Help with iRay > Refraction/Cutout Opacity - Transparency gradient maps

Hello,

I have been attempting to apply a gradient map to a surface and have a transparency for the black colors in iRay. I want the green glow to show and fade out. However, in the iray render it doesn’t turn out as I expected. In the CutoutnoRefra.jpg image I have noticed that the cutout opacity setting is cutting extremely harsh. The map I am using is in greyscale as a .tga. I have attached the maps for review but in png format. This cut effect is also present when used with refraction as shown in Cutout.jpg. When I don't use cutout opacity, I get much closer to what I’m trying to achieve with refraction when I put an inverted image map on refraction color. When I use refraction I get this light effect as shown in Refraction.jpg. The light source is far to the left of the mesh, so this effect is present because of the angle. Also when using refraction, the shape of the object can still be seen as shown in Refraction2.jpg and doesn’t fade out properly.

Any insight on how to achieve a true transparent gradient would be greatly appreciated. I also attempted to do this to fake the halo around a planet but was unable to figure out how to make the black of the gradient fade out completely. Another time I needed this was when I created 5 uneven planes stacked and applied a gradient to simulate clouds/fog. But again, was unable to get it to work properly. I tried this in 3Delight, and it rendered perfectly as expected, but I would rather use iRay.

Cutout.jpg
1043 x 890 - 544K
CutoutnoRefra.jpg
1050 x 896 - 565K
Refraction.jpg
1045 x 891 - 563K
Refraction2.jpg
1049 x 899 - 453K
squaremask_x8_03b00_inv.png
256 x 64 - 8K
squaremask_x8_03b00.png
256 x 64 - 8K

Comments

• I'm trying to do something similar.

My goal is to have a center sphere that has emissive setting for the light source, but to have it surrounded by a partially visible halo that diffuses outward to black.

Do you think that what you've got here might work in something like that?