Deforming skin with tight clothes

TsubaTsuba Posts: 78

Hello again !

I'm trying to get tight clothes to slightly deform the skin like so :

Perhaps a little less than that but you get the idea. Because as of now I get this :

Which doesn't look very realistic.
Any idea how to do that in DAZ ?

Thanks !

Post edited by Tsuba on

Comments

• Unfortunately if the clothing doesn't come with suitable HD morphs your options are limited as the mesh resolution is not hgh enough to do that kind of thing. For a still image you could generate a displacement map, or even just scultp a copy of the figure turned into a higher-resolution statue, but that would hav to be per garment and per pose.

• TsubaTsuba Posts: 78
    edited April 2019

I thought I saw those clothes that did that somewhere. Thought I might give these the same property somehow.

Would generating a displacement map be per pose as well ?

Anyway thanx for your response.

Post edited by Tsuba on
  • There are several real Fit and similar outfits that come with HD moprhs for the base figure to show the effect you want.

No, a displacement map would be usable on any pose as long as the parts of the clothing that dug in didn't move (which is also true of the HD morphs).

• IsaacNewtonIsaacNewton Posts: 1,300
    edited April 2019

I realise that this is not available at the moment, but would it be possible for DAZ3d to make a plugin (or even make it standard) for DAZ Studio such that the figure mesh could deform locally when colliding with another figure (such as clothing, or another character) or object (such as a chair) in order to make such interactions more realistic? I expect that such local mesh deformations would be very calculation intensive, requiring the figure (and possibly the clothing/object as well) to be sub-divided a number of times. Certainly this would not be realistic when using DS on a less powerful machine (such as a smart phone, tablet or laptop) but many, if not most, users of DS have quite powerful computers. Furthermore, this type of deformation could be "on demand".

Post edited by IsaacNewton on
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@IsaacNewton "but many, if not most, users of DS have quite powerful computers. "

Clearly not the case if you pay attention to the whining about long render, complex environments, etc.

Still would be nice to have the option. :)

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited April 2019

Well, it is a bit fiddly, and I'm not certain that the degree of deformation that your original image indicated would be possible, but here is something you could try. Apply your clothing item to your figure, but do not use "fit to" - you'll need to fit it the old-fashioned way. Now, select your figure and add a smoothing modifier. Under the parameters tab set the collision item to be your clothing. With the clothing properly positioned, you will need to adjust the sizing to "shrink' it into the figure's flesh . You will need to play a bit with collision iterations and possibly SubD to get the right effect. The clothing item may remain somewhat embedded in the flesh, so simply turn off the visibility, load a second copy of the item and fit it into position (once again, not "fit to") and you should at least have a subtle indentation. Example attached.

BikiniTest.jpg
    952 x 1022 - 260K
    Post edited by SixDs on
  • JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

That is clever @SixDs! The only issue I see is that since an object can only have one collision defined for smoothing, it would only work if you wanted to deform the figure around a single piece of clothing.

My first thought to accomplish the OP's goal was to see if a DFormers would work. But you may still run into issues with the density of the figure's mesh not being high enough. And if you're animating, you'd have to adjust the dform settings for each key frame as well.

I know that Aeon Soul has created some items recently that had figure morphs included to accomplish this sort of thing. For instance their HollowFlow product has morphs on the legs for the effect of the boots and body objects. These were definitely packaged as morphs to the Genesis 8 Female figure and have to be manually applied by the artist after the clothing is loaded.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited April 2019

" it would only work if you wanted to deform the figure around a single piece of clothing."

That is true, JonnyRay, strictly speaking. But then, still "thinking outside the box", it occurred to me that if you turned several clothing items into one, that would solve that problem. Then I thought, "what if you created a group and included all the necessary items in that, then had the figure collide with the group rather than the individual items?" Guess what? It works! So for future reference, if you need something to collide with more than one thing, group 'em. You can then use my earlier approach of hiding the group and adding in new versions of the original items individually that you can adjust as you see fit.

(P.S. if you want to try it, just load a figure and use a bikini top and bottom to create indents by grouping the two, then shrinking them against the figure. Now hide the items and check out the results using a spot render.)

Post edited by SixDs on

Sounds good. I'll give it a try as soon as I can. :)

• @Tsuba I think I got here too late. I'm searching for the same kind of deforming for tight clothes.

What if we export the character to blender, make the deformation, and import back as a morph to Daz? How hard it would be? I only had the time to search about, so I didn't try yet.

I imagine it would be like this:

Set our characters with the clothes already adjusted and export them separated as .obj format.
    Load both in Blender and deform the character only using the cloth as reference and export back as .obj.
    Load the .obj file as a morph for you character in Daz Studio.

I found a video showing the basic of this export and import stuff in Daz/Blender. Here it is.
    I think it might work, and Blender is not that hard to learn, but I think people here already have some experience with it.
    I will try when I have the time. Hope it works for me.
    If you found another way that wasn't thoshe commented here in the thread too I would be gladly if you share. =)

• JPJP Posts: 60
    SixDs said:

Apply your clothing item to your figure, but do not use "fit to" - you'll need to fit it the old-fashioned way.

Sorry newbie here. What is the old fashioned way to fit the item? I would like tro try your suggestion.

Thanks!

• JPJP Posts: 60
    SixDs said:

" it would only work if you wanted to deform the figure around a single piece of clothing."

Could you export multiple clothing items and import them back into DAZ as one single object? I've seen videos on Youtube where this was done so that multiple objects could deform a single object.