CARRARA CHALLENGE 46: Get your Retro on

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited April 2019

Agree with @wscottart, this challenge WIP thread has amazing tutorials.  Thank you, @Bunyip02_Carrara.

So, for retro, I'm updating a technique I tried in an earlier challenge to make a rainbow.

1) Modeled a simple rectangle and create a square uvmap.

2)  Rigged and applied a skeleton and posed as an arch.

3)  For the shader, I used a color gradient in the diffuse channel.  I clicked to add rainbow colors to the gradient.

4)  I placed a black / white gradient in the driver of the color gradient.

5)  I did a test render of the rainbow model.

aa01 Rainbow model and uvmap.JPG
    1884 x 822 - 154K
    aa02 rig the model in animation group and create an arch.JPG
    1902 x 951 - 233K
    aa04 color gradient shader with gradient map loaded.JPG
    1910 x 618 - 88K
    aa05 texture map in gradient channel.JPG
    1920 x 562 - 93K
    Gradient Map JPG.jpg
    512 x 512 - 24K
    aa06 test render.jpg
    640 x 480 - 15K
    Post edited by Diomede on
    edited April 2019

6) Can flip the rainbow colors by rotating the map in the shader tree with the little arrow icons.

7)  Add a 70s flower child with that Garfunkel hair perm  (P7 Simon with 70s outfit from content paradise, hair is custom)

aa07 test render 2 rotate map.jpg
    640 x 480 - 16K
    test with p7 simon and hair perm.jpg
    640 x 480 - 22K
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,811
    edited April 2019

not an entry as I don't think it fits the retro theme

just wanted to show four LoRenzos with shaders adjusted and changed in each one.. modeled the beanies and cap and changed the Howie sign to a school sign

South Park.png
    900 x 675 - 1M
    Post edited by Stezza on
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927

Heya I'm back :)

Thanks for taking up the challenge leadership Bunyip02. What a great intro you made with all those references. A shader wiki. :)

Diomede - you've captured the spirit beautifully - who needs drugs? :)

And Stezza, you've extracted more than I ever thought could be done from tjose lowrenzos

• Bunyip02Bunyip02 Posts: 7,750

Agree with @wscottart, this challenge WIP thread has amazing tutorials.  Thank you, @Bunyip02_Carrara.

So, for retro, I'm updating a technique I tried in an earlier challenge to make a rainbow.

1) Modeled a simple rectangle and create a square uvmap.

2)  Rigged and applied a skeleton and posed as an arch.

3)  For the shader, I used a color gradient in the diffuse channel.  I clicked to add rainbow colors to the gradient.

4)  I placed a black / white gradient in the driver of the color gradient.

5)  I did a test render of the rainbow model.

Thanks, there are some amazing tutorials around, hopefully this thread will help people locate them.

Excellent workflow Diomede, with some very nice shader tips as well - great work !!!

not an entry as I don't think it fits the retro theme

just wanted to show four LoRenzos with shaders adjusted and changed in each one.. modeled the beanies and cap and changed the Howie sign to a school sign

Nice work on Lorenzo.

For themes you have AstroBoy, Alf, and Lost In Space - go for it !!!

Heya I'm back :)

Thanks for taking up the challenge leadership Bunyip02. What a great intro you made with all those references. A shader wiki. :)

Diomede - you've captured the spirit beautifully - who needs drugs? :)

And Stezza, you've extracted more than I ever thought could be done from tjose lowrenzos

Welcome back - we missed you !!!

Hope you've got some renders lined up for the Challenge !

edited April 2019

Speaking of Lorenzo and changing his clothes, has anyone else used some of the Iray shaders on Carrara clothing ?

Using Iray Cloth Shaders in Carrara
    1. Open DAZ Install Manager (DIM), rightclick mouse button on your Iray Shaders set, click on Show Installed Files...
    2. Installed Files window opens, browse down to find file locations
    3. Open file explorer to locate the files
    4. On your figure clothing, double click on the clothing shader to open it
    5. In the Color Texture Map slot
    6. Open file location and load the required texture map
    7. In the Bump Texture Map slot
    8. Open file location and load the required texture map
    9. Do test render to check how the shader looks
    10. Want something different load another set of texture maps

Shader Lorenzo 1.png
    3021 x 1028 - 1M
    Shader Lorenzo 2.png
    2265 x 1039 - 452K
    Shader Lorenzo 3.png
    2269 x 1042 - 485K
    Shader Lorenzo 4.png
    2267 x 1039 - 512K
    Post edited by Bunyip02 on
  • MarkIsSleepyMarkIsSleepy Posts: 1,496
    edited April 2019

Nice theme!

Now that I finally have my new computer fully up to speed, hopefully I will have some time to make an entry. The next thing on my to-do list with the new computer is to finally play with Fluidos, but maybe I can combine that with the challenge somehow. I do have an idea for an interesting water shader effect... laugh

This might be a good one to apply some GMIC filters to for that fully retro feel.

(These are just examples, not the start of my entry... @Dartanbeck's Badlands with three different GMIC filters applied)

I like this one - looks like a good starting point for a retro travel poster. Just need to add some posterization effects (which GMIOC also has included!).

Badlands_60sCinema.JPG
    1038 x 533 - 177K
    Badlands_60sCinemaHarryH.JPG
    1241 x 737 - 247K
    Badlands_RetroFade.JPG
    1239 x 736 - 227K
    Post edited by MarkIsSleepy on
    MDO2010 said:

Nice theme!

Now that I finally have my new computer fully up to speed, hopefully I will have some time to make an entry. The next thing on my to-do list with the new computer is to finally play with Fluidos, but maybe I can combine that with the challenge somehow. I do have an idea for an interesting water shader effect... laugh

This might be a good one to apply some GMIC filters to for that fully retro feel.

(These are just examples, not the start of my entry... @Dartanbeck's Badlands with three different GMIC filters applied)

I like this one - looks like a good starting point for a retro travel poster. Just need to add some posterization effects (which GMIOC also has included!).

Thanks, great news on the new computer, looking forward to what you come up with !!

edited April 2019

Exploring Enhance C shaders - for my scene "The Twilight Zone"

Scene is based on the 1959 episode "Time Enough At Last"

Used Stonemason's "After the War" as the scene filler, wanted to do a swirly Twilight Zone background so I created a plane for the shader.

1. Used the Default shader as the base, in the Color slot.

2. Scrolled down to Enhance:C

3. Picked Enhance:C Geometric

4. In the Function box

5. Picked Spiral, then applied the shader to the plane-background

Used Genesis as the figure, "Effortless Cool for Genesis Male" as the clothes. As the scene is a post Nuclear War environment I wanted to grubby up the skin and clothes shaders.

6. In the Color slot which has the texture map for the skin/clothes I wanted to use a Mixer

7. Browsed down to Operators

8. Picked Mixer

9. With the Mixer setup, I leave Source 1 Texture Map alone, in the Source 2 slot

10. Browsed down to Enhance:C

11. Picked Enhance:C Organic 1

12. In the Function box

13. Picked Dirt

14. In the Blender slot

15. Browsed down to Value (0-100%)

16. Adjusted the value to 50.00%

I repeated this for all the skin & clothes shaders

Twilight Zone 1 Carrara.png
    2265 x 1039 - 1M
    Shader EnhanceC Spiral 1.png
    1576 x 875 - 362K
    Twilight Zone 1 render.png
    1600 x 2290 - 4M
    Twilight Zone 1 shader a.png
    1532 x 866 - 347K
    Twilight Zone 1 shader b.png
    1541 x 866 - 312K
  • HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,927
    edited April 2019

wow Bunyip and all, really enjoying your posts and learning as I go!!

Here's something to throw my cards on the table . a Tiny Tim Impersonaot to celebrate International Tiny Tim Day.

Of coures Tiny isn't tip toeing through tulips anymore, ironically he is pushing daisies instead (daisies).

Added a few eyebrows to Uncle Albert shader for m4 and reshaded the coat.

Something worth investifating is the eyebrow s that come with M4 - be fun doing a transmap for them - be back tommorrow and take a closer look at the rest of the thread 

after bending in post

tiny1liquify.jpg
    1200 x 2000 - 3M
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,229

Speaking of Twilight Zone, I was just messing around with Stonemason's After The War within my Badlands EnvironKit! LOL (before seeing these posts!)

Of course, as usual these days, it started making my laptop grind to a halt until I finally just had to abort. :(

Very cool renders! HW, Welcome home, my friend!

Wow, bunyip02, just rockin' the tuts! Enhance C has a LOT to it, eh? Amazing stuff. 

edited April 2019

Here is a comparison. I did this quite a while ago with Enhance C to take it (Enhance C) for another test spin.

This is the Base Texture before any Carrara changes

This doesn't leave much of the original texture intact - almost all done in Enhance C

EnC T2000 01C.jpg
    800 x 1060 - 164K
    EnC T2000 01.jpg
    800 x 1060 - 227K
    Post edited by Dartanbeck on

The Enhance C version doesn't use a single image map - all done via the various channels available in Enhance C.

I'm certainly not that great at doing these things myself from scratch. Not yet, not like this. I started with some of the example shaders that came with Enhance C and tweaked the parameters to fit. The actual shader tree layout is quite the thing for some of them, like the Starhip Hull used for parts of it has a complex layer list with various functions driving opacity of layers to create the effect. Pretty cool stuff.

wow Bunyip and all, really enjoying your posts and learning as I go!!

Here's something to throw my cards on the table . a Tiny Tim Impersonaot to celebrate International Tiny Tim Day.

Of coures Tiny isn't tip toeing through tulips anymore, ironically he is pushing daisies instead (daisies).

Added a few eyebrows to Uncle Albert shader for m4 and reshaded the coat.

Something worth investifating is the eyebrow s that come with M4 - be fun doing a transmap for them - be back tommorrow and take a closer look at the rest of the thread 

after bending in post

Very cool Headwax - love the texture effects, don't forget your Shader WIP to add to the work in here !

Very cool renders! HW, Welcome home, my friend!

Wow, bunyip02, just rockin' the tuts! Enhance C has a LOT to it, eh? Amazing stuff. 

Was hoping there would be quite a few extra tutes/mini tutes through the thread, aim being to get the newbies thinking "Wow" instead of "Eeeek" as well as being food for thought for any more experienced Carrara users. Enhance C has lots to explore !!!

Here is a comparison. I did this quite a while ago with Enhance C to take it (Enhance C) for another test spin.

This is the Base Texture before any Carrara changes

This doesn't leave much of the original texture intact - almost all done in Enhance C

Thats one bad-ass looking mech !!!!

edited April 2019

With that bad-ass glow on that Mech of Dart's render it's time to do some glow shader tutes.

Glow Shader Example 1

1. Modifying the Glow slot (Texture Map for Color & Bump slots already loaded)
    2. Go down to Operators
    3. Pick Multiply
    4. Choose Source 1
    5. Choose Enhance:C
    6. Choose Enhance:C Organic 1
    7. Choose Function
    8. Choose Caustic
    9. Click on Transform Tab, tick Enable Transform
    10. Change Overall to 0.75
    11. Choose Source 2, select Color
    12. Click on Color box
    13. Select Color in Color Picker

Shader Example 1.png
    1540 x 915 - 425K
    Shader Example 1A-1.png
    1562 x 939 - 399K
    Shader Example 1A-2.png
    1562 x 862 - 295K
    edited April 2019

Glow Shader Example 2

1. Modifying the Color Slot (Texture Map for Color & Bump slots already loaded)
    2. Go down to Operators
    3. Pick Mixer
    4. Source 2, pick Color
    5. Click on Color box
    6. Select Color in Color Picker
    7. Blender Slot
    8. Choose Enhance:C
    9. Choose Enhance:C Organic 1 (or Enhance:C Noise)
    10. Choose Function
    11. Choose Dirt (if using Enhance:C Noise try Function Bozo or Turbulence)
    12. Modifying the Glow slot
    13. Go down to Operators
    14. Pick Mixer
    15. Choose Source 1, select Color
    16. Click on Color box
    17. Select Color in Color Picker
    18. Source 2. Repeat steps 8 to 11
    19. Blender Slot
    20. Choose Value (0-100%)
    21. Dial in on slider or enter value

Shader Example 2.png
    1356 x 872 - 409K
    Shader Example 2b.png
    1605 x 903 - 406K
    Shader Example 2c.png
    1589 x 940 - 407K
    Shader Example 2d.png
    1602 x 860 - 330K
    Shader Example 2e.png
    1602 x 934 - 329K
    edited April 2019

Glow Shader Example 3

1. Modifying the Color Slot (Texture Map for Bump slot already loaded, need a Color base)
    2. Go down to Operators
    3. Pick Multiply
    4. Source 1, pick Color
    5. Click on Color box
    6. Select Color in Color Picker
    7. Source 2 slot
    8. Choose Noise Functions
    9. Choose Fractal Noise
    10. Select one of the types of Fractal Noise
    11. Adjust Settings
    12. Modifying the Glow slot, pick Color
    13. Click on Color box
    14. Select Color in Color Picker

Shader Example 3.png
    1536 x 890 - 293K
    Shader Example 3b.png
    1516 x 896 - 298K
    Shader Example 3c.png
    2267 x 1039 - 698K

Update - PA Sponsor Stonemason - a very big thank-you !!!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4483716/#Comment_4483716

edited April 2019

Update - PA Sponsor Stonemason - a very big thank-you !!!

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4483716/#Comment_4483716

super awesome!!!

thank you, Stonemason.  Will have to review my account and see if I have one of your sets that fits the theme.

- Dart, thanks for showing how you got that worn look for the ‘bot.  

- MDO, great use of the GMIC filters, really getting that retro look for Darts badlands.

- Bunyip, can’t wait to see the final twilight zone image.  Off to a great start.  Thanks for all of the really detailed walk throughs.  Will make sure to use at least one in this challenge, but am confident will be using many for personal projects.

-Stezza, snow lo-renzo just needs one kid to have his tongue stuck to a pole to be retro “Christmas Story”!

- Headwax, excellent caricature, recognized immediately - and thanks for your comment on mine.  Back then, Rainbows could be an excellent accessory, but drugs...  oh, won’t go there.  smiley

hope I didn’t miss anyone.

OK, after an exhaustive research effort (3 comments on Facebook), I have concluded the difference between “retro” and “vintage” as it applies to me for this challenge.  An internationally recognized expert (one of my former university house mates) googled the terms and reported that something that is vintage is genuinely old and from the era of interest.  Related, but slightly different, something retro is new but made to appear like it is from the older era.  Thus, in the ultimately complex application, props from the stage plays/movies “Grease” and “Music Man” are both vintage and retro.  They are vintage in that they would be from the era of the plays/movies, but they would be retro because the plays/movies were set in eras before the production of the plays/movies.  

Applies only to myself.  Not sure where it leads me.  But I think the vintage/retro distinction is intriguing.

OK, after an exhaustive research effort (3 comments on Facebook), I have concluded the difference between “retro” and “vintage” as it applies to me for this challenge.  An internationally recognized expert (one of my former university house mates) googled the terms and reported that something that is vintage is genuinely old and from the era of interest.  Related, but slightly different, something retro is new but made to appear like it is from the older era.  Thus, in the ultimately complex application, props from the stage plays/movies “Grease” and “Music Man” are both vintage and retro.  They are vintage in that they would be from the era of the plays/movies, but they would be retro because the plays/movies were set in eras before the production of the plays/movies.  

Applies only to myself.  Not sure where it leads me.  But I think the vintage/retro distinction is intriguing.

Thanks! I was puzzling with that myself... but not anymore!

Have you also checked out - Retrofuturism ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrofuturism

Have you also checked out - Retrofuturism ? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Retrofuturism

it appears that the 3 Facebook comments are not the exhaustive research I had imagined  LOL

that retrofuturism page is so much fun.  Thanks for the link.

interesting... maybe my fridge will come in handy 

thanks for the info @diomede_Carrara

btw - is that a new retro avatar you have cool

started to model a head for the challenge  ...