Sclera Bizarre.... (SOLVED?)

CrissieBCrissieB Posts: 195

Hi all,

I have a truly bizarre problem. My character's sclera are rendering with weird rings around the irises. I've rendered this character several times before, and never had this problem. (See images below.) So far, I've tried:

1. Hiding each light source.
  2. Hiding her hair.
  3. Hiding her eyelashes.
  4. Hiding her clothing.
  5. Repositioning her head.
  6. Zeroing her eye pose.
  7. Changing her eyes to a different material preset.
  8. Reloading her character material preset.
  9. Saving a pose preset, deleting the character, reloading the original character, and re-posing her with the preset.

None of these has solved the problem. Has anyone ever encountered this issue before? If so, what is the fix?

PARTIAL SOLUTION:

The problem was her spatial position. In the original pose, the character and her friend are at a picnic table which is at at x = -800, z = 400.

I remembered reading, a year or so ago, that hair sometimes misbehaves if a character is too far from the scene origin. On a hope, I translated the character to x=0, z=0 ... and the black rings in her sclera went away.

So I made a TempGroup, parented the set and characters to it, and moved the TempGroup to x = 800, z = -400, so the characters are near the scene origin.

This won't solve the problem when I have characters spread out along the boardwalk at the front of the park ... which I'll need for an upcoming scene.

Thanks,

Crissie

Jill Eyes Sclera Bizarre.png
1000 x 1000 - 1M
Jill Graber Closeup.png
1024 x 1024 - 1M
Post edited by CrissieB on

Comments

• Is this a Genesis 3 character material applied to Genesis 8? If so, try replacing the eyes with a set made for Genesis 8 and the ring should go away - it's due to a change in the way the eyes are constructed.

• CrissieBCrissieB Posts: 195

Hi Richard,

This is a G8 character made with SkinBuilder for G8.

I tried changing her eyes to a Victoria 8 preset, and that did not fix the problem.

Crissie 

• XXVXVVXXVXVV Posts: 6

I actually ran into the same problem and ended up fixing it the same way as you did.  I wish I'd just come here first it'd have saved me an hour or two of troubleshooting!   What a weird bug, Iray must treat away from world center differently than those close to it.

CrissieB said:

This won't solve the problem when I have characters spread out along the boardwalk at the front of the park ... which I'll need for an upcoming scene.

For your boardwalk scene, hopefully, the distant figures aren't big enough for the eye issue to become apparent. Alternatively, you could just attach the whole seen to a node and put whatever you are focusing on to as close to World Zero as possible?  It may not work for everything, but I've noticed that it's only in close-ups that this is really noticeable.  Good luck.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,037

also changing max path length in the advanced render settings to infinite can work

• I'm suddenly having the same problem. It's a G8 char with eyes for that character. There are the black rings around the iris, obscuring (or coloring) part of the sclera.

The first few test renders were fine. I made a few small adjustments to camera and lights and now I have the problem.

I tried reinstalling the eyes. Didn't work.

I tried other eyes. Same problem.

I tried zero-positioning the actor.

I tried a variety of max-path-length settings.

I tried quitting DS 4.12, restarting and re-loading the scene. Same problem.

I can't fix this in post-production because I may have to render multiple frames, plus it shouldn't be happening in the first place—it's better to find out why it's happening and fix it.

Pic attached (it's only a partial render, I canceled it, so it's grainy, but you can see the problem).

BlackRingSclera.png
    283 x 87 - 83K
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,610

The first few test renders were fine. I made a few small adjustments to camera and lights and now I have the problem.

You may reverse to the default light so to get it working again, then change one thing at a time until you find what's breaking up. Usually this kind of issue is due to the figure being far away from the scene center, but you said you already checked it.

• jpetersen1jpetersen1 Posts: 148
    edited October 2019

I've spent the last two hours fine-tuning, back-tracking, adjusting. I cannot figure out what is causing this. It has not happened before.

I could save the pose and reinsert, but I made a lot of changes to the figure and face shape before the problem appeared and I didn't save them (I never expected this to happen). I would hate to have to do all that again.

I've been modeling for quite a while, but I'm new to DS. I figured out how to save a pose, but is there a way to save the custom figure morphs separate from the figure itself?

Post edited by jpetersen1 on
  • PadonePadone Posts: 3,610
    edited October 2019

is there a way to save the custom figure morphs separate from the figure itself?

I'm not sure what you mean by "custom morph", if you mean the shape presets then you can save them by file > save as > shaping preset. Then you can apply them later to a base figure.

Post edited by Padone on
  • I'm seeing exactly the same thing. I have a standard render scene (HDRI w/ one light) where I render a character "stock", as in load scene, load character, apply a simple pose, render. No clothes, make-up, etc. I've done 20 or so characters this way and all of a sudden I'm seeing this. The only change I made was to upgrade to 4.12. The original scene was created in 4.11. I created a NEW scene much the same as the older one and now I do not see the issue.
  • Padone said:

is there a way to save the custom figure morphs separate from the figure itself?

I'm not sure what you mean by "custom morph", if you mean the shape presets then you can save them by file > save as > shaping preset. Then you can apply them later to a base figure.

I mean all the changes I made to the figure and face (before the problem appeared). I basically created a new character. Then the black sclera-ring appeared and I thought I could solve it (it turned out not to be so easy) amd I want to be able to save all the changes to the figure (in the hopes of recreating the scene without having to do all the modifications again). I'm hoping a fresh scene might remove the problem.

• I had this problem a few months ago. Drove me bonkers, because my characters were at 0,0,0.

Ended up changing the instancing option in the rendering settings from speed to memory (or vice versa, i'm using my "memory"...). Now and then when I see that issue with the eyes, I find somehow an update has switched the setting back, or defaults kicked in.

• I can replicate this almost 100% of the time quite easily. Start out with empty scene. Load character Genesis 8 Female (or any other character). Set to X Translate to 5000. Sclerea will be messed up. This happens with either Speed OR Memory (though less than 100% of the time). However, the good news is that toggling from Speed to Memory will clear the issue. And if it happens with Memory, toggling from Memory to Speed and then back to Memory seems to clear up the issue.

• I recently updated to Daz Studio 4.12 and began to experience the problem mentioned here. Starting with a new scene made with the updated Daz Studio did not solve the problem but changing the Instancing Optimization to Speed did

• I can replicate this almost 100% of the time quite easily. Start out with empty scene. Load character Genesis 8 Female (or any other character). Set to X Translate to 5000. Sclerea will be messed up. This happens with either Speed OR Memory (though less than 100% of the time). However, the good news is that toggling from Speed to Memory will clear the issue. And if it happens with Memory, toggling from Memory to Speed and then back to Memory seems to clear up the issue.

Thank you so much. This fixed it for me!

• jukingeojukingeo Posts: 711

Hello All,

Ok, I have one for you.  I found this thread when I was having an issue with one of my Gen 8 characters I have been using for a long time now.   Suddenly she aquired these large black rings around the iris of the eye. Like everyone else here that had the problem, switching out the eyes didn't fix it.  So doing a search I came across this thread.  I followed it and then adjusted my Instancing Optimization from Auto to Speed and that fixed the problem.  However, setting it to Memory also fixes the problem.  However placing it back on Auto, the black ring is back around my character's eyes.   So this is raising a few questions on my part.  What it is that this setting does?  Why is the auto setting an issue and not the other two?  Why did this just happen with a particular scene as I know it isn't the character herself since I been using her for a very long time now?

Thank you,

• That was really helpful .. thanks everyone ..

• jukingeo said:

Hello All,

Ok, I have one for you.  I found this thread when I was having an issue with one of my Gen 8 characters I have been using for a long time now.   Suddenly she aquired these large black rings around the iris of the eye. Like everyone else here that had the problem, switching out the eyes didn't fix it.  So doing a search I came across this thread.  I followed it and then adjusted my Instancing Optimization from Auto to Speed and that fixed the problem.  However, setting it to Memory also fixes the problem.  However placing it back on Auto, the black ring is back around my character's eyes.   So this is raising a few questions on my part.  What it is that this setting does?  Why is the auto setting an issue and not the other two?  Why did this just happen with a particular scene as I know it isn't the character herself since I been using her for a very long time now?

Thank you,

Thank you I have tried so many things and this was perfect and a quick fix.
  • shootybear said:

I can replicate this almost 100% of the time quite easily. Start out with empty scene. Load character Genesis 8 Female (or any other character). Set to X Translate to 5000. Sclerea will be messed up. This happens with either Speed OR Memory (though less than 100% of the time). However, the good news is that toggling from Speed to Memory will clear the issue. And if it happens with Memory, toggling from Memory to Speed and then back to Memory seems to clear up the issue.

Holy moly.

I had experienced this issue and had searched the forums for solutions. As a DAZ noob, some of the suggested fixes seemed complex and in some cases, indecipherable. 

And then i stumbled across this comment, implemented it in 5 seconds, and voila! It worked!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

• I know Im resurecting an old thread but just thought I'd leave a comment to say that for me it didnt fix the problem. It did make it less noticeable but the black ring is still there. What a weird annoying bug. Ill give a $50 to anyone who find the root cause of this weird issue.

• Julzjucie said:

I know Im resurecting an old thread but just thought I'd leave a comment to say that for me it didnt fix the problem. It did make it less noticeable but the black ring is still there. What a weird annoying bug. Ill give a $50 to anyone who find the root cause of this weird issue.

Hi ;) https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/284301/my-first-script-feedback-sought