Is there a symmetry option for the D-Former thingy?

GuruvarGuruvar Posts: 344
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Hello,

Is there a way to apply symmetry to a D-Former after you create it? I have one side of my model deformed appropriately, and it would be a freakin shame if I couldn't copy-and-flip the same settings over to the other side. I don't see much use in the tool if there wasn't some kind of symmetry option.

Thanks a bunch for any answers.

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

There isn't but you can create more then one deformer for one object and copy and paste the settings from one to the other. Just remember some settings will be opposite some will be negative and some positive values, but yes it is achievable.

• tmtmtm_f56c8d4bdatmtmtm_f56c8d4bda Posts: 84
    edited December 1969

yea, same problem in Poser - for some reason the devs think it's not necessary or something - it would be really nice to simply have a tool "duplicate object..." and in a dialog you would have an option to mirror the duplicate along x, y, or z axis. Seems so simple...

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited September 2014

There is mirror morphtarget ... not exactly mirroring the DForms, but the endeffect of DForms
    http://tofusan.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/download.html

DeltaX15 had a mirror DForm script - unfortunately he isn't active anymore.
    Maybe it is in Patience compilation here:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/76457/view/8/Script/For-a-Request-re-Legacy-morphs-inj-rem-scripts

For Poser magnets:
    http://www.sharecg.com/v/26853/gallery/11/Poser/MirrorMags32-MM32.-Mirror-symmetry-for-magnets!

(Why does all of this makes me think
    Mirror, mirror on the wall ...
    ????
    *grin*)

Post edited by Kerya on
  • IngolfMatysIngolfMatys Posts: 2
    edited April 2023

Hi! The tools in the links does not exist anymore or does not work how I like it. So I wrote the attached script. You could try this script which went through the whole scene, compares the left part of the names with 'D-Former_' and if this is the case it negates the values of XPos and YRot. So it should work if you don't have renamed the D-Former and ...Base and ...Field without changing the selected node for all D-Former in the scene.

dsa
    dsa
    Mirror X.dsa
    643B
    Post edited by IngolfMatys on
  • IngolfMatys said:

Hi! The tools in the links does not exist anymore or does not work how I like it. So I wrote the attached script. You could try this script which went through the whole scene, compares the left part of the names with 'D-Former_' and if this is the case it negates the values of XPos and YRot. So it should work if you don't have renamed the D-Former and ...Base and ...Field without changing the selected node for all D-Former in the scene.

Note that this will work with a basic dForm that just uses the Field to cotnrol the effect, but it will not work on a weight-mapped dForm. Also be aware that the script relies on node names, whichj may well chnage - it would be safer to use the node's classname as a check.

• IngolfMatysIngolfMatys Posts: 2
    edited April 2023

Richard Haseltine said:

IngolfMatys said:

Note that this will work with a basic dForm that just uses the Field to cotnrol the effect, but it will not work on a weight-mapped dForm. Also be aware that the script relies on node names, whichj may well chnage - it would be safer to use the node's classname as a check.

Thank you! I never thought at weight-mapped dForm. In this case you really need to export and reimport the mirrored morph.Thank you to be aware of this. The figure needs to be symmetrical to the x-coordinates too. For me it's working good enough till now. I am really only a hobby-user. But feel free to change the script the way you need it. Maybe it'll help some people.

Post edited by IngolfMatys on