[solved] dForce - "No objects to simulate"

rames44rames44 Posts: 329

I've run into this problem several times.  This is with 4.10.0.123 on Windows.

I have a scene in which none of the items are (originally) dForce items.  I select one item and do "dForce >> Add dForce Modifier : Dynamic Surface" and then select 1-2 other items and select "dForce >> Add dForce Modifier : Static Surface."

I verify that all three items have "Visible in Simulation" set to "On".  I also verify that the object to which I added the dynamic modifier has a "Simulation" setting listed in the "Surfaces" pane with (presumably) all the default settings for simulation.

I click on the "Simulate" button, and I get a  "Simulation Error" dialog with "No objects to simulate.  To simulate, perform one of the following actions..."  The first, of which, is to add a dForce Modifier to an object in the scene, which I have already done.

What am I missing?

Post edited by rames44 on

Comments

• Does this happen with the same objects every time or does it happen only occasionally?  I ran into this where it would give me the same error infrequently and the only way for Dforce to start working again was to close and re-open DAZ Studio.  I haven't seen this happen in 4.11 beta yet so maybe it was a bug that was fixed.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843
    Be sure you haven't turned on Freeze Simulation for those objects in the Parameters pane.
  • I've never applied a dForce Static Surface, only Dynamic, and it works every time.

When selecting the Static items, are you selecting them all at once, or separately? All/both at once could be tripping it up.

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    edited September 2018

Yeah, it's happened to me a couple times on 4.10.0.123, and restarting D|S seems to fix it.  This usually comes after messing around with clothing that isn't dForce-specific. Perhaps there's an internal crash in the dForce kernel that restarting fixes. I can usually anticipate issue if there's a dynamic surface that causes a lot of spring issues (thousands).

FWIW, I don't think a simulation needs a static surface unless meshes collide. The error message should not occur if there are no static surfaces, but the scene does need at least one dynamic surface. Since there's clearly a surface (e.g. just made with default dynamic modifier applied), it's got to be a bug in D|S.

Post edited by Tobor on
  • rames44rames44 Posts: 329

Still at my wit's end on this.

The item I want to simulate is marked as a dynamic surface.  Freeze simulation is off.  Visible in Simulation is On.  It's surfaces have simulation settings.  I've stopped and restarted DS several times.

And yet still it says "No objects to simulate."

shot1.png
    398 x 505 - 27K
    shot2.png
    400 x 505 - 23K
    shot3.png
    395 x 492 - 46K
    shot4.png
    1820 x 1014 - 15K

OK, I finally sorted this out.  I had been using a script by mCasual that turned on and off simulation visibility in the scene in an attempt to "prune" the number of items that dForce would pay attention to.  Apparently it's too aggressive - it turns off something internal in such a way that turning "Visible In Simulation" back on in the scene isn't sufficient.

So, mea culpa...

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,843

Wow, that is a good discovery. Have you informed him of the issus?

I haven’t been able to completely recreate the situation - I might have “fat-fingered” something. Using his “show all” fixed the problem. 

Just so you know I have gotten the same error message and I don't use that script. So the cause may be different, but the reason may be the same. Something is changing the visibility in the simulation that's deeper than the UI displays.

Reminds me of a problem I had last week. I got a jogging outfit at another store and it comes with running shoes. The vendor hides the toes so they don't poke through. Only somehow when the visibility was turned off by the preset NOTHING would manually display them again. The eyeball icon was there for the toes, metatarsals, and all the sub joints. Maddening. Unfortunately, there was no "Remove Shoes" preset. Not all vendors think of these things. Fortunately I had an earlier version of the scene where I reimported the character, who then got all her toes back.

• Tobor said:
    Reminds me of a problem I had last week. I got a jogging outfit at another store and it comes with running shoes. The vendor hides the toes so they don't poke through. Only somehow when the visibility was turned off by the preset NOTHING would manually display them again. The eyeball icon was there for the toes, metatarsals, and all the sub joints. Maddening. Unfortunately, there was no "Remove Shoes" preset. Not all vendors think of these things. Fortunately I had an earlier version of the scene where I reimported the character, who then got all her toes back.

They didn't come back if you removed (or unfitted) the shoes? If they ddi that would sound like the shoes were set-up as a GeoGraft.

I didn't think it could be a geograft but I suppose that's possible. But as simply hiding the toes usually does the trick for closed-toed shoes, why bother? I don't remember if I removed them and not just hid them. 

Tobor said:

Just so you know I have gotten the same error message and I don't use that script. So the cause may be different, but the reason may be the same. Something is changing the visibility in the simulation that's deeper than the UI displays.

It’s quite possible that I invoked the script with a bone selected (instead of a figure/object/outfit) or something like that and this resulted is a situation in which the top-level object was “visible in simulation” but its innards weren’t, causing dForce to have a conniption. That may be why I can’t recreate the situation - I may not be replicating my “fat fingering” from before. 

• I'm kind of a beginner, but I'm having this problem with an item that is supposed to be dforce enabled, specifically the IDG dforce poncho. Well ONE of the ponchos. I'm trying to put the small square poncho on a G8F figure. It's not parented, it's positioned around the neck . . . and I get the error that there are no objects to simulate, with a few options--add a dforce item, turn on visibility (it's on), add a dforce modifier. Here's the real kicker, though: There's no problem with the LARGE poncho. It works just fine with all of the same settings. I can resize the large poncho and it still works fine, but then the neck hole is too small, and I don't yet know how to resize the poncho and keep the hole the same size, which it has to be. I'm going for a look, here!

Can someone tell me (or point me) what I'm missing, but in beginner's language like I'm a Thermian? Because I WILL get lost in the tech talk unless I'm directed to a tutorial on the tech talk first. I mostly just want a small poncho on this character without a hassle.

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 6,175

blue_ac1fe430 said:

I'm kind of a beginner, but I'm having this problem with an item that is supposed to be dforce enabled, specifically the IDG dforce poncho. Well ONE of the ponchos. I'm trying to put the small square poncho on a G8F figure. It's not parented, it's positioned around the neck . . . and I get the error that there are no objects to simulate, with a few options--add a dforce item, turn on visibility (it's on), add a dforce modifier. Here's the real kicker, though: There's no problem with the LARGE poncho. It works just fine with all of the same settings. I can resize the large poncho and it still works fine, but then the neck hole is too small, and I don't yet know how to resize the poncho and keep the hole the same size, which it has to be. I'm going for a look, here!

Can someone tell me (or point me) what I'm missing, but in beginner's language like I'm a Thermian? Because I WILL get lost in the tech talk unless I'm directed to a tutorial on the tech talk first. I mostly just want a small poncho on this character without a hassle.

Which one, to be exact? I could not reproduce the issue with the named product...