dForce Question

tdctdc Posts: 130

How can I - or is it possible - to use dForce to "drop pants" on a character. (I love how this sounds!) can I use something to release the waist and essentially, lower the waist? I tried looking it up myself but, I am lost at where to look.

Thanks!

Post edited by tdc on

Comments

• If the waist is loose enough and you run a simualtion they should drop off - that's a reason some older items, with a wide offset from the skin, don't work well as dForce.

• tdctdc Posts: 130

If the waist is loose enough and you run a simualtion they should drop off - that's a reason some older items, with a wide offset from the skin, don't work well as dForce.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I don't want them to actually drop off.. just lower on the waist.

edited June 2018

ah, no good. Waste stays where it is. :-(

I was hoping there was a way to release whatever has a hold of the waist.

Post edited by tdc on
  • If it was alreadys et-up for dForce the belt/waistband may have its own surface settings, with Dynamic Strength 0, or a weight map applying zero dynamic strength.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,914

What pants are you trying?

I don't own those. So I can't offer specific advice on those. Select the pants in the scene pane and then open the surfaces pane. Select the pants in the surfaces pane and scroll to Dynamic Strength. Set it to 1. Scroll to the button for Visible In Simulation and make sure it is Yes or On (I'm not at the computer to check the exact text). Then run the simulation. See if that works any better.
    barbult said:
    I don't own those. So I can't offer specific advice on those. Select the pants in the scene pane and then open the surfaces pane. Select the pants in the surfaces pane and scroll to Dynamic Strength. Set it to 1. Scroll to the button for Visible In Simulation and make sure it is Yes or On (I'm not at the computer to check the exact text). Then run the simulation. See if that works any better.

No luck. I will keep looking and be trying and if I find a solution, I will post it for future

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,215

Did the pants move at all? If not, did you go to the dforce tab and set them to dynamic surface?

Kitsumo said:

Did the pants move at all? If not, did you go to the dforce tab and set them to dynamic surface?

oh yes, they move. nicely too! But the waist stays put.

edited June 2018

I don't have those pants, but I've been experimenting on other pants. This is harder than I anticipated. When you want some dForce thing to stay up, it keeps falling down. Now when you want something to fall down, it won't budge! 

These are the Genesis 8 Male Mega Wardrobe sweatpants. They are not dForce ready, so I added dForce modifier to them. Then I dialed their Adjust-Hips morph to 100% to make the top of the pants bigger. I  used the dForce Surface Adjuster to add stretch to the pants surfaces. That set Stretch Stiffness to 0.70, Shear Stiffness to 0.10, and Bend Stiffness to 0.40. I dialed friction on the pants surfaces all the way down to 0.0010. I set Air Resistance to 0, You can see that the pants are drooping, but they didn't fall all the way down with these settings. Maybe some of these ideas will help you with the pants you are using.

Floyd Mega Sweatpants falling down_001.jpg
    1236 x 2000 - 630K
    Post edited by barbult on
    edited June 2018

In addition to the changes above, I modified the sweatpants surfaces to reduce the Collision Offset to 0.12 and dialed the Adjust-All morph to 100%. That made the pants fall much further.

Edit: I changed the image to one with Floyd skin textures and I added the underwear after simulating the sweatpants.

Floyd Mega Sweatpants falling down_003.jpg
    1236 x 2000 - 648K
  • maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

In addition to the solution barbult offered, You can also try to use a primitive plane to push the pants down during the simulation.

You need to use the timeline for this. Set the figure up as wanted and place the primitve plane slightly above the top of the pants. In the timeline let the clothes "settle" a bit, so "basic dForcing" can happen. So insert a keyframe with no changes in position at the 15 key. Then go to the 30 key and move the plane down to where you want the top of the pants to end up.

For simulation choose "use timeline".

For rendering just delete the primitive plane again. The pants will stay down (unless simulated again ^^)

• RenderPretenderRenderPretender Posts: 1,041

Can someone please tell me where to fiind dforce "collision offset" so that I can change the value? I have found a million references to it here, but do direct information as to how to access it.

Thanks!

masi3vee said:

Can someone please tell me where to fiind dforce "collision offset" so that I can change the value? I have found a million references to it here, but do direct information as to how to access it.

Thanks!

It is in the Surfaces pane with all the other dForce parameters to control stiffness, etc. Select your item in the Scene pane then select a material surface in the Surfaces pane and scroll down to the simulation settings.

• 5200north5200north Posts: 249
    barbult said:

I don't have those pants, but I've been experimenting on other pants. This is harder than I anticipated. When you want some dForce thing to stay up, it keeps falling down. Now when you want something to fall down, it won't budge! 

These are the Genesis 8 Male Mega Wardrobe sweatpants. They are not dForce ready, so I added dForce modifier to them. Then I dialed their Adjust-Hips morph to 100% to make the top of the pants bigger. I  used the dForce Surface Adjuster to add stretch to the pants surfaces. That set Stretch Stiffness to 0.70, Shear Stiffness to 0.10, and Bend Stiffness to 0.40. I dialed friction on the pants surfaces all the way down to 0.0010. I set Air Resistance to 0, You can see that the pants are drooping, but they didn't fall all the way down with these settings. Maybe some of these ideas will help you with the pants you are using.

okay i added the mega wardrobe sweatpants and went to add dforce to them but under rigging the only option was to remove dforce modifyer. i thought these where not dforce items. 

i tried to remove the dforce on the sweatpants , so i could add it, but i got an error when i tried

edited July 2019
    5200north said:
    barbult said:

okay i added the mega wardrobe sweatpants and went to add dforce to them but under rigging the only option was to remove dforce modifyer. i thought these where not dforce items. 

i tried to remove the dforce on the sweatpants , so i could add it, but i got an error when i tried

You are correct that the sweatpants are not a dForce item in the product from the store. I don't know where you are looking in "rigging". You can use the Simulation Settings pane menu to Add dForce Modifier: Dynamic Surface to the sweatpants.

Screenshot 2019-07-16 16.19.30.png
    1090 x 282 - 32K
  • RobinsonRobinson Posts: 751

maikdecker said:

In addition to the solution barbult offered, You can also try to use a primitive plane to push the pants down during the simulation.

You need to use the timeline for this. Set the figure up as wanted and place the primitve plane slightly above the top of the pants. In the timeline let the clothes "settle" a bit, so "basic dForcing" can happen. So insert a keyframe with no changes in position at the 15 key. Then go to the 30 key and move the plane down to where you want the top of the pants to end up.

For simulation choose "use timeline".

For rendering just delete the primitive plane again. The pants will stay down (unless simulated again ^^)

Wow, this is a very useful tip for many circumstances, not just pants falling down.  Seems to work.  Thanks.

• fred9803fred9803 Posts: 1,562

For dForce pants delete the existing dForce setting which will get rid of the constrained areas and then add a new dForce dynamic setting. As for adjusting friction parameters etc. read this by RGcincy.