Importing Warcraft Models To Daz3d

MoonCraft3DMoonCraft3D Posts: 379

First off, thanks for taking the time to check out this post! I really am in a bind here.

• What I Want To Do: Import character models from World Of Warcraft and make them posable figures in Daz3d 4.10 Studio. I would love for the WoW Models to act like a Genisis 8 figure ideally, or a Gen 3. I would love to adjust their expressions, pose, and even dress the WoW models as if they were Genisis models. This is for making fan art.
  • Where Do I Get The Models From: I am able to extract the models from Warcraft directly using WoW Model Viewer. This is a FREE popular tool used for creating fan art. The models and items extracted via Wow Model viewer are the real deal, and even have animations and gearing options. I can export the WoW models of my choice in 3 formats: .obj  .fbx and .xml

I have looked around online, however much of the content related to this topic is painfully out of date, sometimes going back as far as 2012. I've been watching youtube guides and more. I have experimented with importing objects and using the feature 'convert prop to figure' without any luck.

Legit, does anyone have a step by step guide on how to do this? 

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on

Comments

• Please switch the Viewport to Smooth Shaded mode, or another non-textured mode, if you wish to take a screen shot of nude figures.

Unless the figures when imported line up with one of the Genesis figure you are not going to be able to use the transfer Utility, you'd have to set them up as new figures doing the rigging from scratch. Do you know if the models are grouped by bone as they extract from Warcraft?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

As pointed out, there is no easy way to have the WOW models be posable in DS. Your best bet would be to use any modeling app that supports .FBX (carrara works well) and then pose the rigged .FBX models in there and then export them as .OBJs to import into DS and render. This is what i do for my fan art with my game models

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,046

Not got WoW but FBX in general imports rigged into Poser11Pro

if you save stuff as a cr2 there you can open it rigged (but no inverse kinematics) in DAZ studio

click edit tab rigging convert to weight mapping chose general weights

save it as a support asset figure

now when you load it you should be able to manually bend most the bones using the parameter sliders

dressing them trickier but Dforce would drape on them like any other mesh

also Poser can save any animations on a figure as a pz2 file that can be loaded on them, it is unlikely any DAZ animations will work.

I as I said don’t have Warcraft so can only suggest what I do with other FBX files from Mixamo, iClone or other sources.

• MoonCraft3DMoonCraft3D Posts: 379

As pointed out, there is no easy way to have the WOW models be posable in DS. Your best bet would be to use any modeling app that supports .FBX (carrara works well) and then pose the rigged .FBX models in there and then export them as .OBJs to import into DS and render. This is what i do for my fan art with my game models

Do you recommend a specfic program?

The thing is, the WoW models do have skeletons and rigs on them. Its just that Daz is not seeing them.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

Do you recommend a specfic program?

The thing is, the WoW models do have skeletons and rigs on them. Its just that Daz is not seeing them.

It's not that DAZ isn't seeing them, the rigging is a different format than what DAZ uses and the FBX importer for DS is broken

I use 3DSMax, but have found carrara and blender to work also.

You could most likely use MikuMikuDance or Source Filmmaker too but I am unfamiliar with both 

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,592
    edited April 2019

Personally, I've never really had much luck with FBX as there are issues both with how DS imports, as well as how various other pieces of software export.

One other thing to consider is that there is much more to DAZ figures than just the "shape". If you really want to have a fully functional high resolution figure (posable with JCMs, changing expressions, wearing different clothes, etc.), then you might consider changing your approach by starting with a base figure (ie: g3 or g8 male/female) and creating morphs (shape) and mats (textures). There are a wide variety of assets you can purchase in the store and tweak to suit your needs to speed this process. Same thing goes for clothes. Of course, if you'd rather not spend any money, you can always create all the morphs, textures, and clothing yourself from scratch.

Played around with the model viewer a little bit years ago and simply imported OBJs and textures into DS. It was very limiting, but still fun even though the models were low poly:

Always was fond of Lady Syl . . . whatever you end up doing, please post back and show us what you come up with!

- Greg

wow-full-color-800.png
    800 x 800 - 838K
    Post edited by algovincian on
  • ThorThor Posts: 43
    edited May 2019

If you really want to have a fully functional high resolution figure (posable with JCMs, changing expressions, wearing different clothes, etc.), then you might consider changing your approach by starting with a base figure (ie: g3 or g8 male/female) and creating morphs (shape) and mats (textures).

Of course, if you'd rather not spend any money, you can always create all the morphs, textures, and clothing yourself from scratch.

I agree... though, I've been working on this for years using G3F.

I WAS able to rig WoW models in DAZ by importing the model and using transfer utility, but it was a fiddly process and the results were not that great (couldn't rig the faces, weird scaling, etc).

Post edited by Thor on
  • MoonCraft3DMoonCraft3D Posts: 379
    edited June 2019

What I have ended up doing is starting with a G8 model and customizing it to look the part. I have pulled from warcraft a few higher-end models to supplement with armor that is from the game to polish off the look.

Here is my Dark Ranger. She's from a crazy selection of scattered resources.

rangerfinal.png
    618 x 800 - 817K
    Post edited by MoonCraft3D on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,610
    • What I Want To Do: Import character models from World Of Warcraft and make them posable figures in Daz3d 4.10 Studio .. This is for making fan art.

You will have a much easier time with Blender for that. DAZ Studio is not good to import and customize fbx models.

• I guess I am ressurecting a thread here by bumping. I have a lot of interest in it and went down the poser path. Wow Model Viewer will allow you to export fully rigged Monsters etc. I tried with the Naga Centaur and exported ALL animations out in one go.  The Naga imported into Poser no problems. Once I got it in, I dragged and dropped a fbx animation file from File Explorer into the Poser scene and hit play on animation. Total success. I used Wendys suggestion and created a .CR2 to bring it into Daz But I had to create an object file for that folder which also worked. Still playing and about to try for animation in Daz but I dont think anyone needs to rig. If I can get things working I will leave another comment.

• springmelt_741c9fab34 said:

I guess I am ressurecting a thread here by bumping. I have a lot of interest in it and went down the poser path. Wow Model Viewer will allow you to export fully rigged Monsters etc. I tried with the Naga Centaur and exported ALL animations out in one go.  The Naga imported into Poser no problems. Once I got it in, I dragged and dropped a fbx animation file from File Explorer into the Poser scene and hit play on animation. Total success. I used Wendys suggestion and created a .CR2 to bring it into Daz But I had to create an object file for that folder which also worked. Still playing and about to try for animation in Daz but I dont think anyone needs to rig. If I can get things working I will leave another comment.

What format did you export from model viewer?