Is Bryce still worth installing?

With a lot of software and content vying for my hard drive space, is Bryce still worth installing?  I know it is still 32 bit.  What rendering engines does it have?  Will it work with Daz Studio 4.11?  Can I import Genesis 3/8 into Bryce?

Comments

• Bryce is in every way different to Daz Studio. Yes you can easily import Daz figures into Bryce via the bridge. but you will have to manually set up everythin in terms of materials. Generally speaking you will need to do a lot more manual manipulation in Bryce than you would in DS just due to the way the applications were designed.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,262

Bryce has two different raytracing render engines built in. Whether installing Bryce is worth it depends on what sort of artwork you intend to do. If you concentrate on characters, Bryce is perhaps not the most suitable tool. For all other themes (landscapes, underwater, indoors, abstracts, space scenes, architecture) Bryce cn be used for almost everything, it is a very powerful and versatile tool. Though not updated for a while, the good news is that no new bugs were built in. laugh

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Handling genesis 3/8 models... interesting question. I know that g3/8 has less polys than v4 and even g2, but that's on simplest subD, and without hd, right?

• I am seriously thinking that Bryce is dead in the water. DAZ have in their not-so-infinite "wisdom" decided to let just it die

It will not run under anything later than MacOSX 10.6 - I'm on MacOSX 10.9 and I have to run it under Windows Emulation. Even the Windows version of Bryce is painful to use - it decides for no apparent reason to just stop working and you're just expected to accept it and move on....

I'm now thinking of looking for something else to take on the rendering duties that Bryce used to be good at back in the day

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433

I am seriously thinking that Bryce is dead in the water.

While it may be dead in your water, just a quick look through the threads in this forum sort of shows it isn't dead in the water.  smiley

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,876

What is Bryce Lighting and is it worth installing?

• akmerlowakmerlow Posts: 1,124

Bryce Lighting is needed if you have several computers that you can link together, so it's rendering on all of them, which gives some boost.

Horo has document about it

https://horo.ch/docs/mine/pdf/Lightning.pdf

• aarrgghhhaarrgghhh Posts: 11

Yes, still very much worth it. A couple thigs it needs: 

1. OpenGL Rendering  (I don't know why this is not number 1 or 2 on more lists, screen updates would occur in real time and animation rendering would fly if they were processed by today's GPUs).   

2. 64- bit support

3. Memory support for > 8 cores (Intel's 10 physical core + 10 virtual core = 20 core CPUs are becoming more and more common for those who work with 3D rendering). 

4. A real particle generator (not an Easter Egg) 

5 New labs, such as an improved Tree Lab, a Plant Lab, and a Space Lab 

PS: There should be a Mac version, for pre and post OS 10.7, imo.  

If Daz is not going to develope Bryce, then they owe it to Bryce, and Kai Krause, and Daz' customers, to sell Bryce to someone who will develope it.  This indefinate stalemate has gone on for far too long.