Displacement bug ?

Hi, I want to use my displacement map (white shape on black background PNG.) to push part of the skin into the face as though it's been ripped off.

My initial settings were: displacement strength: 2, minimum displacement: 0, maximum displacement: -0.15, subD displacement level: 3

This only extruded the shape out of the figure in the Iray preview. I messed around with extremes for a while to see if I was missing something, and then it suddenly decided to work using the exact same values as listed. I then changed a diffuse colour setting and the displacement vanished. Now it doesn't alter at all when I change the values. I had saved the scene as both a scene subset file and shaping file but the displacement is still not apparent in the render previews after either is reloaded, in spite of the fact the values might be visible in the settings along with the map.

Is there a bug within Iray or Daz or am I missing something?

Thanks,

Comments

• Displacement is not shaping, it's a material setting, so the Shaping preset shouldn't work anyway.

There does seem to eb soemthing odd with negative displacement - unless it's changed recently, I haven't checked - but I'm not sure why it would stop working when it had been (unless you had changed the Draw Settings options - is it working still in a full render?

• No, the draw settings were untouched. That's why I can only assume it's some kind of bug. I couldn't see any reason why the same values would suddenly work after failing to do so before when no other variable had been altered. Initial settings don't work. Change the dials up and down a bit. Move them back to initial settings and suddenly they work. Doesn't make any sense to me. Change a seperate colour setting and then they suddenly vanish. Weird.
    I'll try doing it again and saving as a material setting.

• Oh, and No to the full render as well. Didn't show up there either.

• I'm not at all sure what might be going on.

• Yep. It just seems random. The displacement even disappears from one render preview to the next without changing anything at all in-between. If I change the max displacement to 3 or thereabouts so the shape pops out to a grotesque extreme and then change it back to the prior setting, it reappears in the render preview, but then disappears again if I click for a full render.

• Alowe49Alowe49 Posts: 40

The displacement maps will only give the effect you are looking for if used with a Geoshell, the shell will deform showing the characters skin underneath. I have done a quick example render(s) with basic Genesis figure as I had muscle maps available to add to the figure. Added the Geoshell with sample Jeremy mat applied, quickly made a couple of black areas to face and arm maps for the deformation. No displacement maps on Genesis and Geoshell displacement on face limbs and torso set to -0.35 and 0.2. This also works both ways eg human texture on figure and slime for the Geoshell then make and add some displacement maps.

Torn_Skin_Test.jpg
    1100 x 1500 - 643K
  • Hello

I am also observing this bug, I setup my displacement map they way I like it, it is loking good, then I copy the material properties to another surface and it stops working, I didn't change any of the material properties or the draw properties and still it just wont work anymore, even if I change the displacement strength all the way up it wont do anything.

Has anyone figured this out?

• SpaciousSpacious Posts: 481

Displacement is dependent on the overall subD density of the original geometry.  To explain, the same displacement map will look different on a cube with no divisoins than it will on that same cube that has been subdivided.  Many displacement maps will show no effect at all until subD is applied, either in displacement, or on the figure itself.  Any chance this is contributing to the problem?  I use displacement constantly and have not encountered this yet.  Are you on a beta?