How to import a .mdl file into Daz Studio?

Hi, I was wondering if there is way to import all the materials of a scene made in external software (C4D) into Daz Studio. 

I have a .mdl file, I am able to open it in the shader mixer but I can get it to be aplyed in the objects, or turn it into Iray shaders. 

Links to documentation and videos are most welcome. 

Thanks 

Comments

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

I've discussed this with a couple of shader builders that I respect and the general consensus is that importing straight MDL might be possible, but nobody has figured it out yet. :) One of the issues that we've struggled with is that a lot of MDL seems to call standard Nvidia libraries which aren't always easily accessible from within Shader Mixer.

• JonnyRay said:

I've discussed this with a couple of shader builders that I respect and the general consensus is that importing straight MDL might be possible, but nobody has figured it out yet. :) One of the issues that we've struggled with is that a lot of MDL seems to call standard Nvidia libraries which aren't always easily accessible from within Shader Mixer.

Hi JonnyRay, 

Thanks for telling me. 

This MDL import export seams to remaing an enigmatic paradox. They marketed as interchangeable but one needs to manualy redo the shaders. That is anoying, hoping a better solution cames in the near future. 

• The MDL file needs to be ina  known directory, set in Edit>MDL Directory Manager in the Shader Mixer pane (not the main DS Edit menu).

Once that is taken care of, start a new shader, clear out the default bricks since you don't need them, drag in a new MDL Surface from the Brickyard under Bricks(Default)>Roots (you can also do this by right-click), open the folder with your MDL file in Explorer/Finder andd rag it into the Shader Mixer work area to create a brick, connect the output MT to the input of the MDL Surface brick, add a Bricks(Default)>Functions>Utility>User Parameters brick (again, you can also do this from the right-click menu), hold down opt(Mac)/alt(Win) and drag from one of the inputs on your MDL (assuming it has any) to the Auto Add connector on the User parameters brick and it will create paramaeters for all the inputs (which will then be available in the Surfaces pane).

Apply your shader to selected surfaces on selected items by clicking the Apply button at bottom-right of the Shader Mixer pane, adjust surface proeprties if desired, and render.

• The MDL file needs to be ina  known directory, set in Edit>MDL Directory Manager in the Shader Mixer pane (not the main DS Edit menu).

Once that is taken care of, start a new shader, clear out the default bricks since you don't need them, drag in a new MDL Surface from the Brickyard under Bricks(Default)>Roots (you can also do this by right-click), open the folder with your MDL file in Explorer/Finder andd rag it into the Shader Mixer work area to create a brick, connect the output MT to the input of the MDL Surface brick, add a Bricks(Default)>Functions>Utility>User Parameters brick (again, you can also do this from the right-click menu), hold down opt(Mac)/alt(Win) and drag from one of the inputs on your MDL (assuming it has any) to the Auto Add connector on the User parameters brick and it will create paramaeters for all the inputs (which will then be available in the Surfaces pane).

Apply your shader to selected surfaces on selected items by clicking the Apply button at bottom-right of the Shader Mixer pane, adjust surface proeprties if desired, and render.

Thank you! Just downloaded over a gig's worth of  free .mdl files from NiVidia ... now can add them into the soup mix :-)

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited April 2020

Been out of the game for a long time and just getting back into things. Bumping this up because I'm having an issue with surfaces w/ the mdl applied just rendering black. Am I missing something?

/edit
    Last attachment shows what I *should* be seeing.

DAZStudio_nhKoywZvqZ.png
    1920 x 1050 - 309K
    DAZStudio_5k2DB0TArc.png
    462 x 457 - 19K
    DAZStudio_V06v7B41j0.png
    502 x 332 - 8K
    explorer_xxl53Bol1I.png
    589 x 331 - 170K
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • Where is the .mdl file?

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116

Base path + callable path.

C:\Users\mel\Documents\mdl\nvidia\vMaterials\AEC\Wallpaper\Wallpaper_Floral_Vintage.mdl

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,886

Your pathways in the MDL Directory Manager are too long, and you only need one pathway, which in your case should read "C:/Users/mel/Documents/mdl".