Poser Sale

2»

Comments

• namretteknamrettek Posts: 168
    edited December 1969

I have a PC with an I7-2600 and 16 gigs of RAM (though I don't really think RAM makes a big difference in render times).

My Render settings were on automatic - final. No IDL but I did use SSS. I believe only one light was raytraced and the others were depth map shadows (I can't check cause I am working on another scene and rendering in the BG - very cool feature).

It's really tough to compare render times because there are so many variables. Different materials in content can be set up very differently causing much longer render times. I'm not expecting every render to go that fast.

I've had DS renders go this fast (and even faster) with ray tracing even several lights with ray tracing. But the SSS went really fast and looked nearly photographic. That's what surprised me. For me to get photgraphic looking skin in DS I almost always have to use reality.

I can get Carrara renders that look realy realistic in a couple of minutes - sometimes in seconds but when you build a whole scene the times can shoot up there - especially with clouds and thousands of plants and final render settings.

This render took under 15 minutes at 1720X1920 - It was just a test while I ate lunch. But the render with IDL is going now and after 20 minutes it's not even part way done with the first of three render passes.

UlrichCityAntDaz.jpg
    717 x 800 - 574K
  • KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited June 2012

Well - more RAM is better because Windows doesn't have to begin swapping to harddrive.
    The render looks good!
    (But what happened to Vickies right shoulder - shouldn't it show at the left side of the picture (left from my point of view)?

Edited to add my most used render settings by Alfaseed (formerly Aerysoul):
    http://alfaseed.deviantart.com/art/Poser-rendering-settings-271955309

Post edited by Kerya on
    edited December 1969

Kerya said:
    Well - more RAM is better because Windows doesn't have to begin swapping to harddrive.
    The render looks good!
    (But what happened to Vickies right shoulder - shouldn't it show at the left side of the picture (left from my point of view)?

Edited to add my most used render settings by Alfaseed (formerly Aerysoul):
    http://alfaseed.deviantart.com/art/Poser-rendering-settings-271955309

That's not Vicky! It's Antonia a freebie from RuntimeDNA.

A tiny portion of her shoulder is visible. I meant to leave it out completely. She has her body turned to the side as if hiding behind the man with the gun.

It was just a test of render times and SSS.

I did another render with IDL. It took over 7 hours... Looks like hair as always is hard on render times.

I don't think it's worth the time - 15 minutes vs 7 hours - At least not for just playing around.

Anyone got the IDL light studio - is that faster?

UlrichCityAnt_IDLDaz.jpg
    717 x 800 - 387K
  • GonfalonGonfalon Posts: 0
    edited July 2012

namrettek said:

I did another render with IDL. It took over 7 hours... Looks like hair as always is hard on render times.

I don't think it's worth the time - 15 minutes vs 7 hours - At least not for just playing around.

When using IDL select the hair, go to the properties panel and deselect Light Emitter. You can also do this with anything else with transparencies.

Beautiful render with Antonia, by the way!

It looks like you may have Gamma Correction turned on in the render settings for the second image but the textures are not set up to use GC in the render settings. If you use the Scene Fixer python script you can tick off Apply correct gamma to textures and that should automatically fix your textures.

You will find SceneFixer here: http://snarlygribbly.org/3d/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13

Post edited by Gonfalon on
    edited December 1969

Gonfalon said:
    namrettek said:

When using IDL select the hair, go to the properties panel and deselect Light Emitter. You can also do this with anything else with transparencies.

Beautiful render with Antonia, by the way!

It looks like you may have Gamma Correction turned on in the render settings for the second image but the textures are not set up to use GC in the render settings. If you use the Scene Fixer python script you can tick off Apply correct gamma to textures and that should automatically fix your textures.

You will find SceneFixer here: http://snarlygribbly.org/3d/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to try that out when I get back home. Just got a motor home and I couldn't take my desktop with me.