jpg
845 x 650 - 337K
Promo02.jpg
845 x 650 - 348K
Promo01.jpg
845 x 650 - 357K
MainPromo.jpg
769 x 1000 - 363K

Comments

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,317
    edited December 1969

Just love these lights

lamplight-4.jpg
    848 x 1200 - 226K
    edited December 1969

Another - these Lamps really do give a realistic lamp light.

nude-lamp1.jpg
    848 x 1200 - 416K
    edited December 1969

Here's another one from me really enjoying these lights.

Lamps-2.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 173K
  • CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited December 1969

Greetings,
    Aw man... Just to note, a while ago I spent a LOT of time (for me; like...most of a week and a half, and then another few days later on) trying to figure out how to do what these lamps do built-in. Specifically having a glow that seems to shine through the lampshade, and up and down like a real light, and allowed for lampshade textures. I vaguely recall that the best shine-through results I got were with SSS, but it destroyed any detail in the shade themselves. (I also had fascinating problems with angle-of-view!) I also found that the part that holds the shade in place was significantly interfering with the output.

Honestly, in that time I never got it looking half as good as these do in these renders. Awesome job!

-- Morgan

edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    Greetings,
    Aw man... Just to note, a while ago I spent a LOT of time (for me; like...most of a week and a half, and then another few days later on) trying to figure out how to do what these lamps do built-in. Specifically having a glow that seems to shine through the lampshade, and up and down like a real light, and allowed for lampshade textures. I vaguely recall that the best shine-through results I got were with SSS, but it destroyed any detail in the shade themselves. (I also had fascinating problems with angle-of-view!) I also found that the part that holds the shade in place was significantly interfering with the output.

Honestly, in that time I never got it looking half as good as these do in these renders. Awesome job!

-- Morgan

I know what you mean, the way these lights work is brilliant.