Genesis 8 Base problems in 3DL: male has no eyes and female is orange

I'm a newbie to Daz Studio and have been learning the ropes for a couple of weeks using Iray. Everything has worked great so I moved on to 3delight for the first time today, but that did not go well - at least not with Genesis 8 Base. The attached screenshots demonstrate my problem: the female is very orange and the male apparently couldn't bear looking at her so he gouged his eyes out. Other characters seem fine, my problem only appears with Genesis 8 base and only in 3DL.

What I did: loaded the Genesis 8 base figure, double-clicked on Base MAT All Maps (RSL) to get the 3DL skin, created a single distant light at default settings and rendered using default settings except using 3DL and with the headlamp set to never.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Genesis 8 Starter Essentials, but the problem remains. Also, note that the renders are considerably darker than the previews - is this normal or another sign that something is wrong? To get a reasonably well lit render using a single distant light I need to push the intensity to nearly 200%, at which point the preview is entirely washed out (the preview screenshots were taken before I added the light).

Mod edit :- To remove one image due to Nudity

EDIT:  Re-added the female preview, now wearing a censor bikini box. (I honestly couldn't imagine that a forum for a program in which characters are completely unclothed by default would have issues with just topless nudity.)

EDIT2:  The large black box that covered 95% of her breasts was apparently still too titillating, so I'll try one last upload cropped as identically as possible to the render that was deemed acceptable (and which incidentally is much more revealing).

male preview.PNG
747 x 987 - 709K
male 3DL render.PNG
755 x 824 - 518K
female 3DL render.PNG
753 x 824 - 501K
female preview.PNG
743 x 863 - 597K
Post edited by cheesecake23_adf7251ad7 on

Comments

• Censor boxes are not OK, please give her in-scene clothing or adjust the framing of the image (as with the render).

The preview is not reliable for things like skin - in attempting to mimic the effect of the sub-surface scattering it adds a near glow effect. I'm not sure whether the male's eyes are missing or just solid black.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

I'm a newbie to Daz Studio and have been learning the ropes for a couple of weeks using Iray. Everything has worked great so I moved on to 3delight for the first time today, but that did not go well - at least not with Genesis 8 Base. The attached screenshots demonstrate my problem: the female is very orange and the male apparently couldn't bear looking at her so he gouged his eyes out. Other characters seem fine, my problem only appears with Genesis 8 base and only in 3DL.

What I did: loaded the Genesis 8 base figure, double-clicked on Base MAT All Maps (RSL) to get the 3DL skin, created a single distant light at default settings and rendered using default settings except using 3DL and with the headlamp set to never.

I uninstalled and reinstalled Genesis 8 Starter Essentials, but the problem remains. Also, note that the renders are considerably darker than the previews - is this normal or another sign that something is wrong? To get a reasonably well lit render using a single distant light I need to push the intensity to nearly 200%, at which point the preview is entirely washed out (the preview screenshots were taken before I added the light).

Mod edit :- To remove one image due to Nudity

EDIT:  Re-added the female preview, now wearing a censor bikini box. (I honestly couldn't imagine that a forum for a program in which characters are completely unclothed by default would have issues with just topless nudity.)

EDIT2:  The large black box that covered 95% of her breasts was apparently still too titillating, so I'll try one last upload cropped as identically as possible to the render that was deemed acceptable (and which incidentally is much more revealing).

Hi! A couple of things about 3DL: Shadows are off by default for the DS standard lights you create. If you want shadows, select the light, go to parameters/light and set shadow type to raytraced. You might also set shadow bias to 0.1 to avoid artefacts.

Secondly, you need to create some sort of global illumination in addition to your direct lighting, 3DL in it's default DS implementation doesn't do that automatically like IRay. With proper indirect lighting, you won't have to crank up the lights to 200%. YOu can use the UE2 environment that ships free with DS or get the AoA advanced lights or IBL-Master from the store. Or just fake it with a number of low intensity spots/distant lights with shadows turned off. Or you can pick up the aweShader kit and do scripted pathtracing with just about the same level of realism as IRay, global illumination works like IRay, no need to think about it.

And lastly, rendersettings: First thing to do, turn ON gamma correction and set gamma to 2.20!!! If not, you will never have accurate shading, this SHOULD be the default setting but it's not. Check the sample settings, trace depth may have to be increased for the eyes to render correctly.

Most of the info about 3DL is buried in these forums, so don't hesitate to ask if you run into trouble;)

• Thanks, I turned on GC and set gamma to 2.2, and now I can just make out the pupils of the eyes which are now just "mostly black". So the eye problem remains.

I have the AoA lights but didn't bring them up because I wanted to keep my example simple. Of course adding additional lights to the scene means that I don't have to crank any of them to 200%, but my point was that whenever I illuminate the subject enough to get a decent render (however I do that) the preview becomes washed out. To me this is in itself an indication of a problem. I understand that the OpenGL engine only provides a rough approximation of the 3DL render, but the lighting difference of the preview and the final render is not subtle.

I want to be able to do basic 3DL renders because my ultimate goal is to use Visual Style Shaders (which require 3DL) for a cell-shaded anime look.

I tried tweaking all render settings with extra time spent in the Sampling submenu, but nothing affected the black eyes or the orange skin of the girl. So I still can't use Genesis 8 Base in 3DL. :(  Any other suggestions?

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    edited April 2019

Thanks, I turned on GC and set gamma to 2.2, and now I can just make out the pupils of the eyes which are now just "mostly black". So the eye problem remains.

I have the AoA lights but didn't bring them up because I wanted to keep my example simple. Of course adding additional lights to the scene means that I don't have to crank any of them to 200%, but my point was that whenever I illuminate the subject enough to get a decent render (however I do that) the preview becomes washed out. To me this is in itself an indication of a problem. I understand that the OpenGL engine only provides a rough approximation of the 3DL render, but the lighting difference of the preview and the final render is not subtle.

I can't really see a problem, preview is not to be trusted:)

I want to be able to do basic 3DL renders because my ultimate goal is to use Visual Style Shaders (which require 3DL) for a cell-shaded anime look.

I tried tweaking all render settings with extra time spent in the Sampling submenu, but nothing affected the black eyes or the orange skin of the girl. So I still can't use Genesis 8 Base in 3DL. :(  Any other suggestions?

The eye problem is most certainly a surface setting issue, as is the orange skin of the girl. I don't have G8 installed atm, but post the settings for the eye surface/moisture, sclera, iris and pupill, (are there other eye surfaces?). For the eye moisture/cornea, try the DS default shader, lighting model glossy plastic, diffuse strength 0, spec color pure white, glossiness 88%, spec strength 100%, opacity 0, multiply specular through opacity off, reflection 50% pure white, refraction strength 100, index of refraction 1.33, color pure white. Also if there is a cornea bulge correction morph or similar, turn it on!

'As for the girl, I'd look into the SSS settings and adjust something in there.

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Did we ever resolve the "no eyes" on Genesis 8 Males? Mine has no eyes either.

forum.png
    1280 x 720 - 303K
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,392

Did you apply 3DL materials to the figure?

One thing that could cause white eyes like that would be if the cornea was missing transparency.