Need lightning bolts (free) or tutorial to make such

I have got some lightning bolts at Sketchup Warehouse but those I have download and tested, all appear with block around it - not only lightning bolt alone.

Do anyone know where I can get a lightning bolt to use in Bryce, or a tutorial to make one's own?

Comments

• can do with bare big upsidedown glowing Bryce trees like I do with Carrara trees I guess

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,127

_can You just draw one_??

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,529

If it has a box around it, you might have to engage transparency in the MatLab.

• ed3Ded3D Posts: 2,127

_look at this one      shareCG_Texture/Horizontal-Lightning

https://www.sharecg.com/v/33816/related/6/Texture/Horizontal-Lightning

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 2018

I make picture objects of lightning bolts and set them up 100% ambience as well as diffuse so they glow, use the same images as a trans map and attach a radial light to the top of the plane

lightning new 2.jpg
    800 x 800 - 212K
    lightning 2.jpg
    867 x 650 - 195K
    Skull Cove comp postwork.jpg
    1600 x 900 - 517K
    Post edited by Chohole on
  • mtnmenmtnmen Posts: 444
    Chohole thanks for those tips...I have loved and remembered Skull Cove from a few years back a great image
  • launoklaunok Posts: 793

Chohole, many thanks for your tips.  And thanks to all commenting, this is much appreciated.

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,892

Chohole: good tips and very nice looking Skull Cove.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 2018

Wendy's suggestion to use a tree generator is an excellent idea. It has to have good randomness in axis varation to get nice curvy looking branches that can appear as lighting. Last night I quickly produced about 40 lighting bolts of different types in ngPlant. It has excellent branch capabilities which make excellent lightning once the tree is turned upside down. When I get home later after my 12 hour shift I'll finish them up and ship them to you. All the best Launok!

Post edited by Rashad Carter on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,529
    edited December 2018

Indeed, trees can be used for a lot like grass and boulders - even trees and plants. Cropped from a three year old render, the backdrop is an HDRI and on the dark mountain are trees with ambient that make it look like the lights in two villages.

Tree Example

TreeEx.jpg
    800 x 350 - 31K
    Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,892

Horo: great trick!

• Launok,

Apologies on the tardiness of these bolts I've been busier than expected with personal stuff but I hope to have them all finished up by this weekend. All the best!

• launoklaunok Posts: 793

Wendy's suggestion to use a tree generator is an excellent idea. It has to have good randomness in axis varation to get nice curvy looking branches that can appear as lighting. Last night I quickly produced about 40 lighting bolts of different types in ngPlant. It has excellent branch capabilities which make excellent lightning once the tree is turned upside down. When I get home later after my 12 hour shift I'll finish them up and ship them to you. All the best Launok!

Launok,

Apologies on the tardiness of these bolts I've been busier than expected with personal stuff but I hope to have them all finished up by this weekend. All the best!

Hi Rashad,  thank you for making these lightning bolts.  You can take your time ... I look forward to them when they are ready.  I appreciate this! smiley