How do I center and set pivot points for objects?

I'm new to the joint editor.

So new, I don't even know how to put a tab for it onto my workspace. How do I do that?

Also, what are End Points?

My goal is to set the default position and rotation pivot points for several objects in my scene, such that:

1. When I set the transation parameters for the object to zero, the center of the object corresponds with the center of the scene, and

2. When I rotate the object, it will pivot on that center of the object.

In the joint editor, I have figured out how to do number 2 by adjusting the Center Point.

But adjusting the Center Point apparently has no effect on the object's origen in terms of translation values. Is this where the "End Point" values come into play? I don't know. But when I move the End Point positioning thing, it seems to have no effect on anything.

Comments

• End Point is used for determing the axis for pointing at other things, and to help align the bone of a figure. I'm not clear on what you mean by adjusting the translations - do you want the item itself to load centred? That is determined by the model.

There isn't a dedicated pane for the Joint Editor - it, along with most of the other set-up tools, uses the Tool Settings pane for its options.

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 792

do you want the item itself to load centred?

Thanks Richard. Ya. That's what I wanted.

And so I guess there's no adjusting it in Daz Studio. A work-around is to center the model on the sceene origen and parent the model to a sceene-centered null.

• ^adding a new null to the scene, then using the align tool can 'snap' an object to the centre (assuming that works with nulls - if not, add a plane)

(then exporting and reimporting an obj should give you a new, centred, object - but that might lose materials settings etc).

Are these your own models?  Or Daz models that are loading off-centre?

Setting origin/pivot points is best done in a modeller.

• charlescharles Posts: 810
    edited September 2021

We need a way to center on object center like in Unity.

Post edited by charles on
  • if it's a figure not a prop

open tool settings select the bowtie shapped tool

type in values to move the little arrows to the place you want them or try moving them (harder)

rightclick memorize rigging and save.

if it's a prop

under rigging convert to figure

move it using the bone it creates to 0,0,0

convert back to a prop

• VisuimagVisuimag Posts: 561

Try the script

Run it and set all three options to Center. Click &Move then &Accept and it should work wonders!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18U0qvqmoO_BG-O5obHQIq3yAxpiT70OC/view?usp=sharing