How to save a dress morph (or a dforce state)

Hi friends,

I'm trying to create a morph/dforce state of a lady lifting the front of her dress while walking. As the dress is dforce, so I used some animation with the primitive polygon to achieve the effect. I think there must be a method so that I dont need to resimulate the dress everytime.

Is there a method to save this morph/state (correct me if theres a better technical term to describe this), that can be reapplied everytime I load the same dress?

Just a summary of the steps I have performed

a) Load figure and dress.

b) Load primitives and position it along the animation timeline.

c) Perform simulate.

d) This is the step which I need assistance to save this morph/state for reusability.

dforce dress morph.jpg
1653 x 1179 - 168K

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,385

Hide everything but the dress, make sure the dress is at its base resolution, and export as OBJ (noting the preset used). Then I think clear the simulation - or perhaps better load a second copy of the dress and fit it to the figure (that way you have the original simulation still) and select the (new) dress. Edit>Figure>Morph Loader Pro, set the preset to match the one from exporting the OBJ, click Select Files and grab the OBJ, then in the options under the filename at the bottom of the dialogue enable Reverse Deformations to subtract the effect of the pose.

• JamesJABJamesJAB Posts: 1,760

After Simulating the dress (I would simulate several frames past your finish point) Choose the frame you like best and export that as a .obj file.

After that you can use morphloader to import the .obj as a morph for the dress.

• RurisRuris Posts: 123

Hi Richard, James,

Thank you so much. The method as you described work, especially the part where you have to hide everything. 

Now, I have encountered another (small) issue. As the morph also 'remember' the auto resize to the character shape, I just want to confirm if this is the correct workaround:

a) Save the initial dress morph base on genesis 8. Load base genesis 8.

b) Load the dress and fit on g8, load the morph.

c) Select the character you want on genesis 8, apply morph on g8.

This is the step which I'm not particularly confident on as I usually just load the character I want directly. I couldnt pinpoint an exact issue, but I remember I have encounter certain odd issue if I do this genesis 8 then character step (perhaps incorrectly).

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,385

Yes, reset any scaling - morphs should be handled by Reverse Deformations so you don't have to go back to a base figure.

• MouserMouser Posts: 675

I tried this as an experiment with the G8F Jumpsuit to put a bulge under the jumpsuit but when I try to load the object in morph loader I get a geometry error.
    Not sure why as I exported as an object for the simulated frame (figure & object hidden).
    Exported object as DS to DS.
    Loaded the object as DS to DS at the same frame.
    I get a geometry error?
    I'm pretty sure I havnt changed anything in the geometry so I am not sure what has gone wrong:(

Any ideas?

• Did you check the resolution of the outfit? Did you check there were no buttons or solid rigid items attached as separate mesh to rigid follow nodes?

• MouserMouser Posts: 675

Just checked (expand all) no buttons or such and the morph was near the waist and not near the collar or anything like that.

I am experimenting with using dForce as a way to create morphs rather than the whole blender option (which has its own foibles).

I exported from DS to DS as a Wavefront Object as I thought that would be the most compatable.

I chose the jumpsuit as it is a dForce item out of the box and I didnt want to add the complication of me fumbling around trying to add dForce myself.

Other people seem to be having some form of sucsess so I always assume I am doing something stupid;)