Can Iray Decal Node do Base Color only?

Hi All,

I'd like to 'paint' on a textured wall. Could be graffiti on a brick wall, a painted logo on a stucco wall, whatever. I know I can use an Iray Decal Node to project an image but, so far as I can tell, it also projects its own Bump and/or Normal map onto the affected area. What I'd like to do is project ONLY a Base Color, leaving the underlying Bump and/or Normal maps in effect ... as if I were painting on the wall.

Is that possible with an Iray Decal Node?

Thanks, Crissie

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,961

I don’t think so, but maybe consider using the diffuse overlay, instead?

Set diffuse overlay to the color you want, and then ‘paint’ the image as the diffuse overlay weight (ie: mask).

• CrissieBCrissieB Posts: 195

Hi Oso,

The problem is texel density. It's a detailed logo-mural, with lettering, etc. I tried including the logo-mural when I did the wall with Substance Painter and -- even with 4k maps for that material -- the logo-mural was visibly pixelated. I think I'd hit the same texel density problem using the LIE or a Diffuse Overlay map.

The Iray Decal Node gives a nice, crisp logo-mural image and I masked it so the surrounding wall shows fine. But the Bump/Normal of the logo-mural doesn't match the wall.

Crissie

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,961

Then maybe use LIE to scale and move the mask.

(I don’t otherwise think there is a way to do what you want)

Thanks, Oso!

I'll try an LIE and see if it comes out as pixelated as it did when embedded in the texture map.

Crissie

Hi Oso,

Alas, as expected, the LIE had the same problem as when I embedded the logo-mural in the basic texture. Not enough pixel density for a clear logo-mural, even with a 4k texture. Ah well....

Crissie

edited January 2018

Well, part of the problem was simply that DAZ's default preview mode is much more pixelated than Iray mode. Even so, I had to go to an 8k texture for that room's walls, in order to get the logo-mural image clear.

UPDATE: I was able to make it work on a 4k texture map by scaling up that wall on the UV map. That works for a texture like stucco, but it wouldn't for a brick or wood texture, where mortar lines or grains need to be the same size.

Post edited by CrissieB on
  • lilweeplilweep Posts: 2,390

by the way, i realise this is an old thread, but i did base colour only on an iray decay node by making it refractive and putting the color in either glossy or top coat color (uber shader)