Import custom 3D model and use Genesis morph

Hi, I'm looking information about this but I did not find anything.

What I want is to manually reduce the number of Genesis polygons (decimator is not a valid option). So what I want is to import the Genesis model from DAZ to blender and then reduce the polygons.

But I want to reduce the polygons, import the new model to DAZ and then be able to use all Genesis morphs in that custom model with reduced polygons. And if I then buy licenses like Genesis Evolution Bundle, Michael 4-5 or anyone who uses Genesis as a base, I can use those morphs in my custom model.

In short, I want to establish a Genesis custom model with fewer polygons as a base model Genesis.

It's possible?

Comments

• Morphs depend on the vertex count and order. Depending on Blender's abilities you might be able to export all the morphs as OBJs, load them as morphs in Blender (it can do that, I'm fairly sure), then reduce the mesh resolution, export the base and morphs as OBJ, load them into DS, and rebuild the linkages. Not a small task, and wouldn't help with later additions.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,722

So what are you using the lower poly genesis for? I have found decimator to work well for my needs.

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983

Shure it is possible - I would do the following. In Blender reduce the polygons of Genesis as you like. Blender got this Decimate Modifier set it to Un-Subdivide with an even number works best. Then export the OBJ from Blender. Import the OBJ into Daz Studio. Finaly run the Transfer Utility with the right settings. There are a few settings leave most of them at default but the most important is Replace Source with Target to get what you want.

You need to run the Transfer Utility process again for new purchased morphs first marking them as favourits. This time in the Transfer Utility you only need to select Morphs: Favourits and Subcomponents to get the new morphs to your low-poly version.

• dmputadmputa Posts: 36

Thank you very much everyone, guys. laugh The most promising option seems is that of Syrus_Dante, so think I'm going to start with that option.

Morphs depend on the vertex count and order. Depending on Blender's abilities you might be able to export all the morphs as OBJs, load them as morphs in Blender (it can do that, I'm fairly sure), then reduce the mesh resolution, export the base and morphs as OBJ, load them into DS, and rebuild the linkages. Not a small task, and wouldn't help with later additions.

The truth is that I don't know how to do several of the things you mention. I found an explanation of how to export morphs, but they simply exported several OBJ models with each morph activated. I don't think that's what you meant. I also don't know how to import morphs to blender.

So what are you using the lower poly genesis for? I have found decimator to work well for my needs.

I'm doing a video game in Unity and I'm creating a character editor. I have tried the Blender decimator and, first, it doesn't work because it doesn't allow using decimator in a model with key shapes. And second, it's not the best way to reduce a model and I think I could reduce it more and better manually. I imagine that the DAZ decimator is the same or very similar to the Blender decimator, but it is very expensive for a simple test.

But if I can not reduce it by myself, surely the DAZ decimator will be the option I use.

Shure it is possible - I would do the following. In Blender reduce the polygons of Genesis as you like. Blender got this Decimate Modifier set it to Un-Subdivide with an even number works best. Then export the OBJ from Blender. Import the OBJ into Daz Studio. Finaly run the Transfer Utility with the right settings. There are a few settings leave most of them at default but the most important is Replace Source with Target to get what you want.

You need to run the Transfer Utility process again for new purchased morphs first marking them as favourits. This time in the Transfer Utility you only need to select Morphs: Favourits and Subcomponents to get the new morphs to your low-poly version.

You or someone else could specify more how to get what you say? For example, how to correctly use Transfer Utility to transfer normal Genesis morphs to my Genesis low poly. It would be great something explained step by step, I'm not an expert in DAZ. frown

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,055

You need to Wishlist Decimator and wait for an awesome sale, it can create levels of detail for your figures which is like high resolution in reverse and yes all morphs if  baked ie appear along timeline export as FBX, I don’t use Unity but this works for iClone!

Bear in mind for a redistributable game you will need a game developer license for every additional morph set you use as well as for the base set and it’s included morphs and since those are all $50 too it gets expensive fast!

• PsyckosamaPsyckosama Posts: 495

You need to Wishlist Decimator and wait for an awesome sale, it can create levels of detail for your figures which is like high resolution in reverse and yes all morphs if  baked ie appear along timeline export as FBX, I don’t use Unity but this works for iClone!

Bear in mind for a redistributable game you will need a game developer license for every additional morph set you use as well as for the base set and it’s included morphs and since those are all $50 too it gets expensive fast!

Yeah. To say Daz is game dev unfriendly is kinda an understatement.

He'd be much better off looking into alternative resources.

• Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983

@ dmputa

Licensing aside as long as you don't distribute the unity game I guess it counts as feasibility study.

Over the time I made a few screenshots of the important settings and dialogs here you have them with short instructions. These are my ten steps to success even if you are not an expert. I hope it works for you.

1. hide everything in the scene but the genesis figure, select it and go to Parameters pane set Mesh Resolution to Base

2. File>Export choose Wavefront OBJ

3. Daz Studio export OBJ options

4. in Blender File>Import>Wavefront OBJ in the bottom left corner you will see these options set them like showen Keep Vert Order / Forward / Up - press the plus button to save a preset

5. do your decimation try the Decimate Modifier select it from the Add Modifier menu with the settings below Un-Subdivide Iterations:2

6. export the decimated genesis File>Export>Wavefront OBJ in the bottom left corner again you get some options select them like showen on the right

- also notice the Forward and Up settings

- you can add a preset here so you don't have to select everything everytime

7. back in Daz Studio File>Import (you can also drag and drop OBJs from the file browser into the viewport) you get this dialog set it like showen below

- it's important too keep the same scale as you exported

8. now that you have the decimated and the default genesis figures in the scene run the Transfer Utility

Source Item: original Genesis - Target Item: decimated Genesis

- uncheck Face Groups and Surface Groups the model got imported with those already

- Merge Hierarchies is not neccessary

- select Morph Targets: From Source: All (default is None)

- select Replace Source With Target - no post transfer options needed

9. you should also consider to reduce the ammount of surfaces and textures for better game performance - I read somewhere this is important for less draw cycels and better FPS - more Surfaces = less FPS

- for reducing the ammount of textures and resolution have a look at this post Instructions for using the texture atlas

- the next thing I would do is to combine several surface groups in the Daz Studio Geometry Editor - just select a few surfaces to combine - if you followed the Instructions for using the Texture Atlas you get a better understanding of which surface is needed and which is not - basicly you would need a seperate shader for skin, eyes, mouth maybe an extra for teeth thats it

- right-click on a surface in the list and choose Add Selection to Surface (I didn't found a better picture to show that)

10. the latest step would be exporting the genesis figure with clothes as FBX I can't help you with that

There are also a few youtube tutorials that explain this eg. Daz3D Genesis3 to Unity3D - Full Tutorial - Youtube

• dmputadmputa Posts: 36
    edited April 2019

This is awesome, you have surpassed any expectations that I might have, you rock Syrus. laugh It is a very detailed and well explained tutorial, I have tried it and it works like a charm. With this I can have a Genesis low poly model and add morphs that I buy in the future. Thank you very much for your help. And I also appreciate the help that the other members have given me, you are a great community. smiley

Yes, I know, I was investigating and, in fact, I asked in this forum several months ago about the issue of DAZ licenses in videogames. I know it's expensive but DAZ has many morphs and they save me time and work of making them myself.

He'd be much better off looking into alternative resources.

What others alternatives are there to all the morphs in DAZ?

Post edited by dmputa on
  • SspettmannSspettmann Posts: 1
    edited June 2020

@ dmputa

Licensing aside as long as you don't distribute the unity game I guess it counts as feasibility study.

Over the time I made a few screenshots of the important settings and dialogs here you have them with short instructions. These are my ten steps to success even if you are not an expert. I hope it works for you.

1. hide everything in the scene but the genesis figure, select it and go to Parameters pane set Mesh Resolution to Base

2. File>Export choose Wavefront OBJ

3. Daz Studio export OBJ options

4. in Blender File>Import>Wavefront OBJ in the bottom left corner you will see these options set them like showen Keep Vert Order / Forward / Up - press the plus button to save a preset

5. do your decimation try the Decimate Modifier select it from the Add Modifier menu with the settings below Un-Subdivide Iterations:2

6. export the decimated genesis File>Export>Wavefront OBJ in the bottom left corner again you get some options select them like showen on the right

- also notice the Forward and Up settings

- you can add a preset here so you don't have to select everything everytime

7. back in Daz Studio File>Import (you can also drag and drop OBJs from the file browser into the viewport) you get this dialog set it like showen below

- it's important too keep the same scale as you exported

8. now that you have the decimated and the default genesis figures in the scene run the Transfer Utility

Source Item: original Genesis - Target Item: decimated Genesis

- uncheck Face Groups and Surface Groups the model got imported with those already

- Merge Hierarchies is not neccessary

- select Morph Targets: From Source: All (default is None)

- select Replace Source With Target - no post transfer options needed

9. you should also consider to reduce the ammount of surfaces and textures for better game performance - I read somewhere this is important for less draw cycels and better FPS - more Surfaces = less FPS

- for reducing the ammount of textures and resolution have a look at this post Instructions for using the texture atlas

- the next thing I would do is to combine several surface groups in the Daz Studio Geometry Editor - just select a few surfaces to combine - if you followed the Instructions for using the Texture Atlas you get a better understanding of which surface is needed and which is not - basicly you would need a seperate shader for skin, eyes, mouth maybe an extra for teeth thats it

- right-click on a surface in the list and choose Add Selection to Surface (I didn't found a better picture to show that)

10. the latest step would be exporting the genesis figure with clothes as FBX I can't help you with that

There are also a few youtube tutorials that explain this eg. Daz3D Genesis3 to Unity3D - Full Tutorial - Youtube

Sorry for necroposting but when i follow this steps the result always looks like this:

could someone tell me what im doing wrong?
    I use DAZ Studio 4.12 and Blender 2.83

Post edited by Sspettmann on