Products Converted from Studio to Poser

2»

Comments

• Oops- I have a new problem now... Opening a scene in Daz... I can't get a preview of the opened scene if it's to save my own life. I know it's me because I'm so unfamiliar with Daz. I already re-installed once but now again no preview of an opened scene file. How do I reset the basic window layout in Daz so I can see what I'm workin' on? Studio 4.10.

Thanks.

• philebusphilebus Posts: 241

Hi, Philebus.

I see what you've managed to import an architectural model into Poser by first creating companion files for it in Studio and then allowing the DSON importer in Poser to bring the results into Poser stage but that is where I am currently stuck. I have created a scene file for an architectural model that I do have in Daz and have created the Poser companion files for it (maybe I did something wrong in that process) and I can find DSON in my Poser within the Python Scripts menu but then that's as far as I have been able to go with this. Could you please perhaps provide some screenshots and a step-by-step on how to properly go about this process?

Here is the model I am working with, rendered in Daz with Iray.

Hi,

I'm really sorry that I've not replied soon - I'm afraid that real life has kept me away from this stuff for a while now. I'm planning to convert some more prop/architecture sets next weekend, so I'll try and do a step by step for you and put it together in a post the next week.

edited March 2019

A Note About Normal Maps

A lot of the detail you see in the Genesis figure promos is from what are called normal maps. While Poser has been able to use these for a long, long time, DAZ has had an odd habbit of not supporting features like this in Poser - even displacement maps are usually neglected. It's something that goes all the way back to the old M4 and V4 figures (the displacement maps for things like Vlad and the muscle maps worked fine in Poser but were not applied in any of the Poser MATs DAZ supplied, so we had to apply them by hand and create our own MATs).

The same is true of the Genesis figures compatible with Poser through the DSON plug in - the Poser Companion Files don't apply the normal maps, so you will have to do it yourself. It isn't difficult.

Here's the Gia character without normal maps...

And her it is with them...

You can find the maps under Studio Content>Runtime>Textures>DAZ>Characters>Genesis 2

Find the character folder you want and look for the Normal Maps (these will be TIFF files and if you have the thumbnails up you won't miss them - they are the blue ones).

First apply the map to the Gradient Bump

Then make sure that Gradient Mode set to Tangent Space Normal Map

Finally, make sure that they Gamma is on Custom Gamma Value, which you can set to 1. By default this is set to Use Gamma Value from Render Settings, which will give you some weird seams.

P_Con_Normals_Without.jpg
    325 x 861 - 23K
    P_Con_Normals_With.jpg
    340 x 861 - 24K
    P_Con_Normals_01.jpg
    562 x 941 - 140K
    P_Con_Normals_02.jpg
    562 x 938 - 146K
    P_Con_Normals_03.jpg
    621 x 939 - 143K
    Post edited by philebus on
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    Thanks for the normal map explanation. Can you re-post the Gia renders in higher resolution and less JPG compression?

I will eventually get around to posting more to this thread - unfortunately, I've just not have much time for many months now.

In the meantime, I've just updated the post regarding the Giant Fantasy Snake - the problem I had been having with the materials was due to a simple error on my part and the model works just fine in Poser.