September 2013 NEW USER Contest WIP Thread

Comments

• TeofaTeofa Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

Here is the updated version.

I tried cropping out some of the dead space and tweaked the lighting.

Thanks standfast and Jaderail for the guidance.

Bring the light back to her face somehow, her expression makes the image. In my opinion.
    otherwise nice changes.

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited December 1969

My troll brain and insane rogue character Dimi ganged up at me after reading about a rather outrageous case of (digital) art theft. I decided it couldn't end well, but a few test-renders in, I kind of fell in love with the 1 EU2 (low intensity), 1 Distant Light (blue) and 1 bright linear point light set up. I decided I migth as well toss it up as a potential entry in here.

The framed picture is an old gift image I did for a good friend. Might replace it with something else from my collection of dablings.

Dimi the Curious in "Contemplating Art Theft"

Thoughts?

Contemplating_art_theft_5_UE_DL_1_point_darker.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 168K
    edited September 2013

Love your render, Mori :)

Post edited by Teofa on
  • Kismet2012Kismet2012 Posts: 4,252
    edited December 1969

Title: Midnight Snack

Program: DAZ3D Pro Beta - no postwork

I added a light set to Specular Only as per Scott-Livingston's suggestion.

Midnight_Snack_53.jpg
    565 x 800 - 189K
  • reserv888reserv888 Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

Here comes my second render. Maybe it is to simple propwise but I tried to create some form of drama with just a face and som lightning.

Athletica_tough_suit_3_brick_wall.jpg
    800 x 600 - 191K
  • SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

Okay, so dropped the intense blue to make it more realistic (it was supposed to be a streetlight, lol) and tweaked the pose some. Feedback welcome.

Invitation_2.jpg
    650 x 658 - 179K
    edited December 1969

Okay, so dropped the intense blue to make it more realistic (it was supposed to be a streetlight, lol) and tweaked the pose some. Feedback welcome.

I am a newbie so please take that into consideration. I like the lighting in this much better. Looks very dramatic to me.

• Mcjam24Mcjam24 Posts: 115
    edited December 1969

Here's a second piece I'm working on, and now I'm learning why lighting is on of the more difficult things to get a grip on, especially when you're like me and want to do everything in studio.

a_friendly_chat.jpg
    800 x 600 - 227K
  • reserv888reserv888 Posts: 1,128
    edited December 1969

@macjam24
    This is a beautiful render. The posing and the lightning on the main character is great, and I like the overall composition. Really good job IMHO.

edited September 2013

decided not to participate.

Post edited by Teofa on
    edited December 1969

I've changed the camera angle slightly and added a spot light to illuminate the tree that was hidden, it almost feels like there is too much ambient light now, but it could just be my eyes at this point.

a_friendly_chat_4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 258K
    edited December 1969

@reserv888 thank you it means a lot to read that type of encouragement.

• SGCBearcubSGCBearcub Posts: 243
    edited December 1969

I am a newbie so please take that into consideration. I like the lighting in this much better. Looks very dramatic to me.

thank-you for the feedback:) I meant to tell you that i thought your last render was really looking like light from a fridge, that bright white glow you get from the freezer on down. Nice.

edited September 2013

revised, cleaned up the poses, reflections, added a plane to give me more floor reflection

Cave2.png
    800 x 838 - 451K
    Post edited by Teofa on
  • Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823
    edited December 1969

Here's the latest version, played with the fall off and raised it to.. uhm 150 I think, also changed the color into a more reddish orange, plus changed the intensity to 130%

The first one is with those changes, the second one is how the picture look when the pointlight is turned off. To show how it looks without the that

Nightcamp

nightcampraw_nofirelight.jpg
    800 x 565 - 202K
    nightcamppw_wfirelight.jpg
    800 x 565 - 58K
    edited December 1969

Carola O said:
    Here's the latest version, played with the fall off and raised it to.. uhm 150 I think, also changed the color into a more reddish orange, plus changed the intensity to 130%

The first one is with those changes, the second one is how the picture look when the pointlight is turned off. To show how it looks without the that

Nightcamp

What happens if you lower the point light to give more reflection off his legs? I just started playing with point lights in my last wip. Just me, but I would go more yellow as well, bright fires tend to yellower I think, embers to orange.

this looks like a fun project

edited December 1969

I used to have more yellow and more yellow/orange.. but that didn't seem to give off any or much color, so I kindah ad to change it to this to give any color that didn't bled out ;P Lowering the point light, I tried that before and it didn't really look good than, but I might give it another try now with this new color

edited December 1969

Carola O said:
    I used to have more yellow and more yellow/orange.. but that didn't seem to give off any or much color, so I kindah ad to change it to this to give any color that didn't bled out ;P Lowering the point light, I tried that before and it didn't really look good than, but I might give it another try now with this new color

Thats why I asked "what happened". Im finding that point lights don't really do what you would expect at times. Also I found that minute position changes make huge differences.

I need to learn more about them.

maybe try a really soft low intensity spot to brighten the lower radius around the fire and brighten his legs.

Also, what is the hard shadow on his chest? Sorry :) Too many questions. I like the scene.

edited December 1969

never to many questions :) not sure about the spotlight, but might try it to see how it looks as well .)

The shadow is one of the branches from a tree that isn't visible in the scene but still is there, wanted it to be in a middle of a forest so there is a bunch of trees around to give shadows *smiles*

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

I'm late to this thread but would love some help with lighting this render.

The concept is a 1920s era girl dancing by herself in the lamp light. I'm finding it difficult to create the right sort of light. Also, it doesn't look so good with her skin tone.

I've used 3 spotlights: 2 in the visible lamps and one on the opposite side to the lamp beneath clock.

(Please ignore poke-through on knee, I'll have to fix it in postwork.)

charleston4.jpg
    424 x 600 - 145K
    edited September 2013

Jindi said:
    I'm late to this thread but would love some help with lighting this render.

The concept is a 1920s era girl dancing by herself in the lamp light. I'm finding it difficult to create the right sort of light. Also, it doesn't look so good with her skin tone.

I've used 3 spotlights: 2 in the visible lamps and one on the opposite side to the lamp beneath clock.

(Please ignore poke-through on knee, I'll have to fix it in postwork.)

How high is your illumination and how much shadow do you have turned on? 20s were not a brightly lit era in homes, yellowish low intensity bulbs. How high is the ambient settings on the set pieces?

Are you using the lamp lights for lamp effect, or to totally light the scene? Both lamps need effects from having lampshades which will change things a lot. That is beyond my talents at this time, but there should be a tutorial on how to set that. I read something before, I think from Chohole, but it is lost in the archives and I can't find it.

This is the one I used when setting up the point light for the orb in my latest contest render. It is all DAZ so I figured it out, sorta.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/tutorial/index.php?tutorial_id=2050

Post edited by Teofa on
  • archangel1802archangel1802 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

i know its a little late in the contest, but i just really got into this about two weeks ago. so here is my first submission.

Young Levi, use to love running free in the woods near his home. One day he found a mysterious cave. knowing the dangers, he entered anyway and found himself in a large open cave. A pool of molten lava sat far below him, the moon light shined through from a small opening in the high cave ceiling and mysterious lighting came from the man made beams decorating the walls, evidence of a civilization long forgotten. Yet the cave seemed fresh and breezy, as he searched the opening he felt he was not alone. the young boy suddenly felt a blast of hot breath on the back of his neck, quickly turning he found himself face to face with a magnificent dragon, the last of his breed. the boy wanted to run, but his feet would not move, he wanted to scream but he had no voice. then looking deep into the beast eyes, Levi saw something he did not expect, the sadness of being forever alone. Without thinking about it, the frightened lad reached out his hand and gently touched the scaly hide of the monster before him. that touch would forever change his life, as he became THE DRAGON KING.

(im working with daz studio 4.6, Levi is the gensis basic child with the journey pack. the Leviathian (dragon) is also the genesis basic version. the back ground is a blend between the alchemy pack that comes with genesis basic, and a diarama from a shareCG.com.
    i used a distant red light, sat low to simulate the lava pit, and a distant blue light to hopefully get a moon effect. i then used two spot lights on each post to highlight the back scene, and a direct spot light from above to shine on Levi.)

i hope you like, i look forward to working more with this program

the_dragon_king_3.jpg
    936 x 549 - 126K
    the_dragon_king_2.jpg
    935 x 547 - 128K
    the_dragon_king_1.jpg
    937 x 548 - 147K
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

archangel432: I like that you have a theme/story for your scene. That gives it consistency.

The lighting needs some work, I think - the supposed moonlight doesn't really mesh well with the backdrop visible through the windows; and things are somewhat too (uniformly) bright for a moonlit scene. Are you sure the Distant Light is working as it's supposed to be? It might be blocked by something... Do you have a light casting shadows?

The expression of the child is cool, he's got a pretty cocky look :)

edited December 1969

@ Archangel

The pose and expression on the child is super. I would dump most of the set and focus on him, with a dimly lit dragon looming behind him.

The size and colors of this huge set just take the eyes all over, no focus on your main story char.

I'm sorry to be so blunt, but there is just so much going on color wise it is distracting.

On the positive side.. be thankful you get input on your work. Some of us don't.

edited December 1969

Title: Anniversary Dance

This is the latest version.

Comments are appreciated.

Anniversary_Dance_33.jpg
    800 x 800 - 256K
    edited December 1969

Title: Anniversary Dance

This is the latest version.

Comments are appreciated.

I love the new composition, and highlighting her face again :). Much better camera angle.

edited December 1969

@Standfast, I think the lighting on your mage in your second version of your second render (now there's a mouthful), is pretty rocking, the only thing I would think about if it were me, would be to add some rim lighting to help pull the hair from the shadows, but overall I'm digging this one.

@Kismet2012, i'm liking this last one as well, I like the softness of the lights, but to me the wine bottle and the guy's suit are getting a little lost, some rim lighting may help with this as well, but then again, it could just be my eyes getting old.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

mcjam24 said:
    @Standfast, I think the lighting on your mage in your second version of your second render (now there's a mouthful), is pretty rocking, the only thing I would think about if it were me, would be to add some rim lighting to help pull the hair from the shadows, but overall I'm digging this one.

@Kismet2012, i'm liking this last one as well, I like the softness of the lights, but to me the wine bottle and the guy's suit are getting a little lost, some rim lighting may help with this as well, but then again, it could just be my eyes getting old.

I agree with both suggestions. Basic lighting is fine now go forth and add those little touches like rim lighting.
    edited September 2013

Jaderail said:
    mcjam24 said:

I agree with both suggestions. Basic lighting is fine now go forth and add those little touches like rim lighting.

Well, both entries are entered. I did a search for Rim Lights / Rim lighting and all I could find was merchants offering to sell me them.

So, that isn't going to happen I guess. Since my images are only "basic" lit, I'll just pull my entries.

thanks anyway. This is really not a contest for new users, should have remembered that from the other I participated in. Oh Well, bad memory

Good luck everyone.

Post edited by Teofa on
  • TobiasGTobiasG Posts: 447
    edited December 1969

standfast said:
    Jaderail said:
    mcjam24 said:

Well, both entries are entered. I did a search for Rim Lights / Rim lighting and all I could find was merchants offering to sell me them.

So, that isn't going to happen I guess. Since my images are only "basic" lit, I'll just pull my entries.

thanks anyway. This is really not a contest for new users, should have remembered that from the other I participated in. Oh Well, bad memory

Good luck everyone.

A Rim Light is basically a light which only lights up the very edges of the lighted object. It gives a sense of depth and definition. To add a Rim Light, just add a Spot Light rom the side. Then, turn off all other lights. Then, you can move your Spot Light around, checking through the main camera which parts it's lighting up. When you have it positioned to only illuminate the edges. you can lower the intensity a bit, and maybe adjust the color, depending on your scene. It's really nothing I'd be tempted to spend money on - the setup is rather basic, it just takes some fiddling around with the position and angle of the light.

You can still modify your entry as long as the contest is open.

afaict, this really is a beginner contest - if you're a pro, you shouldn't enter (at least not enter and expect to win). :)