Iray sucks

I bought a product that is in Iray. I bought it not knowing that it will only render in Iray. I don't have the 2 hours it takes to render a scean. Is there a way to remove the Iray BS? The product I bought was perfect for making a story board. It's the only one of it's kind and no one makes any thing close to it. And before you ask. I bought a PC that was designed to run products like DAZ. The same scean in 3D dlight will render in about 2 minutes. I don't like the way Iray changes the colors. And since this Iray sucks so bad, you people will push it on everyone. Thanks.

Comments

• IIRC, there is a free script here somewhere that will convert the iray shaders into 3dlight shaders, but I forget the name of it.  Should be possible to find it over on the Freebies forum.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032
    edited January 2018

Just go to Render Settings - Progressive Rendering and:

1) Rendering Quality Enable - off

2) Max Time - 0

3) Max Samples choose a number of samples that will finish in the amount of time you are willing to wait like: 100, 200, 300 or more. I find 300 is mostly good enough for most scenes.

4) If you ever do Commisioned Art for people say on Deviant Art or Patreon (there are some that do that) then you can up those numbers to a high quality that the person commissioning would expect. For most renders it will be 90% composition and 10% render quality because most of the quality details just aren't going to be noticable at thumbnail or catalogue table size anyway.

5) Other thing you can do is render at 150% of intended final size and scale down after you 300 iterations are complete. eg 1920x1080 FDH you'd render at 2880x1620 and then scale down to 1920x1080 after render was done in Gimp or some other SW.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • Scene

Its

You did not buy a PC designed to run "products like" DS if it cannot run something like Iray. Quadro and AMD FirePro cards are great for CAD and medical imaging or folding protein simulations. DS and Iray are not CAD products. More CUDA cores = faster Iray renders. Make your Xeons help out.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,821

IRay  does not "suck"

it renders great still images
    but you need the required hardware for using it.

• MidyinMidyin Posts: 221

I feel you pain, I really really do. it took me a looooong time to warm up to IRay when i first made the jump from 3Dlight. Hell, I'm still trying to get the hang of the lights and the new way they work(Lumin adjust brightness now, and Brightness seeminly does nothing? WFT?), but if you stay with it and keep asking questions on the forum, and keep experimenting you'll eventually get it. 

• Set your Luminance Units on Iray Emissive light sources to Watts, they make much more sense.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@Barric

Next time read the product description. It also never hurts to understand how one's tools work. 

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,610
    edited January 2018
    Barric said:

I don't have the 2 hours it takes to render a scean. .. The same scean in 3D dlight will render in about 2 minutes.

This probably means you have a very good processor and a very poor graphics card. In my experience Iray with a good card is much faster than 3delight with a good processor. I strongly suggest you to take your time and try Iray with a good card, you will be amazed of what it can do. Anyway below is the link to a script by Esemwy and Timmins William that converts iray materials to 3delight. There's also a similar script on Renderosity. I never used them.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/139326/irayto3delight-conversion-script

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/convert-it---iray-to-3delight/124773

Post edited by Padone on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,963

By Esemwy. I think I first suggested it, and tested it. But don’t get credit for the code. :)

• Axelx10Axelx10 Posts: 15

The problem with Iray isn't the system itself. I have seen tons of stuff rendered in Iray that are fantastic.

The main problem with Iray is that for most of us who were doing fine rendering in 3DL with our simple PCs and laptops now have to purchase new computers with software powerful enough to run the Space Station in order to use it and keep up with the new content coming out.

I have a pretty awsome computer that handles a lot of high intensity graphics and does quite well with 3Delight. In fact I can render Iray designed environments quite well in 3Delight I have yet been able to render in Iray...sitting at 0% after going an hour...Are you kidding?

The image below, a G2F charachter in an environment designed for Poser completely re textured for Iray. The car, the floor, the walls, all shaded in Iray. The charachter's hair and heels are also Iray textured. I re textured the charachter and her outfit back to 3DL and rendered this image in 3DL not only in 30 seconds, but at least ten times to fix all the little issues like poke through and floor contact and such, all in less time than it takes Iray to render it once without the environment and the charachter and outfit converted for Iray. In fact while screwing around trying to get Iray to work, I learned a ton more about 3Delight and how much more dynamic it is than Iray, able to push Iray designed environments as good as if not better than Iray, especially for us simple people who don't have Space Station quality software to run Iray. Where this image may lack some of that Iray "realistic" look, it still looks pretty damn realistic with out all the fuz, lighting and rendering time issues that come with Iray.

So the good news is. You don't need the Iray engine to render a lot of Iray stuff. 3DL handles most of it better than Iray does with a few surface modifications here and there. I guess it all depends on the results the artist wants based on what they have to work with without having to replace there entire systems Iray requires you to do.

012.jpg
    1504 x 893 - 173K
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@Axelx10

To each their own, but the surfaces in the skin, paint, and fabric just look flat. 

As far as replacing components and systems, this has always been the case. As hardware becomes more capable, software designers take advantage. 

• RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,296

Yes 3delight looks lack luster,  My PC cost me $5000 and that is on the low end for ray tracing.

Perhaps compare more Iray items with 3delight before making a final decision.

And with my system 12, I9 cores and 3 1080ti graphics cards, rarely a render is under 2 hours, but I make complex scenes.

This image took over 2 hours in Iray.

That is an actual particle field.

Heaven's Gate small with logo.jpg
    2000 x 1125 - 2M
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Axelx10 said:

The main problem with Iray is that for most of us who were doing fine rendering in 3DL with our simple PCs and laptops now have to purchase new computers with software powerful enough to run the Space Station in order to use it and keep up with the new content coming out.

Or you can step up the game with 3Delight and start using scripted rendering with the built in pathtracer (shaders and scripts are free). Much faster than IRay if we are talking CPU rendering.

As a dedicated 3DL user I have to say that using IRay materials with 3DL is...uhm...well let´s say less than optimal.

RexRed said:

Yes 3delight looks lack luster,  My PC cost me $5000 and that is on the low end for ray tracing.

I'm quite sure Pixar would disagree:)

RexRed said:

Perhaps compare more Iray items with 3delight before making a final decision.

And with my system 12, I9 cores and 3 1080ti graphics cards, rarely a render is under 2 hours, but I make complex scenes.

This image took over 2 hours in Iray.

That is an actual particle field.

Nice one! My pathtraced 3DL renders take everything from 10 min to 24 h, but they are still more than 4 times faster than trying to use IRay on the Mac.

• Bluefox25Bluefox25 Posts: 21
    edited October 2020

Listen, not everybody wants to use Iray. If people don't like it, having people show up here and tell them they need to buy all this stuff to render won't help. Of course people could buy x, y and z. But not everyone has the money for a ridiculous gaming PC (even though there are cheaper towers with great specs nowadays). And also, some people with money do not buy those because they have other hobbies or real life stuff. DAZ can be expensive enough (if you don't freeload all your items). And no, don't come and say people should just build their own items to save money. Everyone cannot.

My point is this. Making items Iray only might cost artists sales. I'm sure they can each do their own analysis of interest and make their own decision. I'm speaking for myself at least. There have been dozens of times, maybe a hundred or close to two that I had to stop purchases. Things that were ready to be bought, not just browsed. I hope a lot of people who don't offer them will consider adding DAZ textures to at least some extent. If the day ever comes when a new generation is Iray only, I and others will skip that entire line and maybe all lines that also do so indefinitely. There will always be a ton to buy for Gens 3, 8 and below so nobody would totally quit DAZ over it.

I just consider this interesting info for marketing or product development purposes for creators. 

To actually help the OP instead of criticisizing them, know you can modify non character items like buildings and clothing by going into the material drop down and changing the texture from glossy or metallic to something like matte or maybe skin. I'm not sure if matte is the proper term for non glossy in the texture screen but the exact wording escapes me. Just change it from glossy or metallic. You can kind of do it with people, but the eyes will be messed up and sometimes DAZ textured eyes show up solidly black or white in that situation.

Post edited by Bluefox25 on
  • RexRedRexRed Posts: 1,296
    edited October 2020

Bluefox, I am not sure the problem is always people not being able to afford things... More often it is a matter of priorities.

Some people come on here and complain that they have to buy an expensive computer and they forget about the pleasure trip they made last fall to Vegas...

Or they forget about the hobby Jeep sitting in the garage that has consumed every cent they have made on the side.

Or, expensive habits with their money literally going up in smoke...

There is an old saying, where there is a will there is a way. I am not rich, I have put myself deeply in debt on my credit cards.

But this was my "priority", a blazing fast computer and a couple thousand dollars worth of Daz models.

Instead of going on a pleasure trip, owning a money pit collectors' automobile and going out to bars three times a week, I sacrificed all of that to have a nice content creation rig.

I live on a fixed income and I took everything I had and put it were it counts.

When people have the money in hand, suddenly everything else is more important.

Sure feeding a family is definitely more important but then there are the "other things" that most people don't admit to indulging in.

That... is where their computer and models went.

That is probably the real reason why, "Iray sucks".

Post edited by RexRed on