dForce behavioral issues

In testing with the new dForce I've found that in most cases, starting a simulation on cloth, dForce will crash with variations on errors:

2017-11-20 12:28:44.718 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(30): Open CL notify: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_NDRANGE_KERNEL on GeForce GTX 1070 (Device 0).
2017-11-20 12:26:41.234 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(1803): ERROR: clCreateCommandQueue (-5)
2017-11-19 20:01:04.311 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(2171): ERROR: Memory Object Allocation Failure (-4)

This leads to DAZ running as if it were still under load, with mouse lag and UI lag on mouse-over or click until it is restarted... or inevitably crashes and brings down the graphics driver with it. I have no problems running the Iray engine on the same card. If you need a crash report, I can recreate the problem on demand.

Any help would be vastly appreciated.

Specs/details:

CPU: Intel i7-6700k running with no overclock
GPU: nVidia GTX 1070 with 8 GB of vRAM, running nVidia driver 388.31 released 11/15/17. No overclock settings are applied during the dForce simulations.

Comments

• What is your OpenCL engine - Simulation Settings pane Advanced tab?

• Set to the nVidia 1070 card.

simulation panel.png
    514 x 234 - 10K
  • Are you using non-dForce compliant items? Have ytou had success with the items from dForce Starter Essentials?

• The Bardot outfit simulates pretty well, but just about anything in the G1 to G3 range of clothing with the dForce modifier applied crashes, save for one or two items.

simmed bardot.png
    698 x 413 - 117K
  • Getting older content to work can be tricky, depending on how it is made. A good starting point is to makes sure that the figue fites inside the dress, memorise that as a starting point, and then apply your pose (or use an animated drape starting from the figure fitting inside the dress).

• OK. I loaded G2F, and the Xskirt dress, which was designed for G2F. Upon simulation start, it errored out:

Logs state this:
    2017-11-22 21:57:53.023 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(2282): ERROR: clFinish (-36)
    2017-11-22 21:57:53.807 Total Simulation Time: 4.48 seconds

This triggered Daz to hang as if it were still attempting to simulate, and upon closing, logged two graphics driver crashes: Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Upon attempting again with the Alma dress, also designed for G2F, it simply turned into a wad of geometry with an incredibly long simulation time.

Both of these are dresses I have had no fit problems with in the past.

• So they worked with an older version of dForce? Or just using regular fitting?

• Normal fitting.

• The Alma dress drapes if I wxclude the belt - of course you'd want to be a bit more subtle than just setting the belt Visible To Simulation off, and the other settings need tweaking, but it is suable with tweaking. (However, it was soemthing of a miracle that it stayed up as the right arm was lowered - the top trim area definitely needs some attention to do this for real.)

The XDress looks as if the strap probably self-intersects where it crosses at the throat, excluding it from the simulation allowed the process to complete (though again, the settings will need a lot of adjustement from the default, and there was definitely soem aardrobe malfunction going on). Itried using a dForm with a weight map to pull the front strap forward at the crossing and the simulation did then run with the strap included, but it errored at the very end: I don't know if a better dForm would ahve avoided that, but at least it didn't explode or throw spikes.

• OK. I pulled the belt out of the simulation completely on the Alma dress and it did simulate, so that's a step.

For the XSkirt dress, I tried turning off the self-collision parameter to try to clean up the self collision as it's worked in the past, only to get another instance of:
    2017-11-24 09:04:57.480 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(2282): ERROR: clFinish (-36)
    2017-11-24 09:04:57.553 Total Simulation Time: 3.27 seconds

Any attempts after behave as if the card no longer had memory to allocate to simulation.

2017-11-24 09:06:49.115 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(30): Open CL notify: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_MAP_BUFFER on GeForce GTX 1070 (Device 0).

2017-11-24 09:06:49.115 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(1803): ERROR: clEnqueueMapBuffer (-4)
    2017-11-24 09:06:49.118 Total Simulation Time: 0.27 seconds
    2017-11-24 09:06:57.319 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzopenclkernelfactory.cpp(30): Open CL notify: CL_MEM_OBJECT_ALLOCATION_FAILURE error executing CL_COMMAND_MAP_BUFFER on GeForce GTX 1070 (Device 0).

2017-11-24 09:06:57.319 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(1803): ERROR: clEnqueueMapBuffer (-4)
    2017-11-24 09:06:57.322 Total Simulation Time: 0.26 seconds

• I generally restart DS after any dForce error, just to be safe.

• And a restart does often clear it up, even if it does take the graphics driver with it.

• Set your Collision Layers as well. Items you don't want dForce applied to should be Layer 1, then whatever will be affected starts at Layer 2.

I don't have the item in question, but for the Time For School skirt, which has the main skirt, belt straps, and buttons, I set the straps and buttons to Layer 1, with Dynamics at 0. The Skirt and Hems are Layer 2, with Self-Collision Off. This prevents the skirt from exploding.

With the Sun Dress, which has separate material zones for the top and bottom half, as well as a belt, the belt, again, gets 0 Dynamics and Layer 1, while the top and bottom halves get Layer 2 and Layer 3.

Since I've been working with applying dForce to hair lately, the layering thing has become even more prominent in getting it to work, especially since the hairs are layered to begin with - skullcap, base, middle, top, bangs - if I leave all of these on the same layer, they explode. If I simply start assigning them to separate Layers, and change nothing else, they behave. Skullcap gets Layer 1, and whichever is closest to that gets Layer 2, and so on (it varies by the hair - sometimes it's the bangs, other times it's the base).

• Also set your Collision Depth for each layer. The default is 0.2, and I have good results setting each layer 0.2 above the previous (0.2, 0.4, 0.6, etc)

• OK!

Giving that a shot with the XSkirt dress caused another crash in dForce, even with the belt set on a separate layer and the simulation turned off completely for the metal trinkets on the hip. I also tried it with the NeoIndia sari and the Southern Summer dress for G2F.

I haven't got one of my dresses to play nice with that method yet, but it's shown progress---even if said progress is about two or three steps into the sim before it hangs/crashes.

2017-11-28 19:20:19.788 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(415): Using device: GeForce GTX 1070
    2017-11-28 19:20:25.346 WARNING: ..\..\..\src\dzdynamicsengine.cpp(2282): ERROR: clFinish (-36)
    2017-11-28 19:20:26.932 Total Simulation Time: 7.14 seconds

CPU shows 90%-100% load until the graphics driver crashes after a Daz Studio shutdown.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Set your Collision Layers as well. Items you don't want dForce applied to should be Layer 1, then whatever will be affected starts at Layer 2.

I don't have the item in question, but for the Time For School skirt, which has the main skirt, belt straps, and buttons, I set the straps and buttons to Layer 1, with Dynamics at 0. The Skirt and Hems are Layer 2, with Self-Collision Off. This prevents the skirt from exploding.

With the Sun Dress, which has separate material zones for the top and bottom half, as well as a belt, the belt, again, gets 0 Dynamics and Layer 1, while the top and bottom halves get Layer 2 and Layer 3.

Since I've been working with applying dForce to hair lately, the layering thing has become even more prominent in getting it to work, especially since the hairs are layered to begin with - skullcap, base, middle, top, bangs - if I leave all of these on the same layer, they explode. If I simply start assigning them to separate Layers, and change nothing else, they behave. Skullcap gets Layer 1, and whichever is closest to that gets Layer 2, and so on (it varies by the hair - sometimes it's the bangs, other times it's the base).

Where would I find the controls for the collision layers? Is that in Simulation Settings?

• Odaa said:

Set your Collision Layers as well. Items you don't want dForce applied to should be Layer 1, then whatever will be affected starts at Layer 2.

Where would I find the controls for the collision layers? Is that in Simulation Settings?

Surface settings.

• OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Cool, thank you!

• If it's still crashing, try rolling back to the 387.92 Nvidia drivers. 388 gave me crashes as well on my 1080TI and Titan X (Pascal). 387.92 works fine. Items explode without crashing the entire program, and I can at least cancel the sim before it gets out of hand. Some very few items/specific settings will still insta-crash, but these are older items with too much going on.

• edited December 2017

Post edited by jgerboth_bbe6196385 on
  • fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

@jgerboth_bbe6196385 "It seems that this is really not a very good feature. We are rolling back drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling, and rebooting. We are not creating and rendering"

dForce is a brand new feature. It will take a while for people to understand how to use it. Remember also that in the forum we generally don't here from the people that are using a product or feature successfully since they are busy "creating and rendering".

• CVRADCVRAD Posts: 6

mine is crashing also very frustrating i prefer the old dynamic clothing you coild stop the sim and and continue from there for more control.