Carrara 8.5 Documentation

Comments

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

iz pages about ca8.5 weightmapping?

i'd like to try wm aiko3/hiro3.

• takezo_3001takezo_3001 Posts: 1,935

I'd still prefer an updated PDF-manual which I could print instead of tons of wiki articles. (The last official manual is (!!!!) 5 years old!). And there are several broken links such as the following: http://www.daz3d.com/i/3d-models/Plugins+&+Utilities?cat=1083

Therefore, with a printed PDF-manual I could go step by step without being online all the time and being frustrated by a broken wiki. :)

THIS^ Navigating thousands of pages, and tabbing those thousands of links within each paragraph is just as much as a time destroyer as the internet itself! BTW, I use Print pages to PDF  as it's an excellent tool for de-wiki-ing these horrible wikis!angel

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    MistyMist said:

iz pages about ca8.5 weightmapping?

i'd like to try wm aiko3/hiro3.

The weight painting method is the same in C8.5 as it was in C7.2, so the manual is still relevant.

the manual i have says 

Carrara 7

Revision G
    11 December 2008

is that the latest for weight mapping?

Thanks.

• Yes. 90% of the manual is still relevant. The biggest omissions are for Bullet physics, IES lights, Genesis, the Smart Content tab, graph editor improvements and some minor interface changes. There are probably other changes that I'm forgetting about.
  • I purchased Carara 8.5 and never use it, I think Carara sucks because DAZ Doesn't seem to support it. I hope I am wrong

• The owners of the software, (apparently) not supporting it sucks, but that doesn't mean Carrara sucks. Instead of bitching about how it sucks, without actually having used it, why not try it since you've bought it? That way, if you still think it sucks, at least you will have a basis to say it sucks, instead of making comments based on ignorance.
    The owners of the software, (apparently) not supporting it sucks, but that doesn't mean Carrara sucks. Instead of bitching about how it sucks, without actually having used it, why not try it since you've bought it? That way, if you still think it sucks, at least you will have a basis to say it sucks, instead of making comments based on ignorance.

I bought it, tried it, got frustrated, gave up, tried again, and can mostly say the rendering engine sucks, (Compared with iRay/LuxRender) but the modeling and physics engine along with the rudementary landscape gen doesn't, (Though it shows it's age..) so I'd say about 25% of the program sucks, and the rest, I'm still learning...But yeah, I can understand Softimage's frustration though...

Except that Softimage said he/she never opened it. A biased renderer is also different than an unbiased renderer. Comparing Carrara's native renderer to LuxRender and iRay is like comparing apples and oranges. A more apt comparison is 3Delight since it is biased.

Personally, I found that Studio's biased renderer, 3Delight, was slower than Carrara's native renderer and Carrara's looked better at default settings than Studio's. My opinion is subjective of course. No matter the renderer, biased or no, if you don't understand how to use them, then the results will be poor.

BTW, you can use Luxus and Luxcore with Carrara via plugins. here's a couple links to check out when you have the time:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/50130/luxuscore-carrara/p1

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/42282/luxus-for-carrara-question/p1

Both threads have questions and and answers, troubleshooting and many test renders.

BTW, you can use Luxus and Luxcore with Carrara via plugins. here's a couple links to check out when you have the time:

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/50130/luxuscore-carrara/p1

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/42282/luxus-for-carrara-question/p1

Both threads have questions and and answers, troubleshooting and many test renders.

Sorry, I thought I thanked you already in a reply, it might've gotten deleted if not, then Thanks for the links!

Hey, no problem. I'm sorry you didn't like Carrara.

is there 8.5 documentation on Moon light under the Motion: dropdown list?

thanks.

regarding the sucks comments.  i gave up on carrara many times, since carrara 6.  
    This time i've stuck with it a full year, the more i learn the more i enjoy it. 
    It took reading the ref manual, utoob tutorials, ask lots of questions in the forum. no question is too silly. ask away.

• MistyMist said:

thanks.

regarding the sucks comments.  i gave up on carrara many times, since carrara 6.  
    It took reading the ref manual, utoob tutorials, ask lots of questions in the forum. no question is too silly. ask away.

Look under the help menu. The pdf is for version 7, but it should still be relevant for the Moon light.
    edited December 2015
    MistyMist said:

thanks.

Look under the help menu. The pdf is for version 7, but it should still be relevant for the Moon light.

This is from the reference manual that was included in CA8.5pro d/l.  there's only 4 options in Motion, it doesn't even list keyframes?  

the manual is dated 2008?  is that too early to be C7 reference manual?
    this is the pdf i found in the carrara help folder.

Capture no moonligt in ref manual.JPG
    971 x 746 - 113K
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • It looks like the right number of pages. The cover page should tell you what version it is for and what the revision number is.
  • Hi,

there is a ebook or book of carrara? No video tutorial, my english isn't good for hearn. In the web i don't find any.

• The manual i already readed

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    Arisguard said:

Hi,

there is a ebook or book of carrara? No video tutorial, my english isn't good for hearn. In the web i don't find any.

not that I know of - you could turn off the sound and watch them

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=carrara+8.5+pro+tutorials

• Arisguard said:

Hi,

There's an old one written for Carrara 5. Some of it is still relevant. You can get it on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Carrara-5-Pro-Handbook-Graphics/dp/1584504633/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1450188986&sr=1-2&keywords=carrara+in+books

• ok, tnks. I'm doing a offer in a ebay vendor, for book carrara 5. Tnks

edited January 2016
    Post edited by Mistara on
  • bigh said:
    Arisguard said:

Hi,

not that I know of - you could turn off the sound and watch them

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=carrara+8.5+pro+tutorials

As of today there is one of the original manuals that came in the box with the Carrara 4 product for sale at eBay for ONLY $12.

(I have one and still use it though Carrara's interface has changed,  about 85% of the book is still used in the DAZ3D documentation word for word.)

This official Carrara manual is 628 pages long and was published by Eovia, the Carrara 4 software company at that time and was included with the boxed product.

Here is the link as of 01-16-2016:
    Carrara4 Reference Guide,Powerful, Approachable,Complete 3D,REFERENCE GUIDE,2004

If link doesn't work then cut and paste...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Carrara4-Reference-Guide-Powerful-Approachable-Complete-3D-REFERENCE-GUIDE-2004-/301838094129?hash=item4646f3cf31:g:CiAAAOxycmBSySzx

Hope this helps.

The Carrara 7 manual ships with the download version of Carrara and is under the help menu.
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,227
    The Carrara 7 manual ships with the download version of Carrara and is under the help menu.

Not with the Windows version, which ships with an older version 6 manual, which is why I've posted several manual option links at the top of the ►►► Carrara Information Manual ◄◄◄

New !!! Online Carrara Documentation Wiki

Carrara 7 User Guide Revision G - 11 December 2008

Carrara 8 Basic User Guide beta 0.2 - 17 June 2010 Great resources for learning the vast features and abilities that you have with this software. Although many things about Carrara are easy to learn at their very basic level, right from the interface, it helps to explore deeper by seeing what the manuals have to say. Very well written, you could be amazed at what you've been missing out on all these years!

Huh. I thought they changed that with one of the C8.5 versions. I'm pretty sure I had it with C8.5, but I wouldn't swear to it.
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    Huh. I thought they changed that with one of the C8.5 versions. I'm pretty sure I had it with C8.5, but I wouldn't swear to it.

I have one for C8 from 10/20/12

Only one I can find for C8

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited July 2017

I have Carrara 8.5.#### Pro 64 bit for Windows bought last year but redownloaded again this past May 2017 from my file locker at the DAZ Store and it has the Carrara 7 Manual when I access the menu via the Carrara Help Menu. I just looked at it today before finding the manual posted in this forum section for Carrara 8 Beta 2.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on

was their a list of hot keys?

dynamic extrude is shift+h

is there shift + ? for extract along?

tysmiley

• rk66rk66 Posts: 433

like that "Carrara Shortcuts Reference" > http://carraracafe.com/?s=shortcut+reference