DAZ Studio 4.0.3.47 standard (32 bit) Mac

dave.miller.ukdave.miller.uk Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

I'm new to DAZ Studio - and I've used Genesis and the standard libraries of hair, clothing etc to build a figure.
I need the 3D model as an .obj file, and have found how to do this through exporting.

The problem is the the file sizes are huge (approx 12Mb).

What can I do to reduce the file size? I really want to get down to around 1Mb, so I can use in a mobile app. The quality and detail doesn't need to be very high.

I can't find documentation on:
- how to optimise settings in DAZ to minimise file size
- exporting to .obj, and how to adjust parameters to get small file size and usable quality

Any help would be really appreciated

many thanks, Dave :)

Comments

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,577
    edited June 2012

Make sure you have resolution set to Base before you export, otherwise you'll get a SubD'd version.

ETA: Just what are you planning to do? You cannot redistribute the mesh without a Game Development license.

Post edited by fixmypcmike on
  • dave.miller.ukdave.miller.uk Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks very fixmypcmike - much appreciated :)

some questions:
    - how set resolutionBase before export?
    - what's a SubD’d version?
    - what's distributing the mesh?

- sorry am new to 3D software
    dave :)

edited December 1969

The Genesis model itself is low-resolution. However, it uses a technique called SubDivision so the final results when you render are high-resolution.

With Genesis loaded, go to the Parameters tab and click on "Mesh Resolution" on the left side. There are two controls, Resolution and SubD. Resolution is a pull-down that defaults to "High Res", so change it to "Base". SubD defaults to 1 (the middle value), slide it to the left (0). Now when you export Genesis the .obj will be less than 2MB.

The EULA for content from the DAZ 3D store, including the content that comes with DAZ Studio, allows you to use renders and animations for anything you like, but you cannot redistribute the actual objects and files. So you could use images and animations as part of a game, but not the Genesis .obj you exported.

There are separate Game Developer Licenses available which allow you to use items with DAZ 3D listed as the Published Artist in games where the object itself needs to be built into the game; a few of the other PA's have similar licenses for their products.

edited December 1969

Thanks DAZ 3D for the really useful help
    it works - I've gone to minimum resolution and the file size goes down - but only down to 9.9Mb
    - any ideas for getting further reductions?
    - can I reduce the size of the model, would that reduce the size?
    - I'm using Genesis with some of the standard costumes - boots, trousers and T shirt
    - is there a way to export at 1 unit = 1mm?

Didn't know about the Game Developer Licenses but if I can get DAZ to do what I need, and if I decide to go with it, then one will a requirement.

thanks Dave :)

edited December 1969

Did you set resolution to Base and SubD to 0? I get under 2 MB that way (exporting at Poser scale, but I don't think that should affect the file size). Are you exporting just Genesis, or Genesis with clothing? If there's clothing, set any body parts that aren't showing invisible in the Scene tab, and make sure "Ignore Hidden" is on in the export options.

You can set the scale in the export options.

If that's still too big, there's a product called Decimator in the store, or you can decimate in a modeling program.

edited December 1969

Thanks DAZ 3D
    When I export just Genesis I get below 1Mb
    But with clothes immediately go up to 9Mb
    Will try again tomorrow -
    thanks for all your help - and very fast response as well
    cheers, dave :)