External Renderers

Are there external renderers (for the Mac) that will work “as is” with DAZ’s Iray - if so, what are their names? Or do you have to use the external renderer’s materials, which basically defeats the purpose of applying store bought shaders to your objects.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

I don't know about for Mac, but there are a few external renderers for DS, some that have a bridge from DS (Reality and Luxus for Luxrender) and the rest are standalone versions and you would have to export and then import a different file format such as .OBJ. As far as I know none will be able to use the Iray shader system or any Iray product sold in the store as expected (you would have to use the materials native to those renderers)

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,898

LD1,

No!

If you sent your scene to an external render engine, you would have to re-adjust everything to use that engines materials.

• LD1LD1 Posts: 135

Thanks for the info. I guess I will just have to be satisfied with DAZ's Iray render.

• Reality is well thought of by some people. I tried it but manually setting everything was beyond tedious.

• if you cease to be satisfied Blender has cycles and eevee

but you would need to redo all your shaders though the maps should at least port over

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,721

Reality is well thought of by some people. I tried it but manually setting everything was beyond tedious.

That is why I stopped using it. Reality was the plugin that got me into using Daz Studio. I was a poser user, but tired of the results I was getting using the firefly renderer. My experience working with vray and maxwell made me want much better, more unbiased results and since Reality/Luxrender was only accessable with daz Studio, I dove right in trying to learn it and never looked back. Then came Iray and the time it took to set a scene up was cut in half since Iray was part of DS, so I haven't used Reality since, but I did enjoy the results I got with it.

• Theresults I got on the scenes I did render were amazing but not enough better than iray to make that much extra time and effort worthwhile IMO.

• Expecting anything. "For Mac". No, practically nothing exists for Mac anymore.

• PerttiAPerttiA Posts: 10,013
    edited December 2022

PPehrson said:

Expecting anything. "For Mac". No, practically nothing exists for Mac anymore.

You do realize that these threads are from 2019 and 2018 

Post edited by PerttiA on