In case anyone's still stuck on Poser 8...Poser 9 is cheap right now.

2»

Comments

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,809
    edited December 1969

Vaskania said:
    The ad is now showing up on RDNA's main page. Here's the link it goes to:
    http://mysmithmicro.com/marcom/eblasts/smithmicro/20130910/index-web.html

WandW said:
    Slosh said:
    Kerya said:
    By the way: if you get it, remember P9 is at SR3.1 - get it and install it before you are kicking your computer in frustration ... ;)
    http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser9-updates.html

Thanks. I did install the SR3.1 update, but it didn't help in my case. I've got support at SM working with me now.

I've heard of issues with Poser if Chrome is running; I don't know if that was resolved...

It should've been. I've ran both PP2012 and 2014 with Chrome running and haven't had any issues so far.

I missed this rely. Poser Pro 64-bit uses Adobe Air for the library; the conflict was with Chrome’s version of Flash, which is used for the Library on Poser 9 and 10 and the 32-bit versions of PP. This may have indeed been resolved, but I don't use 32-bit Poser; I don't even have Flash installed on my render machine...

• nobody1954nobody1954 Posts: 933
    edited December 1969

"So if I buy Poser 9 now does that mean I would qualify for a side grade to pro2014?
    because I think that knocks $200 of it’s normal price, which would be pretty nice."

Yes, definitely.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited December 1969

WandW said:
    Vaskania said:
    The ad is now showing up on RDNA's main page. Here's the link it goes to:
    http://mysmithmicro.com/marcom/eblasts/smithmicro/20130910/index-web.html

WandW said:
    Slosh said:
    Kerya said:
    By the way: if you get it, remember P9 is at SR3.1 - get it and install it before you are kicking your computer in frustration ... ;)

Thanks. I did install the SR3.1 update, but it didn't help in my case. I've got support at SM working with me now.

I've heard of issues with Poser if Chrome is running; I don't know if that was resolved...

It should've been. I've ran both PP2012 and 2014 with Chrome running and haven't had any issues so far.

I missed this rely. Poser Pro 64-bit uses Adobe Air for the library; the conflict was with Chrome’s version of Flash, which is used for the Library on Poser 9 and 10 and the 32-bit versions of PP. This may have indeed been resolved, but I don't use 32-bit Poser; I don't even have Flash installed on my render machine...
    I use 64bit, and thanks for that bit of info. That explains why I get random Adobe Air update popups when launching Poser. lol

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

So if I buy Poser 9 now does that mean I would qualify for a side grade to pro2014?
    because I think that knocks $200 of it's normal price, which would be pretty nice.

Only a sidegrade to PP2012 - for PP2014 it would be an up/sidegrade.

edited December 1969

PP2014 SIdegrade pricing from Poser 9 is $299, $349 from Poser 6-8 ...

• SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited September 2013

Is there a way to trial Poser pro2014?
    I ended up buying Poser 9 and so far it's not looking good for me. I wasn't expecting Genesis to run very fast but I wasn't expecting it to be so slow either. At the same time though there are features in Poser Pro 2014 which I would tolerate the slowness to be able to use if I could guarantee they would actually work on my computer.

Post edited by Sonofbelmont on
    edited December 1969

Is there a way to trial Poser pro2014?
    I ended up buying Poser 9 and so far it's not looking good for me. I wasn't expecting Genesis to run very fast but I wasn't expecting it to be so slow on my computer either. At the same time though there are features in PoserPro2014 which I would tolerate the slowness to be able to use if I could guarantee they would actually work on my computer.

I believe that there is a 30 day return policy.

However, Genesis is still very slow in PP2014; slower for me than it was in PP2012...

edited September 2013

How to get Genesis in Poser faster:

Scripts / DSON Support / Importer Preferences and untick show progress on load

Set the figure’s subdivision to “OFF” while you work within the scene. Turn it back to its previous value before you render. Genesis defaults to SubDivision Level 1. (This can also be set in MeshResolution > SubDivision Level in the Parameter Pane.)

Go into your General Preferences and see if Multi-threaded Bending is checked. If it is, uncheck it.

These are working in P9 too - so maybe it helps a bit?

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

That's not what is slow for me, Kerya. What is slow is adding conforming clothing. It takes literally minutes to transfer morphs, which was much faster in PP2012...

edited December 1969

Ooops - maybe I should have written for whom I intendend my message: Son of Belmont - as he is using P9 at the moment.

• goofygrmom3goofygrmom3 Posts: 160
    edited December 1969

I just purchased poser9 since it was such an awesome deal. I've got it installed and the content seems to be where it's supposed to be. When I try to add an item to the actor the program seems to freeze. Or is it really major s-l-o-w? Thanks.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,781
    edited December 1969

Have you installed the SR3 update? That makes things much better, especially when using Genesis.

edited December 1969

No, Byrdie, I haven't. Where do I get that? Thanks.

• ByrdieByrdie Posts: 1,781
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Thanks tons.

edited December 1969

Awesome! Thanks again Byrdie. Now I can have fun learning the program.

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited September 2013

WandW said:
    That's not what is slow for me, Kerya. What is slow is adding conforming clothing. It takes literally minutes to transfer morphs, which was much faster in PP2012...

Don't use Dson's morph transfer. If you have PP2014 use it's built in copy morphs (may or may not work- I had issues with it a bit, but that may have just been me and/or the clothing I was trying).
    Post edited by Lissa_xyz on
  • SonofbelmontSonofbelmont Posts: 147
    edited September 2013

Set the figure’s subdivision to “OFF” while you work within the scene. Turn it back to its previous value before you render. Genesis defaults to SubDivision Level 1. (This can also be set in MeshResolution > SubDivision Level in the Parameter Pane.)

Go into your General Preferences and see if Multi-threaded Bending is checked. If it is, uncheck it.

Setting subdivision off did help a bit, I couldn't find the multi-threaded bending option in preferences but there was another option related to threading I turned down to zero.

new question:
    Is there anyone who owns Poser 10 that can tell me what you can't do in regards to weight painting. two of the features I'm interested in are soft body and dynamic cloth & looking at the comparison chart for Poser 10 & pro 2014 it looks like both are in Poser 10 but there is also no tick next to "Full Suite of Weight Map Creation Tools" for 10 and I watched a webinar where weight mapping seemed to be required at least for soft body. Also are the tools which let you add IK to Genesis in Poser 10 or are they a pro feature?

Post edited by Sonofbelmont on
  • Consumer573Consumer573 Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Kerya said:

Slosh, How did you make out?

I had similar symptoms with Poser 9, and unfortunately the devil was in the details, and the details said that my AMD processor was up to the task in every way except for a built in instruction set. It was fast enough, had enough memory, etc. Adobe photoshop had similar issues, and they created a work around for adobe people. But the Smith Micro people ultimately were of no help, and it not their fault. It was only when I read the detailed fine print on the released packages of P9 that I realized I bought a program that was technically incompatible with my computer processor. It was a shock. I had never seen that before. I had bought my P9 pre-release, so am not sure whether I received the fine print, but too much time had passed bewteen purchase and me trying to load it. I never received any credit for my P9 program, which I was never able to use.

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited September 2013

the only issue i had was with the content pane/library not showing the figures. I had to install Flash plugin 11.7.700.232 for Microsoft Internet Explorer.

I will try to clothe Alyson see how fast it loads on my slow processor.

Post edited by starionwolf on
  • SloshSlosh Posts: 2,391
    edited December 1969

Slosh said:
    Kerya said:

Slosh, How did you make out?

I had similar symptoms with Poser 9, and unfortunately the devil was in the details, and the details said that my AMD processor was up to the task in every way except for a built in instruction set. It was fast enough, had enough memory, etc. Adobe photoshop had similar issues, and they created a work around for adobe people. But the Smith Micro people ultimately were of no help, and it not their fault. It was only when I read the detailed fine print on the released packages of P9 that I realized I bought a program that was technically incompatible with my computer processor. It was a shock. I had never seen that before. I had bought my P9 pre-release, so am not sure whether I received the fine print, but too much time had passed bewteen purchase and me trying to load it. I never received any credit for my P9 program, which I was never able to use.

I ended up putting Windows 7 back on my machine. It works fine now, and I'm back to my old OS. Bad part is that I didn't properly back up my CMS for DAZ Studio, so I had to reorganize way too much data. And, my DIM didn't realized I had everything installed and showed it all as pending download. So, fast forward to now and all is good in Slosh land. :)

• frodifrodi Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I use DAZ Studio as my only 3d program. I can now buy Poser9 for $20au. until tonight. Should I get it, or would I find it too hard to use after using DS for years. Smith Micro has an amazing offer running on several programs, have a look at them.

• CypherFOXCypherFOX Posts: 3,401
    edited September 2013

Greetings,
    I got it; I'll probably never use it (I never used 7 or 8 that I also bought at nearly the same level of 'cheap'), but it's nice to have in case I end up with stuff that's Poser-only by accident and can't/don't want to return it, and yet have access to weight-mapped figures.

I'd say if you have the cash to spare, do it. If you feel uncomfortable dropping $30 on a whim and a 'Maybe', then don't get it.

As for the UI, it's different, and wacky in its own way, but so is DAZ Studio. I wouldn't let the UI make you avoid it. Don't expect to get full power from a modern computer, though...the non-Pro version is 32 bit and I think it's limited in its CPU core usage. The point for me isn't to start using it in place of DS though, it's to have it as a useful backup/alternate.

-- Morgan

Post edited by CypherFOX on
  • TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Unfortunately, no one can answer your question because different people like one program or the other better. Some people (like me) have found Poser easier to use, while others much prefer DS. If you can afford to spend the money, you should just buy it and play around with it. I'm not really rendering with DAZ Studio, but I am starting to understand it better. You may find that you enjoy using both programs.

• frodifrodi Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ah, I see that the $20 refers to getting all three programs offered. Poser on its own is $36.04 AUD. Still cheap though. Am still considering, it is a drawback that it is 32bit, I didn't know that.

• WahilWahil Posts: 307
    edited December 1969

If I remember correctly, you also get 3 gigabyte of content free with it. I have not been able to find out exactly what all that content looks like though.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 99,546
    edited December 1969

Merged a new thread with the existing thread on the Poser sale.

edited December 1969

Cypherfox said:
    ...the non-Pro version is 32 bit and I think it's limited in its CPU core usage. ...

32bit: yes
    limited in CPU cores: no

http://poser.smithmicro.com/ComparePoserSoftware.pdf

• starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,670
    edited December 1969

i would post some renders of the content but my hard drive is acting up again. Poser 9 includes most everything mention in this page except for items marked as "New" http://poser.smithmicro.com/freefigures.html

Rex and Roxie are not included. Hope this helps a little