Problem with eyes in G8M and G8F.

Problem with eyes in G8M and G8F. (Genesis 3 is fine)

Daz 4.11, 3Delight.

See examples:

Genesis 8 Default:

G8M Justice:

I tried several modifications on surfaces, tried to use "200Plus" and "Natural Eyes", but the error continues.
Until yesterday I had problems with some Genesis 3 characters that used Rarestone, but applying 200Plus solved this problem (Accidentally).

What I noticed was that the Genesis 3 figures that used Rarestone were simply replaced by 200Plus, and that solved the problem, but in Genesis 8, both Rarestone and 200Plus are active, is there any way to remove Rarestone?

Comments

• wandersons13_wandersons13_ Posts: 6
    edited June 2019

Update: (Not resolved yet)

In the image below you can see the same character (Vivienne G3F + G8F) rendered at the same time, only Genesis 8 is in error.
    I tried to change the Base Map and Base Color of EyeSocket, I used Vivienne G3F but it did not work.

In the image below the EyeSocket Base Color with green background and no map.

(I already tried to reinstall, but it did not work.)

I need help, I do not know what to try anymore.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • GutoCraftsGutoCrafts Posts: 50
    edited June 2019

hello, you can disable the rarestone morphs by removing at your own risk the files located in the folder data\DAZ 3D\Genesis 8\Male\Morphs\RareStone (or something like that), but they are probably not the ones responsable for the issue. The morphs work together without a problem. 

If the default figure looks wrong, there is probably some figure that you installed or a morph pack that by default has a dial set. So this affect the default figure even if the morph dial is not set by you. Itens in Daz Store usually are safe, but if you have things installed from elsewhere you could face this kind of issue.

You should have a separete library folder for files from Daz Store and from other sites to make track the problem more easy.

One thing you can try to track the issue is load a new figure and click in the part that is looking wrong and after that you click in the option for the propriety and in the "controller" tab you can check what is affeting that part. Another way is set "display hidden" activated and check what is set in the proprieties tab.

Post edited by GutoCrafts on
    edited June 2019

I've spent the last 3 days trying to solve this problem and nothing, I reinstalled several times, deleted everything related to the Daz from the PC and tried again ... No solution.
    I just found a lousy solution, bad, but it was the best I found.

I can not even explain why, but apparently when selecting 3Delight Mats the eyes of Genesis 8 work, with poor quality, but they work.
    So I created 2 Genesis 8, a normal, and other 3Delight eyes, and "put" the two together. (Image below)

It is a solution so, but so bad that I do not even consider it solved.
    I'll keep trying.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited June 2019

So you didn't use 3DL shaders but rendered in 3DL? Or am I missing something?

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Yes, I render in 3Delight.
    I use the default shader of the figures and I get an excellent result in few seconds of rendering, but if I select 3DL mats the result is terrible.

As I showed in the first update, I rendered two characters, G3F and G8F (Both Vivienne) in the same scene, with default mats, and I had trouble only in the eyes of the G8F.

I've always done this, but this problem suddenly appeared, I did a clean installation of the operating system, and I installed Daz only with Genesis 8 Basics, and the problem persists, so it was nothing I've added or modified, that's what I do not understand.
    The problem is just the eye, nothing more.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,945

Did you accidently apply G3F materials to G8F? G3F eye materials do not work properly on G8F, because Daz changed the eye geometry on G8F.

• Saxa -- SDSaxa -- SD Posts: 872

Perhaps related to this thread? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/332851/daz-4-11-iray-dark-eyes-bug#latest

In that thread one user (Losing Signal) wrote that the distance from scene origin for G3 eye textures vs G8 was higher in their test before that shader-bug kicked in.  However in that thread they talk about Iray only.  Maybe there is something similar going on with 3DL?  Can't personally say as use Iray & G8 only.

One Test is moving whole scene and especially your figure to origin of 0,0,0.  Or maybe you are at origin already?  In that case, would report this to DAZ ticket system.

If it is the same, I can also confirm that DAZ is aware of this issue (though not sure again if Iray only) and working to fix it.

The dark eyes bug is IRay-specific. However if using shaders made for a different render engine, strange things can and will happen. The OP says the 3DL mats work, he/she should maybe learn how to tweak them to his/her liking.

edited June 2019

However if using shaders made for a different render engine, strange things can and will happen.

It is uncanny how similar the symptoms appear to be (though have not done in depth comparisons).  Eyes only and the whites oustide going wonky.  Coincidence maybe or maybe something under the software-hood with 4.11?

Post edited by Saxa -- SD on
    edited June 2019

Perhaps related to this thread? https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/332851/daz-4-11-iray-dark-eyes-bug#latest

In that thread one user (Losing Signal) wrote that the distance from scene origin for G3 eye textures vs G8 was higher in their test before that shader-bug kicked in.  However in that thread they talk about Iray only.  Maybe there is something similar going on with 3DL?  Can't personally say as use Iray & G8 only.

One Test is moving whole scene and especially your figure to origin of 0,0,0.  Or maybe you are at origin already?  In that case, would report this to DAZ ticket system.

If it is the same, I can also confirm that DAZ is aware of this issue (though not sure again if Iray only) and working to fix it.

It really seems to be the same problem.

However, I tried to change the position and the error persists, but see what happens when i change the eye scale.
    130%, 150%, 170%:

130%:

150%:

170%:

At 170% the error disappears, but I do not know how it helps me. :P

(The error is only in 3DL, in IRay it gets normal.)

I just tested on another machine, clean installation of Daz with a new account, and the same error occurred.
    Anyone who commented here could test and report if the error happens?
    Simple test, Genesis 8 Default, rendered in 3DL.
    Thanks in advance.

The similarities between the machines I tested is that they are both with Windows 10 and GTX 960, that's all.
    Depending on the answers, tomorrow I will test in another version of Windows and without a video card to see what happens...

Post edited by wandersons13_ on

Not G8 default, but did do Victoria 8, added RSL mats and rendered in 3DL engine .    (Victoria was quickest to reinstall for me with 3DL mats - i delete all 3DL as soon as I install a product).

Actual render attached.  (My 1st 3DL render and i did see in dialog box how it was optimizing mats for 3DL, so I know this was a 3DL render.  Cut render short so bottom is a bit jaggy.  No idea if this 3DL-render is normal.)

RSL 3 - actual render.png
    1180 x 1255 - 959K
    edited June 2019

I don't use G8 so don't have it installed, sorry. Others may disagree, but I'm pretty convinced it's bad eye topology causing this particular problem. The eye surface (or is it called moisture?) is too close to the cornea. Don't know about the regular 3DL implementation in DS, but I believe that ray tracing bias both in IRay and scripted pathtracing for 3DL is set high enough to avoid other artefacts, which would mean that the G8 eye surface needs to be pulled out, using some sort of correction morph.

To the OP: Still not sure if you used 3DL- or IRay shaders with the 3DL renderer in your last experiment. In a previous post you mentioned that using 3DL shaders worked, but they looked bad? IMHO if you want to use 3DL you need to start using the proper shaders made for that engine. You can get around using 3DL mats with IRay, but the other way around, not so much;)

Not G8 default, but did do Victoria 8, added RSL mats and rendered in 3DL engine .    (Victoria was quickest to reinstall for me with 3DL mats - i delete all 3DL as soon as I install a product).

Actual render attached.  (My 1st 3DL render and i did see in dialog box how it was optimizing mats for 3DL, so I know this was a 3DL render.  Cut render short so bottom is a bit jaggy.  No idea if this 3DL-render is normal.)

Well I figure that´s what it should look like with default settings and camera headlamp:)

edited June 2019

In the last experiment I used Genesis 8 Default mats, rendered in 3DL.

This problem began to occur recently, it did not occur before, and this problem is unique to Genesis 8, I showed in the first update the rendering of the same character in Genesis 3 and Genesis 8.
    I can not use Shader 3DL because the result is terrible, as a solution it would be better to put a figure inside another figure and use only the 3DL eyes, and it seems that's what I'll have to do, it's annoying, but it "solves" the problem (If I have to use Genesis 8).

See comparison using default skin, and with 3DL Shader:

Image removed

Now see how it looks when i place a figure inside another figure, just eyes with 3DL shader.

I think I'm going to give up and use it that way, I've wasted enough time with it. :(

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited June 2019

Wait, did you consider to test a correction morph like Sven sugessted. There is at least one Daz original "Iris Realistic" morph that pushes the iris mesh a bit inside. The issue seems to be that the iris mesh and the Scalera somehow interfere at least I can see some white scalera in your renders but only where it overlaps with the iris. I would test that fist before you give up. I can even think of a way of making a correction morph by yourself, you would only need a DFormer, some things set in the Geometry Editor and export/import a OBJ once.

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on
    edited June 2019

Edited as unrelevant;)

Wait, did you consider to test a correction morph like Sven sugessted. There is at least one Daz original "Iris Realistic" morph that pushes the iris mesh a bit inside. The issue seems to be that the iris mesh and the Scalera somehow interfere at least I can see some white scalera in your renders but only where it overlaps with the iris. I would test that fist before you give up. I can even think of a way of making a correction morph by yourself, you would only need a DFormer, some things set in the Geometry Editor and export/import a OBJ once.

Good call!

• hocku100hocku100 Posts: 3
    edited July 2019

For black eyes try this:

1. Save all scene as Scene Subset.

2. Reload program, open empty project.

3. Load saved subset.

4. Manually set all render setting - don`t load from project, separate file etc.

5. Set Optimization to Auto  (not Memory)

6. Render scene.

test0.jpg
    220 x 167 - 38K
    test2.jpg
    236 x 167 - 38K
    Post edited by hocku100 on
  • TheCedizTheCediz Posts: 172

Wow. It worked. I had the same problem. The only thing I did is to set the optimization to Auto. Thanks @hocku100!

• Can someone tell me how to set Optimization to "Auto"?

• jpetersen1jpetersen1 Posts: 148
    edited April 2020

I don't think it has anything to do with origin.

I did not move my figure from origin, I played with the sclera and eye moisture size settings and it significantly reduced the problem. Try eye moisture first.

The finer parts of the eye geometry (consider how many pieces there are, sclera, cornea, eye moisture, etc.) are maybe not being handled well enough in relation to each other.

I know this is a frustrating problem, I've had it with three different characters and it doesn't always show up right away (but is guaranteed to show up when you reach the point where you want to render).

So try the settings in the Parameters Pane and the Shaping Pane for the eyes.

Hocku, thanks for posting this:

Set Optimization to Auto  (not Memory)

I will try it when I have a chance. For now, I'll continue to work around it the way I've been doing it because it's a bit quicker.

Post edited by jpetersen1 on
  •    Hi,

Never messed with G8 much but im getting the issue also when using 3dl and iray textures. My pc won't even handle iray so I haven't noticed if im getting the ring people complain about with it but I get a solid black sclera and If I turn down cutout opacity for all surfaces to 0% I still see 2 transparent black spheres where the eyes textures would be. I don't see an option to change optimization with 3dl. Does the 3rd party eye moisture morphing do the trick for 3dl? I Noticed this is an old thread. Has daz ever resolved this? with iray? with 3dl?

Thanks.