How to become a PA?

Hi there,

This year I'm interested in becoming a 3D content creator as well as an artist. I know there are sites to give content away for free (ShareCG, etc), but it seems they often have so many submissions that things easily get lost. So, I'd like to submit some of my creations to Daz, but the guidelines in the FAQ aren't very detailed -- it basically just says to email Daz with some promo images (though it doesn't give the recommended dimensions for them) and a description of the item(s).

I'm looking to get some advice on how to maximise my chances of my work being approved. I'd very much like to share my work with the community, and the prospect of getting some income from it isn't a major concern, so I'd be perfectly happy to have something I've done show up as a freebie or PC+ item.

• What should I be aiming for in promo images?
  • What kind of content is most likely to be approved?
  • Is there a certain way to set up content for sale on Daz, or is that handled by Daz themselves?

I'm sure there are many other things to talk about here but those questions are what immediately came to mind. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Regards,

--A

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,033

Did you check that page? https://www.daz3d.com/community/community-publishing

The pics you send them should give them a clear view of your product, what is included in the pack, and show off how awesome it is so that they want to sell it. There are guidelines for the promo pics at the bottom of the page, so that will give you an idea.

You need to do the packaging yourself as for example the main item will have references to the textures, so they need to remain in the same (relative) place on your computer and in the target product.

• AethyrAethyr Posts: 91

Thanks Leana, I must have missed that page. Definitely some useful information there :)

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

Thanks, SY and Leana!

• Thanks, SY / SickleYield , yesterday i applied DAZ PA, hope my application approved :)

• crosswindcrosswind Posts: 4,780

iamarief said:

Thanks, SY / SickleYield , yesterday i applied DAZ PA, hope my application approved :)

I like what you made. Good luck ! yes

• When I tried to apply, they seemed to want applicants to have several finished products ready to go, and their feedback to me was that mine were too unfinished.   Considering what I mostly wanted to sell was hairstyles, and to finish a hairstyle i would need to already be a vendor to get access to vendor tools, it became a bit kafka-esque. 

I don't know exactly how many finished products they expect PAs to have when they apply, but it may be in realm of two to four finished products these days (at least that is what I have heard). So perhaps you can expect that kind of feedback, or perhaps not, since it doesnt seem to be sign-posted anywhere, and maybe they just make it up on a case by case basis, depening how attractive you are to them as a PA.

I think this approach of needing more than 1 product to start with can make potential vendors lose momentum if they need invest so much time upfront without any feedback/sales.

• When I started, they required me to have two products done and ready so they could set up my store.
  • UncannyValet said:

When I tried to apply, they seemed to want applicants to have several finished products ready to go, and their feedback to me was that mine were too unfinished.   Considering what I mostly wanted to sell was hairstyles, and to finish a hairstyle i would need to already be a vendor to get access to vendor tools, it became a bit kafka-esque. 

If it is strand-based hair you can finish it as a model, you just can't simulate it.

I don't know exactly how many finished products they expect PAs to have when they apply, but it may be in realm of two to four finished products these days (at least that is what I have heard). So perhaps you can expect that kind of feedback, or perhaps not, since it doesnt seem to be sign-posted anywhere, and maybe they just make it up on a case by case basis, depening how attractive you are to them as a PA.

I think this approach of needing more than 1 product to start with can make potential vendors lose momentum if they need invest so much time upfront without any feedback/sales.

• UncannyValetUncannyValet Posts: 144
    edited December 2023

While that is half true, user-made strand-based hair has the following limitations (as of writing this):

• the format they are necessarily saved in is not exactly ideal and involves many workarounds.  E.g., if you have multiple separate grooms for a hairstyle, there is no way to combine them.
    • user-made SBH need to remain unparented from the figure they are attached to, which is not user-friendly since users do not expect this behaviour and will want to parent them
    • the SBH we make will not scale appropriately with figure size.  There is no way to scale length other than changing the scale of the thing the hair is parented to.  This is related to the issue above, which is the SBH needs to remain unparented from the character. Of course, the hair will still fit the figure as scale changes, but due to length staying the same, the hair may end up too long for small characters or too short for large characters.
    • it's not possible to make fit/corrective/adjustment morphs for SBH.  We can of course morph the haircap, but that's not really sufficient for most cases.

I wouldnt call a product truly finished if it still has those limitations. 

Post edited by UncannyValet on