Using G8F skins on G3F

Is there a way to use the skin of one of my G8F character on a G3F?

Comments

• I am new at this as well but it seems to me when I have tried this if you double click it and nothing happens then it won't work. Now that being said I am pretty sure that there are clothing morphs plug ins for Daz that you can purchase here. This enables you to use clothing from say a Gen 2 character on a Gen 8 character and vice versa. How good they are that I don't know as I have not tried any of them.

• chris-2599934chris-2599934 Posts: 1,798

One way to do it:

• Load a Base G3F figure
    • Also load a G8F figure with the skin you want to use
    • If the skin you want to use is an iray material, select the G3F, open the Surfaces tab and select all her surfaces, then in the content library double click "Iray Uber Base" in Daz Studio Formats > My DAZ 3D Library > Shader Presets > Iray > Daz Uber. If you're copying a 3Delight skin, you can skip this step.
    • Now select the G8F. Right-click on her in the Surfaces tab and choose "Copy selected surface(s)"
    • Select the G3F again, Right-click on her and choose "paste to selected surface(s)"
    • Repeat the last two steps to copy and paste the Eyelashes and EyeMoisture surfaces from the G8F's separate eyelashes object to the relevant surfaces of the G3F.

There are probably cleverer ways to do it, but this seems to work.

• vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,869
    edited April 2018

The trick to using the textures -- or one of them, anyway -- is that if it's a hierarchical materials preset of any sort, then it won't work on anything other than the generation of figure for which it was made. So if a Genesis 8 material preset applies, for example, the body, the eyelashes and maybe an anatomical elements texture with the same preset, it will only work on Genesis 8 figures and characters. (There should be a little yellow -- I think -- tag on the preset reading "H. Materials" or something like that, if your CMS is running and you haven't changed file locations.)

That said, the Base Male and Base Female UVs are identical in Genesis 3 and Genesis 8. If you don't have separate materials presets, you would need to apply them to an appropriately configured Genesis 8 figure/character, save off the individual parts (body, eyelashes, anatomical elements if any) as one separate Materials preset (NOT a hierarchical materials preset) for each of those parts. The option to do that is under File menu/Save As/...  You'll need to pick a place to save them, and a name that doesn't clash with the existing presets.

For human characters, you'll probably need to use eye materials from a Genesis 3 character to replace the Genesis 8 eye materials. The geometry and surfaces changed between generations, but that's the only thing that did change.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • mlominymlominy Posts: 218
    edited April 2018

chris-2599934,

Your procedure was dead on and worked perfectly! Thanks!

Post edited by mlominy on
  • gibbiejoegibbiejoe Posts: 50
    edited December 2022

Tx!

Post edited by gibbiejoe on