DazStudio Not Using GPU for Rendering

Hi everyone! I know this may be a frequent question asked, but I've yet to find a solution.

My specs are below. It appears that Iray rendering in DazStudio is refusing to use my GPU (2080Ti) at all. This is confirmed with viewing GPU status in both GPU-Z and the Task Manager. The GPU remains at idle frequences during render (but is in use by DazStudio for preview). What I've tried so far, with no success:

1) Rendering a small scene (e.g. even an empty scene with only a single asset & a light), so that it definitly fits in the 11GB VRAM...

2) Optimax on/off

3) Unchecking CPU in render settings (and checking the GPU) (usually results in either an all-black render, or no render - i.e. the GPU is just ignored).

4) Spot-rendering (same result as #3)

4) Looking at render logs (i think). It shows CPU is used (if checked), but there is no mention of my GPU

5) Uninstalling and reinstalling graphics drivers. All are up to date.

I'm really not sure what else to do now. Any help would be appreciated!

Specs:

CPU: i5 6600K

RAM: 16GB

GPU: RTX 2080 Ti (11GB VRAM)

SSD: Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB

Comments

• The verwsion of Iray in the release version of DS (4.10.0.123) does not support the 20x0 series cards. That in the current Public beta (4.11.0.236) does support the cards. You can get the Public Beta from https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta - note that it must be isntalled via Install Manager, and that if this is your first DS Public beta you will need to reinstall your plug-ins, most shaders (actual shaders, not just presets for existing shaders), and some scripts in order for them to be available and work correctly in the beta.

• The verwsion of Iray in the release version of DS (4.10.0.123) does not support the 20x0 series cards. That in the current Public beta (4.11.0.236) does support the cards. You can get the Public Beta from https://www.daz3d.com/daz-studio-beta - note that it must be isntalled via Install Manager, and that if this is your first DS Public beta you will need to reinstall your plug-ins, most shaders (actual shaders, not just presets for existing shaders), and some scripts in order for them to be available and work correctly in the beta.

Thank you!! Much appreciated.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,940

Richard might have access to a Private Beta version 4.11.0.236, but we mere mortals currently have Public Beta 4.11.0.231. 4.11.0.231 should work for you.

• Sorry, I was going from memory - and memory that didn't apply at that (a note from the devs pointing out that the fix for an issue is in 4.11.0.136, which is after 5.11.0.131, so I had the higher number in my head).

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,940

More typos?

• d'ho

• wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572

This is good to know as I was going to spring for a 2080ti.  I'll wait until it's supported in the next public release of DAZ. 

Scott

• I am using DS Public beta (4.11.0.236) with a nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 8Gb Card. I have checked only GPU (and Optix Acceleration) in the Advanced Render Settings for both Interactive and Phhotoreal. I have installed the latest nVidia driver for my card. Yet DS will not use the GPU only CPU. And when it is rendering maxes out my CPU.

The latest driver was installed via nVidia's Geforce Experience and is Version: 418.81 Release Date: 02/04/2019

I am assuming that the install also included the latest CUDA driver at the same time.

DS 4.10 (latest version) uses the nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 8Gb Card, no problems, with exactly the same setttings as above.

Anyone have a solution?

• I have the same problem with Nivida 2070. Also using Public beta from todays download.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@stiks1954 "I have installed the latest nVidia driver"

That's your problem. The latest NVIDIA driver is buggy and apparently causing this problem for many users (not just Studio). Using the latest driver is usually not a good choice unless it fixes a specific problem you experience.

• Hi everyone! I know this may be a frequent question asked, but I've yet to find a solution.

My specs are below. It appears that Iray rendering in DazStudio is refusing to use my GPU (2080Ti) at all. This is confirmed with viewing GPU status in both GPU-Z and the Task Manager. The GPU remains at idle frequences during render (but is in use by DazStudio for preview). What I've tried so far, with no success:

1) Rendering a small scene (e.g. even an empty scene with only a single asset & a light), so that it definitly fits in the 11GB VRAM...

2) Optimax on/off

3) Unchecking CPU in render settings (and checking the GPU) (usually results in either an all-black render, or no render - i.e. the GPU is just ignored).

4) Looking at render logs (i think). It shows CPU is used (if checked), but there is no mention of my GPU

Specs:

Same thing happened to me until I learned you have to use the public beta.  After updating to the beta, my 2080 ti and 2 GTX 970's would fly through renders.  As others said, don't use the latest Nvidia drivers.  I've been using 25.21.14.1735 that was released back in November.

• SlootySlotsSlootySlots Posts: 2
    edited February 2019

Can confirm the Nvidia driver released on Feb 4th was crashing my gpu. Do a clean uninstal and dl a previous driver. 

Post edited by SlootySlots on
  • Rolled back my nVidia driver to 417.01 Novenber 2018, and now DS Public beta (4.11.0.236) recognises and uses the GPU.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Appreciated.

•  

Hi everyone! I know this may be a frequent question asked, but I've yet to find a solution.

2) Optimax on/off

Specs:

Same thing happened to me until I learned you have to use the public beta.  After updating to the beta, my 2080 ti and 2 GTX 970's would fly through renders.  As others said, don't use the latest Nvidia drivers.  I've been using 25.21.14.1735 that was released back in November.

Hi!

In this post they say that falling back to 417.71 works well

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/post/quote/265581/Comment_4361706

I have the latest nvidia drivers installed and recognizes my GPU but it does not use it. I'll try to go back to the November release tonight

•  

I have the latest drivers installed and my GPU recognizes but it does not use it. I'll try to go back to the November release tonight

• ParadigmParadigm Posts: 421

Try disabling Architectural Sampling. My 2080TI will not render at all with it enabled.

• NVIDIA 431.70 works for me

• Learning3DLearning3D Posts: 90
    edited December 2019

441.28 isn't working. Updating to 441.66. Will report back.

RTX2080TI Win 10 

EDIT: It is my failure. Task Manager didn't show any load. But GPU-Z shows loads up to 100% and the power GPU power consumption increases as well.

small GPU Usage 2.JPG
    1812 x 1247 - 247K
    Post edited by Learning3D on
  • Try with msi afterburner

441.28 isn't working. Updating to 441.66. Will report back.

RTX2080TI Win 10 

EDIT: It is my failure. Task Manager didn't show any load. But GPU-Z shows loads up to 100% and the power GPU power consumption increases as well.