Partial wetness

Render: IRAY

Desire: Make a part of a figure (say, just one hand and part of an arm) look like it's wet while leaving the rest of the figure alone.

I'm aware of products like "Wet Skin Iray" and such, but (to the best of my knowledge) they don't allow you to finely tune what "gets wet" and what doesn't.  It seems like it should be possible to use one of the tools (Geometry Editor?) to section off a part of the figure as a new surface, and then to alter the properties of that surface to make it look wet.

1. What approach would The Great DAZ Community suggest with regard to getting the surface set up?

2. Assuming that I'm starting with a surface that's set up for skin, what changes would I make to the surface settings to create a wet-looking effect.  (I get lost in about 3 seconds among all the surface settings - no idea what many of them do or mean.)

3. Is this something that would be better attacked with a geoshell?  In other words, create the appropriate shell/surface and alter its properties rather than the properties of the figure's skin?

Pointers to tutorials "out on the web" would be fine - possibly I haven't been searching correctly.

Comments

• InkuboInkubo Posts: 744

Yes, I think a geoshell is probably the answer. Add the shell, go through the list of On/Off switches and turn off the parts you don't want any wetness to show up on, then work on your textures, maps, etc, to make the wetness show up in the proper locations of the shell parts that remain.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,967

I beleiev some of the 'wet' products use geo shelss so as a coarse first cut just make teh non-wet poritoins of the geoshell not visble.  Fine tuning could be done with either tiling (to a degree) and/or opacity maps to make a cleaner edge

• rames44rames44 Posts: 329

In partial answer to my own question, better searching turned up this: http://thinkdrawart.com/how-to-get-wet-skin-in-iray

Don't know why I didn't find this before...

• MortzeMortze Posts: 184

I usually work those details in Photoshop. Render once with dry skin, a sexond time with wet skin, and in Photoshop put the 2 pictures together (dry on top of wet) and erase on the top picture the part that is supposed to be wet.

• Mortze said:

I usually work those details in Photoshop. Render once with dry skin, a sexond time with wet skin, and in Photoshop put the 2 pictures together (dry on top of wet) and erase on the top picture the part that is supposed to be wet.

so smart of you! i can't wait to try your option