Making morphs with geograft.

Does anyone know a workflow for making morphs on Daz 3d characters with geograft attached?  Right now I'm exporting base cage .obj for the figure and the geograft seperately and making morphs in Mudbox.  The problem is the geometry of the graft needs to be welded in order for brushes like smooth to work across the seam between the figure and the geograft.  I think I need some way of temporarily merging the geometry, doing the morphs and then applying those vertices to base cage and graft seperately.  I can't think of a way to do it though.  Anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

You don't, geo-grafts are set to follow figure morphs just like conforming clothes.

• MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,756
    Robinson said:

Does anyone know a workflow for making morphs on Daz 3d characters with geograft attached?  Right now I'm exporting base cage .obj for the figure and the geograft seperately and making morphs in Mudbox.  The problem is the geometry of the graft needs to be welded in order for brushes like smooth to work across the seam between the figure and the geograft.  I think I need some way of temporarily merging the geometry, doing the morphs and then applying those vertices to base cage and graft seperately.  I can't think of a way to do it though.  Anybody have any ideas?

The hexagon bridge works best for that - even better than zbrush. Zbrush treats your 3d object as two not merged meshes, hexagon as you see it in Daz Studio.

• In Morph Loader pro I think you want to set the Load Morphs For option to Primary Figure from Graft (Facet Order).

• RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

The hexagon bridge works best for that - even better than zbrush. Zbrush treats your 3d object as two not merged meshes, hexagon as you see it in Daz Studio.

I haven't used Hexagon but a casual browse tells me it doesn't really have all that many sculpting tools.  It's kind-of maintenance-mode product at this stage isn't it?

In Morph Loader pro I think you want to set the Load Morphs For option to Primary Figure from Graft (Facet Order).

I can get the graft in this way, but not the main figure which is of course exported without the graft geometry and therefore has too few vertices upon import.

Well I did give Hexagon a go.  No, it doesn't smooth the graft vertices alongside the figure's (the graft is a distinct object) and yes it does have a problem with "internal error" (also had to turn off local screen updates because it was bugged to hell without it).  That's an err-no from me then. 

I suppose as I'm dealing with .obj files which are quite simple (tinyobj can load them), I can find the vertices from the original figure and graft given the node/group names and replace them with the exported morph values.  That would be *effort*. frown

Probably need to add to my Daz wishlist seamless round-tripping of geografted meshes for morph loading with figures, to other tools like mudbox, blender, etc.

So, the way to do this is as follows:

1. Export the figure with graft at base resoution as .obj
    2. Sculpt in Mudbox (or other sculpting program)
    3. Export the figure from Mudbox as .obj
    4. Select the figure in Daz
    5. Edit -> Object -> Morph Loader Pro, select morphed .obj
    6. Change 'Load Morphs for' to Primary Figure from Graft
    7. Set Reverse Deformations on and Overwrite Existing to Deltas and ERC links
    8. Click Accept - this will create a morph property for the main figure
    9. Select the geograft and do steps 5-7 but also give it a different name property.

Step 9 is important, otherwise you're just loading/updating the base morph again. 

• illinarvillinarv Posts: 24
    edited March 2023

EDIT: The following issue is resolved. Morphs show up in Parameters, not shaping. I forgot that that's where I shouild look for custom morphs.

This is a helpful thread. I think.. I followed the instructions, it seems to be creating morphs successfully but the they never show up on the list. If I try to create it again with the same name, it says that it already exists. But if I reload the project I it no longer exists and I can load it again. 

But it never shows up. What am I missing?

Post edited by illinarv on