Scenes loading slowly

I've got an Alienware 17" laptop, all SSD (with proper drivers), but I've noticed that as I crossed 800 products and now have 1002 products, scenes load slowly.  I'm wondering if there are database tools to analyze the database and see if there something wrong that is causing slow (sometimes well over a minute or two) load times?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Comments

• Figures with a lot of morphs will always load more slowly than those without, as DS has to read the files in to check for any relationships even if the actual morph value is 0.

• wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572
    edited September 2018

Thanks Richard,

You've always been very helpful.  How about a standard Genesis 8 figure being merged into the default scene?   I just did it and it took one minute and fifteen seconds.   I suppose a better question would be, if I load a Genesis 8 female, default pose, do all morphs for a Genesis 8 female get loaded at that time or do they get loaded when the "Actor" item in the Parameter Tab is selected? From you answer above, it would seem they get loaded at merge time, so clarifying that would go a long way in helping me understand.

Thank you, sir!

Scott

Post edited by wsgentry on
  • Additionally, I'd like to ask about slower Smart Content searches.  Depending on the character and the number of related products, using Smart Content can be slow--sometimes taking 30-40 seconds for Studio to display all the relevant categories.   Is this normal?  Is it simply the number of products I have or should it be more instantaneous?

Thanks,

Scott

• All the morphs get read, since DS has to know which sliders to display and which other sliders may be triggered when any given slider is set. The bulk of the data for an actual morph, the changes in vertex position (deltas), is not however kept in memory until the morph has a non-zero value.

Yes, Smart Content can take a while to populate - it's a database with a lot of entries, which potentially need filtering so that only those with content are displayed if Filter By Context is checked.

• Thanks Richard!

One more and I'm done.  Is there a way to optimize the database?  I'm asking because in videos that I've watched, it seems things just snap up and I can't notice any cuts in the timeline or anything that indicates editing in the video. 

Thank you, again!

Scott

• I'm not aware of a way. It's possible that exporting user data, resetting the database, and reimporting metadata might clean it up - but then you'd have to "reinstall" anyhting isntalled via Connect (it should see the existing files and not download new copies, but that has been abit hit-and-miss for me).

• Cool!  Thank you, Richard.  I'm just exploring things and you've been extremely helpful.

Scott

• I was wrong - there is a way to clean up and compact the database (though DS will do it itself periodically). Open the Content Library pane's option menu (the lined button in the top corner, or right-click the tab)>Content DB Maintenance and check Condense Database, then click Accept.

• Thank you again, Richard!  I'll try it out now and report results! 

Scott

• Richard,

It's funny, the progress dialog said, "Vacuuming Database"!  It took about eight minutes.  Was it worth it?  No, not really.  It was worth a shot though and I truly appreciate your digging into it to find a solution.  Thank you so much!

Scott

• Heh, thank Rob for pointing out the Condense command.

• I am also experiencing new unexplained slow downs. Complex scenes (city sets and 3-4 characters) that used to load in 2-3 minutes now take 25-30. Tumbling cameras is painfully laggy and even selection lags. Sometimes I have to release the mouse for a couple of seconds for it to stop whatever previous action (tumble pan etc) was underway before I can attempt a new one. 

My system has not changed - 2010 Mac Pro - 32GB - El Capitan - no new software updates - I tried re-installing Daz 4.10 - I've cleared off disk space (have about 30 GB free)

Also when I quit Daz it hangs forever and I'm forced to force quit 

this all began in the last 2-3 weeks.

Any suggestions would be welcome

thanks

• Hey Rob!  Thanks!!! :) 

In my case, I can't isolate any one thing I've done as possibly causal.  I just noticed practically everything started going slowly.  I use DAZ with an Alienware G4 17" 4K display laptop, 32gb memory and 4TB all SSD storage, 1080ti via Graphics Amplifier (soon to be a 2080TI as soon as I know for certain it works with Studio).   I did have a problem with an update to MalwareBytes which caused the system to stutter, but I found the cause of that and disabled the offending service.   I've also disabled Tobi Eye Tracking because I don't do shooter games.  Viewing process activity when a scene is loading shows absolutely no indication of resource sapping; same story for Smart Content filtering.   This is why I asked about database optimization.  I've even had Alienware support look at it with their findings being identical to mine (they get into my computer and poke around all under my watchful eye).  

I realize you have a Mac, so this is probably not useful to you at all.   I have an iMac upstairs, but I don't use it for DAZ as portability is a must for me.  I may try to load DAZ on it and provided I don't have to pay again for my DAZ products, as time permits, I'll test there. 

About the only suggestions I have is to use Activity Monitor to see if there is some resource issue.  I'm not certain if Apple stripped out command line process visibility/resource use commands but if they haven't, I'd trust those more as graphics displays sap resources, too. 

Scott

• CASINCCASINC Posts: 76
    Was going create a thread about this but ya... I'm not sure what it is, it's been a pretty recent problem and nothing computer wise has changed on my side. people are mentioning about a couple minute load times...when seriously I have half an hour to an hour sceen load times of nothing but a pre designed G8 character. I woke up, open daz, it has been 2 hours and I still haven't been able to work with it cause it's still loading scenes. In program and rendering everything works fine.
  • wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572

My problem isn't that long, but I do think it's dealing with the number of morphs that load with a scene.   I wonder if there is a script that can purge unused morphs?

Scott

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,912

When it finally finishes, look at the log file (Help>Troubleshooting>View Log File). Entries are time tagged. Maybe you can see if there is a long delay at some point, or whether every step is slow.

• Don't know if daz is looking into this but if they are loading times get longer after 700+ products. I have uninstaled and reinstalled daz 4 times now trying to make custom folders and what not for easier navigation. Each time i go above 700 installed products the load times become excessive. Eg 10 mins to load a scene 10-11 mins to render it. The slow down always happens after 700 or more products

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,677

Yeah, the more morphs/expression packs, especially HD installed, the longer it takes to load. I wiped out my whole g8f directory and installing selectively from scratch. G8F, with 55 base, 50 3rd party non-hd character packs and 25 expression sets loads in 10.5 sec according to log. I added the 30 HD base sets I have to that, and the time shot up to 46.9 sec. I decided not to install those after seeing that lol. I never use the base figures anyways, so might as well leave off the HD files just adding more time to load and never used.