DS 4.6 on Linux?

Sir RenderSir Render Posts: 0

Hello,

Can DS 4.6 be installed (and run) under Linux?

If so, can anyone recommend a variety of Linux that plays well with DS 4.6?

I want to move from Windows XP to Linux to get away from RAM limitations and I would rather not give MS another $100 to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit.

I can't render my scenes without crashing on my laptop (Vista 32 bit, 2GB ram - no surprise there).
My desktop can take 8GB of RAM, but is currently running XP 32 bit. I want to move to a 64 bit OS that can handle memory.

Thanks

Comments

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited December 1969

Hello,

If so, can anyone recommend a variety of Linux that plays well with DS 4.6?

I want to move from Windows XP to Linux to get away from RAM limitations and I would rather not give MS another $100 to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit.

I can't render my scenes without crashing on my laptop (Vista 32 bit, 2GB ram - no surprise there).
    My desktop can take 8GB of RAM, but is currently running XP 32 bit. I want to move to a 64 bit OS that can handle memory.

Thanks

Can't speak for the Linux success or failure rate but if you have 8GB in your desktop and you're running XP are you running a /3GB switch to allow a single app to use 3GB RAM?

usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=9583842&linkID=9240617

• Sir RenderSir Render Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My desktop has 2 GB of RAM. It can take up to 8. I will put 8 in it if I can get an OS that can address it all. I will upgrade to Windows 7 if Linux won't work. I have read that some people have used DS with Wine on Ubantu, but others say it doesn't work.

• RenpatsuRenpatsu Posts: 828
    edited October 2013

I did run a DAZ Studio 4.5 version via wine on Mac OS X if I recall correctly, didn't try it with a more recent version anymore. It did run certainly, but also only on 32-Bit so similar memory limitations you run into at the moment. There is a 64-Bit version of wine, however, as far as I recall there are still many unresolved bugs with the 64-Bit support - I don't think it is in a decently stable state, yet.

You can probably try the 3Delight standalone render route as well. The standalone 3Delight render supports 4 cores with the free license now (was 2 cores at some point) and it is a comparatively a bit quicker and less memory intensive than the DAZ Studio built-in 3Delight, especially since you can close the DAZ Studio interface for the render. Just wait a tiny bit, as today the next version of the 3Delight (11.0) will come out (3Delight). From DAZ Studio you'd render to RIB and then use the standalone 3Delight render to render the actual RIB. There is probably still the standalone 3Delight thread around in Nuts&Bolts; should you have any trouble.

Anyway, if I would be in your position, I'd probably try the standalone 3Delight render, but eventually I'd move to a solid 64-Bit operating system and my choice with regards to DAZ Studio would probably be Windows 7 64-Bit then, as Linux is not supported by DAZ and 64-Bit support on Linux is questionable anyway at the moment.

Post edited by Renpatsu on
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I will try the 3Delight.

It is looking like my best route is to bight the bullet and fork over another $100 to Bill Gates for Windows 7 64-bit and buy a bunch of RAM for the desktop.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

You can use any x64 Linux distribution for that. Some people here do use Linux with Wine. The difference just come with the available base package and how you get new packages

Nowadays there are lots of friendly user distibutions. For a beginner I'd advice Ubuntu which comes in many flavor. Get wine then try to make DS work. I didn't try it so can't say where the problems are and if it works

The /3GB Switch will still limit any process to 2Gb memory which is very low for DS or any 3D application (I eat that easily with blender)
    Before rendering you still need to set up your scene in DS and you won't go very far with a 2Gb limit

Concerning Windows, buy an OEM version of Windows 7. These are cheaper than full retail versions. You'll only won't get the 90 days support. See at Amazon or some online stores. Depending on where you live you can get good bargains

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Microsoft-Windows-software-intended-builders/dp/B004Q0PT3I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380654434&sr=8-1&keywords=windows+7

http://www.os-operating-system.com/en/Operating-Systems/Windows-7-Home-Premium/Windows-7-Home-Premium-64-Bit-OEM-DVD-und-Windows-7-Home-Premium-COA-oxid.html

edited December 1969

Thanks. I will try Ubuntu and also I will look at the oem Windows 7.

• Takeo.KenseiTakeo.Kensei Posts: 1,303
    edited December 1969

Side note : there is something I remembered today. When MS released WinXP x64, the update to x64 was free. But now I can't find a link to a download on MS site

I still think that the update from x32 to x64 is always free so if you can get your hand on a x64 CD of windows XP you can legally upgrade to the x64 version.

The x64 version was only English if I'm correct. You may try to contact them to be sure

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

IF you are going to us Linux, I would recommend Xubuntu which is based on Ubuntu but is designed to be less resource intensive

In all honesty though, you are better off getting a 64bit OS that the software is native too.

• mechtormechtor Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

In short at least 4 me! Yes but not really usable.
    Here is no content pane tab existing.

Kubuntu 13.04/13.10 with Wine 1.4 and Wine 1.6 tested.

regards
    MIke