Utilities for converting G3 figures to G8 figures?

I know there has to be something out there, but I don't know where.  Is there a utility for converting G3 females to G8 females?   I've got a G3 character that I'd like to move to G8, particularly the face, but haven't had much luck.  I've even gone as far as using Facegen, it works, but the result doesn't look the same. 

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Comments

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,611

I've seen numerous posts that mention a step-by-step way (I believe by SickleYield) and I think there's a scripted tool floating around somewhere on DeviantArt. However, neither will work for HD morphs, from what I've read. I'd love to be able to do the same thing. G8 seems much easier to emote facially. 

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 38,053
    edited September 2018

post removed

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572
    edited September 2018

Thanks for the replies.  I saw the tool on DeviantArt some time ago, but it was early in development and haven't seen it since.  Perhaps it's better now?

I agree, it should be easy, in fact, as you said, th3Digit, it should be part of Studio.  I've seen a step-by-step tutorial on how to make G3 female footwear fit a G8 Female, but I haven't tried it.  Clothes seem to cross generations just fine using the built-in tool, but I don't think I've had footwear cross properly.  Hair, too--it works fine.  It's got to be easier than the steps you outline.

Thanks again!

Scott

Post edited by wsgentry on
  • I just played around with surfaces.

I located the face surface of the figure I wanted to convert to G8.   I loaded the G8 female base.  In the surfaces tab, I loaded the face from the G3 figure onto the G8 figure.

I can't find it but when G8 first came out, I remember reading that skins were interchangeable from G3 to G8.  So, I tried it. It seemed to work, but I've only done small changes so far.

Scott

edited September 2018

I use G8 skins on G3 all the time...haven't tried to go the other way yet, but I'd assume it would be fine. But that's just the surfaces - it won't help with actual morph or character sets used to make your own custom face shape.

As an example, I've attatched shots of two different G3 (Olympia 7) characters using skin from G8 Enaria by Eva1 (they're twin sisters...which is why they have the same shape). The third is a shot of a G3 male (Damien Devil) using Cat World for G8 by RawArt, as well as an available G8 fur geoshell by Oso3D.

Kira - 2 - small.jpg
    2700 x 2160 - 2M
    Raz - 1 - small.jpg
    2160 x 2160 - 4M
    Jorgan WIP 4.PNG
    1089 x 1086 - 2M
    Post edited by MelissaGT on
  • Thanks, Melissa!  You have talent.  :)

Yeah, the shape of the G8 base female and the G3 character I used is pretty similar so they look pretty good side by side--there are differences so I'm going to play with face shapes and other morphs to get it right.  A lot of work, though.  

I haven't tried it the other way, either. 

Thanks again!

Scott

• I had good results with A-Sennov method (base resolution morph, not HD).

Just search for [Tutorial] Morphs from Genesis 3 to 8 accurate way and You should be able to find it! wink

Once You have a scene set-up to export the .obj, it's a rather fast process.

• I found it, thanks!

There is also a purchaseable .exe for this, but I don't have a DeviantArt account so paying for it is difficult.

Scott

edited September 2018

I've been tempted to purchase the converter on DeviantArt...but it works out to roughly $25 and honestly I'm getting kind of tired of wasting money on 3rd party stuff that doesn't work the way it's supposed to. If anybody could let me know how it works, that would be awesome. There's so much neat looking armor and whatnot coming out for G8 that I cannot for the life of me get to work right on G3...even after following numerous tutorials (maybe I'm just too much of a perfectionist). Some clothing works fine...and using dForce takes away a lot of the capatibility issues for soft and flowy stuff...but other sets, like intricate armor is usually a flat-no (I tried using SY's tutorial to convert Linday's Dark Fantasy Outfit and it was a bust...and I'm not even talking about the high heels). Unfortunately, the main character I feature in a large percentage of my artwork is G3...and uses -a lot- of morphs and a mix of character presets. For example, just her base face is a mix of Arabella 7, Georgia, Gwennili, Kimberly, Olympia 7, and Ophelia 7...and that's not breaking into the separate morphs. Alas, I think she is forever to be locked as a G3...

Lelu - Small.jpg
    2160 x 2160 - 2M
    Post edited by MelissaGT on
    edited September 2018

I got the clothing converter from DAZ.  It works on a lot of items, except the one item I wanted it to work on.  I'd be a willing guinea pig for the converter on Deviant Art if I could just pay for it. 

In the interim, here's my manual G3 to G8 conversion.  It was a lot of work.  First one is G8, second one is the G3... note that in the G8 conversion, I did not convert clothing nor did I apply body morphs so the body is a bit different, too.  There are differences, but I think it came out okay.  The boots in the G3 character did not convert to G8 using the clothing converter.

It's a shame about your character.  You put a lot of work in it--especially the scarring.

Scott

Girl Sitting G3 to G8 conversion.jpg
    1638 x 2079 - 1M
    girl sitting lots of dof.jpg
    1704 x 2104 - 1M
    Post edited by wsgentry on
  • Don't give up Your character! wink

You should be able to bring it (the base resolution shape) to G8F following this tutorial: https://www.deviantart.com/a-sennov/journal/Tutorial-Morphs-from-Genesis-3-to-8-accurate-way-735130233

Save a G3F shape preset of Your character (perhaps just 0 sliders for which You'll use G8F's ones, e.g. Navel).

Prepare a scene up to the point where he says "You may save this scene for future use." (let me add, make the file read only)

Apply Your shape preset to G3F in the scene, and export the resulting .obj.

Keep following the tutorial and You should end up with a single G8F morph of Your character!

I've done it several times (from Arabella to Victoria) and the method is good! yes

• Melissastjames,

I broke down and created an account on Deviant Art and downloaded the program.  Unfortunately, I won't get a chance to use it until Sunday evening.  I'll report results. 

Scott

I just thought I'd report back that Genesis 3 to Genesis 8 morph converter works as advertised!  It perfectely converted my favorite G3 character to G8.  Happy!

Scott

• A bit late on this one, but where would I go about buying this program?

• I've been using Redz method for quite a while.  It's free, and a snap to do after you get your clones made.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2539536/#Comment_2539536