Make hands independent

I'm working with Genesis 8 Female, and I'd like to make her hands their own entities/objects to move around freely. If I understand correctly, they are bones attached to the rest of her body. How can I disattach and animate only her hands without having to make the rest of her body invisible? Thanks!

Comments

• You could use the Geometry Editor to select all of the mesh save one hand (use the + buttons in the Tool Settings pane), right-click>Geometry Visibility>Hide Selection, right-click>Geometry Editing>Delete Hidden, export as OB, Import (using the same preset) and use the transfer utility to rig - butt hat would be hollow, if you want to cap the wrist you'd need to take the exported OBJ into some kind of modeller.

• You could use the Geometry Editor to select all of the mesh save one hand (use the + buttons in the Tool Settings pane), right-click>Geometry Visibility>Hide Selection, right-click>Geometry Editing>Delete Hidden, export as OB, Import (using the same preset) and use the transfer utility to rig - butt hat would be hollow, if you want to cap the wrist you'd need to take the exported OBJ into some kind of modeller.

Okay so I'm at "export as OB". I see an .obj export option, but not OB. Is this correct, or am I missing something? Also, where is the "transfer utility to rig" option? The back of the hands can be hollow, that's alright. Thanks again!

• TZORGTZORG Posts: 148

.ob should be .obj. For transfer utility you can do Scene tab, four-line icon menu, Assets, Transfer Utility.

• inception8inception8 Posts: 280

Richard Haseltine said:

You could use the Geometry Editor to select all of the mesh save one hand (use the + buttons in the Tool Settings pane), right-click>Geometry Visibility>Hide Selection, right-click>Geometry Editing>Delete Hidden, export as OB, Import (using the same preset) and use the transfer utility to rig - butt hat would be hollow, if you want to cap the wrist you'd need to take the exported OBJ into some kind of modeller.

I'm thinking this may no longer apply in 2022 since what you described isn't available.

I was hoping to take advantage of importing a body part into Procreate (definitely won't open a full G8 obj ; 2019 32gb non pro version). Procreate can now import 3d models. Then I can manipulate the model with one hand and paint on a layer using the apple pencil and then export.

a. With the Geometry Editor pane open then looking at Face Groups

b. Use the Add + to add Abdomen, Chest, Head, etc to make body part selections.

c. Then right click the only options are Assign Selected Face to Group and Remove Selected Group(s)

I must be missing something that isn't readily made visible or somethign drastically changed.

Would it be possible for you to refresh the current steps if you wouldn't mind please?

Geometry-Editor-Screen.jpg
    660 x 1027 - 234K
  • Right-click in the Viewport, but note that you can now skip a step and just delete selected.

Whata re you wanting to export for? Deleting chunks of mesh will make it impossible to use the result as a morph.

edited August 2022

Richard Haseltine said:

Right-click in the Viewport, but note that you can now skip a step and just delete selected.

Whata re you wanting to export for? Deleting chunks of mesh will make it impossible to use the result as a morph.

Nothing to do with morphs at all.

Exporting obj body sections of G8 can then be imported into the ios app Procreate. As mentioned Procreate now has a feature to import obj and USDZ files. This would allow you to draw and/or paint over 3d objects as long as they are UV mapped. Then export the results from Procreate with a new hand painted texture layer. Potentialy very powerful tool for something like tattooing with the abundance of brushes available in the app or can be downloaded along with utilizing the Apple pencil.

Someone doing 3d is laughing at the convenience of ($13.99 CAN) using this app. Just need to figure out how to export a transparent png with the contents.

The Procreate app on my 32gb 2019 ipad will not handle the full G8 obj. Exporting in smaller body sections is the only alternative.

Post edited by inception8 on

Richard Haseltine said:

Right-click in the Viewport, but note that you can now skip a step and just delete selected.

Aha. Eureka. I didn't realize that the right click menu changes IN the actual Viewport with the figure in it when you activate the Geometry Editor. My bad.

Thankyou.