Genesis 8 eye lashes do not follow face morph (updated/solved)

AbnormalPixelsAbnormalPixels Posts: 37

update/solved below

I finally got this to work. If you complete steps 1-10 it works but for some reason Daz Studio does not update/refresh what you have done and gives you the impression there is an issue. The revised steps:

1. Load Genesis 8 model
2. delete everything in scene including eye lashes. (will not import into 3ds Max correctly if you keep the eyelashes. I even tried settting the Genesis 8 and the eyelashes each to base resolution and the model is a mess).
3. set Genesis 8 to base resolution.
4. export to .obj file
5. import into modeling program (3ds max).
6. make modifications while keeping vertex order.
7. export model to daz (.obj)
8. open DAZ in empty scene, load genesis 8 model
9. using either of the morph loaders in DAZ apply morph
10. using new morph slider in parameters, verify morph works.

11. go to the "parameter settings" (i usually right click on the sprocket of the morph slider) and set the model to "auto follow". you can also go into the parameters of the model and set it there.

12. "save" the scene

13. "open"/reload the scene and daz updates the eyelashes to follow genesis 8.

this process works for any morph. if the morph is severe where I need to move the bones, then I will add the"adjust rigging to shape". if I like the morph and want to tie it all together a little better, i add the ERC freeze step. I usually only do this when the model is "finished" and I want to change it from a morph to a dialable parameter.

Post edited by AbnormalPixels on

Comments

• Do other fitted items follow, just not the lashes? Is the moprh set to AutoFollow - click the gear icon on its slider and select Parameter Settings to check?

• when I apply clothes and hair (even Genesis 3) everything seems to be reasonable and "redirect" in the default settings of "fit mode".

I tried setting the eyelashes to "autofollow" instead of "redirect" and they don't move.

After adjusting the face rig of Genesis 8 to the new shape, I tried to "transfer rigging" from Genesis 8 to the eyelashes. The rigging transfers accurately but does not move the geometry/eyelashes.

I am just curious what the other content creators for Genesis 8 do/did to get theirs to work.

• I have also tried the following:

delete eyelashes

insert eyelashes from Content Library tab \ Genesis 8 \ Anatomy \ Genesis 8 Eyelashes

when they are applied and "fit to Genesis 8" as well as "parent to target" you see the eyelashes bones/rigging adjust to the Genesis 8 but the geometry of the eyelashes does not move.

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

Have you saved your imported morph as a morph asset? Save the morph then save and reopen the scene. Often this solves the failure to autofollow issue. 

• thanks but that did not work either:

1. saved my morph as a morph asset.

2. opened new empty scene.

3. loaded new genesis 8.

4. went to Shaping Tab  \actor\head\ and found the morph

5. dialed it to 100.

Result: genesis 8 head morph with ERC frozen bones works but the eyelashes did not move. they are not responding to the new bone positions of genesis 8.

there has to be some simple step i am missing.

• AbnormalPixelsAbnormalPixels Posts: 37
    edited October 2017

this should work but the error is when I transfer the rigging from Genesis 8 to the eyelashes:

1. load new Genesis 8 into empty scene - ok

2. use morph loader advanced to apply morph from external program (3ds Max) - ok

3. dial in morph at 100% - ok

4. adjust rigging to shape - ok

5. transfer rigging (figure space) from Genesis 8 to Genesis 8 Eyelashes

result:  the eyelash rigging moves into the correct position but the geometry/lashes donot move into the correct location (see attached)

(the eye squinter bones are off but I have found they are not used on the eye lashes model)

rigging.jpg
    743 x 788 - 299K
  • RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

There should be no need to transfer the rigging to the eyelashes. Just allow autofollow to do the job. I wonder if that might be the problem. 

• I was asking if the new eyelash morph on the base figure has AutoFollow checked, and if other items fitted to the figure and in proximity to the morphed areas are chnaging to match (if it's only the lashes that aren't changing shape)..

• Thanks Redz and Richard Haseltine for staying and helping! i tried setting the lashes to autofollow but they did not move.

Only the eyelashes are not changing. Do I have to create a morph for the eyelash as well?

To clarify, I created the morph for the Genesis 8 face but did not do one for the eyelashes. I was under the impression the bones of the eyelashes would move/autofollow the positions of the Genesis 8 model.

Do I have to create a morph for the eyelashes?

• Yes, the shape and bones of the eyelashes should follow the shape and bones of the base figure - I'm a little confused by your posts, is it the shape not transferring or only the bones?

edited October 2017

shape is not transfering, only the bones.

The only "autofollow" I have been setting is "fit" mode autofollow at the parameter tab \ general \ misc

When I created the morph of Genesis 8 I did not create a morph of the eyelashes as it is a separate object. I thought once I adjusted the rigging of Genesis 8 bones, the eyelash rigging would follow and move the eyelash object/faces into place.

do i I have to create a morph for the eyelashes?

• Redz was correct...but there are more than one autofollow(s).

I was trying to tell the eyelashes to "autofollow" genesis 8. the only one that jumped out at me was the fit to mode autofollow.

Instead I needed to tell Genesis 8 morph to have everything "auto follow" it.

The fix is (in edit mode) right click on the morph you created and there it is....autofollow.

thanks again to everyone for helping with a noob mistake. attached is the correct eyelashes.

rigged.jpg
    614 x 766 - 258K
  • Hope someone read this.

Have similar problem, transfering from g3 to g8 thorugh exporting to obj and transfering morph trhough "transfer utility" dial it and then adjust rig to shape. Bones look right on Genesis 8. Putting the morph and lashes to "autofollow" but lashes geometry won't move. Checked Lashes bones and they are on the right spot, it's just the eyelash itself who doesn't asjut to figure shape.

• DogzDogz Posts: 898
    edited April 2019

Ok forgive the Zombie thread revival, but did anyone find a solution? 

I think I just had this problem too, Eyelashes shrinking when a face/head morph is dialed in? (at least that thats the search that lead me to this thread)

While I dont have a solution, I have noticed what the issue is:

By default the following Eyelash Morphs are

PHMEyelashesCurl: 100%

PHMEyelashesLengthLower: 100%

PHMEyelashesLengthUpper: 100%

But after dialing up my face morph, All three of those^ are dialling back to -100%

It would seem that somehow our face morphs are causing those values to go in to Negative / Minimum values.

I can manually set them all back to +100% after dialing in my morph, and all is well, but obviously thats just a work around, not a fix.

Guess I'll email PA support and see what they say about it. If i find a solution Ill post it here.

Post edited by Dogz on
  • Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited April 2019

I've heared the support team are bussy people. You could try Clear Selected Deltas from Favourites its a well hidden function that needs some preparation but it can help with those issues you descriped.

But wait - first I thought you where talking about Genesis 3 but by the morph names I see you are working with a genesis 8 figure. Since on G8 figures the eyelashes are seperate conforming items the morph shape does not include the eye lashes. Maybe you issue is more of an "autofollow" issue like descriped above.

Just in case I post what I was about to suggest anyway so here is the informations I can give.

This method descriped below I first saw in this video Cleaning Up Morphing Mistakes by Xenic101 that I post literally everytime this question comes up. Be careful with this and use it wisely there is no undo. Maybe thats the point why it is not that easy to find.

[Quote]:  How do I reset the eyes and mouth of a morph I'm making?

The command is called Clear Selected Deltas from Favourits and can be found in the Geometry Editor Tool if its switched to Vertex Edit mode (instead of default Face Edit mode).

The right-click menu looks different in Vertex Edit mode. I once had trouble to find this command see here: Clear Selected Deltas from Favourites - can't find this function anymore in the new DS version

As you already mentioned you would have to move the parts back into place, maybe you could use a DFormer with Weight Map influence for that.

Here is a short instruction for how to use Clear Selected Deltas From Favorites:

1. have the dog figure selected and then go to the Parameters pane find your morph(s) and add them to "Favourits" by clicking the heart icon on the slider

2. switch to the Geometry Editor Tool - open the Tool Settings pane

3. add the Surfaces like eyes, gum and teeth to the 'geometry selection' with the plus icons behind the Surface Group list in the Tool Settings pane

4. right-click the viewport and choose Geometry Selection > Convert Selection > Convert to Vertex Selection

(the Geometry Editor in the Tool Settings pane now changes to Vertex Edit mode and shows the selected vertex dots)

5. right-click the viewport again and choose Clear Selected Deltas from Favourits (if you don't save those Morph Assets but the scene file now the morphs only exist in the scene file)

Here is a Tutorial video that descripes this method pretty well.

Cleaning Up Morphing Mistakes by Xenic101

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on
  • Okay, this problem is not being solved. The tutorial, cleaning up morphing mistakes by xenic 101, is for DAZ 9, not 12; the tool bars and other interfaes are are different. Even the tutorials that come with 12 are created with the Beta version, which looks different. Genisis 8 Female appears to come with eyelashes but they are very dim. Sliders do little to change them. When I add Skin Builder 8 and do a bunch of work with it, I get an error message when I try to alter the eyelashes "No eyelashes loaded". When I save my character, the lip color, blush, eyliner, nail polish,and genital hair all disappear. Eyebrows, freckles, nipple changes, and some other features save just fine. WTF? I can't find a tutorial that decribes how to save the additions from Skin Builder in sufficient detal to understand it (great descriptions of how to use the tools which are already pretty obvious and easy to figure out. Not so with saving the results!!!). Apparently one can't start with Genisis 8 and build everything on it with what appear to be obvious add ones. Even when I add hair, I have to save my character in scene, not as a figure.

I'm new to 3D programs but I've been working with Corel and even some with Photoshop, and some others. They all save so very easily in a named file in My Documents and can be brought back in at any time with a simple click.

DAZ 3D has serious problems with interfacing with new users. Most of the people who answere questions have started out with more basic versions of DAZ and learned with simpler version. The people who are happy with this program are apparently loading characters that someone else has created and they just change the poses and a few other things that work. 

DAZ employees, get some decent tutorials up that deal with the less obvious aspects of your program that can't easily be figured out by a teeniebopper.

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

@budrudesill ,hi , if you want to save everything , for later use try saving as a scene subset , to find the eyelashes you need to go to the scene tap and expand the G8 figure then click on the eyelashs ,you can also go to the shaping tab and find the "eye" section and in that (depending on what morphs you have )you should find Lash Length morphs.To save out the skin Builder materials , I think asking in one of the "Skin Builder"commercial threads would get you some help quicker ...

• Saving as a scene has, as I said, I can save head hair if I save my character to scene instead of character. Other aspects of Skin Builder don't save there. I'm in the process of saving in multiple places in the hopes that one or more of them can be used to recreate a character that I shoulld be able to bring back up with a single click of one saved file.

I have figured out that if I add eyelashes in Genesis 8 I can then build on them in SB.

A beginner shouldn't have to go to commercial threads to learn what should be very basic. If there isn't a tutorial that explains how to save everything, the product isn't worth much.

• I've been saving changes made with skin builder 8 in stages and so far everything appears to be taking. I don't know why when I changed all the parameters (twice) and saved to scene they didn't apply when I reaopened my scene.

Next step is to try to pose my character (scene) and see if all the parameters stick with the reposed parent. Thank you for encouraging me to try scene subset again.

• Hallelulia! After 5 days I have my first character and in one pose besides basic! I'd post her but she's nude. Hey, I'm an artist. We learn to draw nudes first and then move on from there. Nude art is hanging in the world's most promient galleries, which are family friendly. I'm sorry sites like this don't think the human body is family friendly, but I'll abide by the rules here as best I can. Ah, but I'm off subject. My bad.

• Celebrated too soon. I can't upload one of the files I made, change the pose or lighting, and then save it to the same and not even to a new file. The changed don't show. I'm also having problems with saving the lights and camera. No program should be this difficult to save files after spending hours creating them. 

• carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,975

when I'm working on a setup like you are I save as a "Scene subset" and each time I change stuff I add a letter to what ever I have named my Scene subset ,that way when something goes wonky Ican go back to a good scene,

• I'll try that. Thanks. Still seems like DAZ has some bugs in it when it comes to saving work done. Apparently the programmers know things about how to save that they aren't sharing on their tutorials or in the manual. 

edited February 2020

I finally got this to work. If you complete steps 1-10 it works but for some reason Daz Studio does not update/refresh what you have done and gives you the impression there is an issue. The revised steps:

1. Load Genesis 8 model
    2. delete everything in scene including eye lashes. (will not import into 3ds Max correctly if you keep the eyelashes. I even tried settting the Genesis 8 and the eyelashes each to base resolution and the model is a mess).
    4. export to .obj file

11. go to the "parameter settings" (i usually right click on the sprocket of the morph slider) and set the model to "auto follow". you can also go into the parameters of the model and set it there.

12. "save" the scene

this process works for any morph. if the morph is severe where I need to move the bones, then I will add the"adjust rigging to shape". if I like the morph and want to tie it all together a little better, i add the ERC freeze step. I usually only do this when the model is "finished" and I want to change it from a morph to a dialable parameter.

• AbnormalPixels said:

1. Load Genesis 8 model
    4. export to .obj file

12. "save" the scene

I've tried this but it does not work for me on a base figure morph - the lashes and tears are not following at all. 

• DrowElfMorwenDrowElfMorwen Posts: 536
    edited September 2023

tmtmtm_f56c8d4bda said:

I've tried this but it does not work for me on a base figure morph - the lashes and tears are not following at all. 

Whoa, that is way, way too much work to do for something that should just WORK. Yikes.

LUCKILY in my own case I figured out that a morph *I* made, was not set to autofollow.. I guess. It's hard to tell with that icon if it's "on" or "off". So in Edit Mode I hit the opposite, undid the Fit To for the eyelashes, then did fit to again and it worked.

Post edited by DrowElfMorwen on