Install Manager and Locating Installed Products

CrizzushCrizzush Posts: 21
edited December 1969 in Technical Help (nuts n bolts)

Since I was installing Daz 4.5 on my laptop for the first time, I decided to use the new Install Manager.
I do like how quickly it installs the products I have purchased but for some reason, some products are not easily found when in Daz.

For example, I installed Addition HairStyles.

It does not show under any folder in Daz Studio formats or Poser formats. Yet, I am able to locate the product under the Products A-Z portion of the Content Library.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a way to fix this?
I have over 500 downloads to install and may not proceed if I can't work around this.

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

If you can find it in Products, then right-click on one of the icons, and select Show in Mapped Folder.

• CrizzushCrizzush Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

As far as I can tell, that did nothing.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,582
    edited December 1969

The default content locations for Install Manager and DS are different -- you need to change one or the other so they match.

edited December 1969

They do match. It was the first thing I checked.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited December 1969

In Install Manager, if you select an installed item, Right Click and select "Installed Files.." It will display the paths and file names of everything it installed.

• edited December 1969

OK if I watch this threadmaybe I don't have to start a new one :)

I experience much the same problem as Crizzush, plus I have A LOT of content I'm currently reinstalling. The alphabetical list is nice, but unfortunately products are often named in strange ways by who they are from or whatever.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

@switt
    If you are having a problem, then ask about it here. There are very few errors with the DIM, and if you cannot find items you have installed, we may be able to help you.

edited December 1969

Okay, so I checked the Content Manager and it shows 2 Daz format directories. The standard My Library folder which holds the base product files including the Genesis base model. There is a second folder called My Daz3D Library. This is the directory where Install Manager is placing everything. If you try to change that directory to the default My Library directory you get a very stern warning not to make that change. So I didn't. The Addition Hairstyle files (and every other item I installed in this manner) are installed under My Daz3D Library.

The only items that seem to list properly are the Daz 4.x products. Everything older than that shows up in the Products list, which is not really a feasible thing to work with when you have hundreds of items installed.

So there really doesn't seem to be any point in using Install Manager for anything other than downloads. I'm disappointed.

edited December 1969

All content will still appear in the "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats" sections, and you can also Categorize it if you like. Most older content does not have metadata yet.

edited December 1969

If all your wanting to do is re-install everything to your default "My Library" folder...

You can do this easily with DIM.

1. Uninstall everything showing in DIM's Installed tab.
    2. Edit DIM's Configuration settings>Installation tab to point to your default "My Library" folder.
    3. Re-Install everything via DIM and it will all go in to your default "My Library" folder.

edited December 1969

Well no, it doesn't.

When you say "all content" I expect that to include pre and post 4.x content. It does not.
    Like I said originally, the files are there. I can use them. They are just not where I am accustomed them being.

I do not intend to categorize every item that does not show up where its supposed to.
    I would rather just copy over the entire runtime folders from my PC to my laptop.

edited December 1969

Lindsey said:
    If all your wanting to do is re-install everything to your default "My Library" folder...

2. Edit DIM's Configuration settings>Installation tab to point to your default "My Library" folder.
    3. Re-Install everything via DIM and it will all go in to your default "My Library" folder.

Except that it warns you NOT to do that. Why would it warn you then?

edited December 1969

Could you post a screenshot of the DS and Poser format sections of Content Directory Manager? What are some of the products that aren't showing up?

edited December 1969

Crizzush said:
    Lindsey said:

The reason for the warning is because if you do not uninstall the previous version and the product was updated so the file names or locations don't match, you'll end up with duplicates or conflicting data files.

edited December 1969

Could you post a screenshot of the DS and Poser format sections of Content Directory Manager? What are some of the products that aren't showing up?

Addition Hairstyles and Laci Luv for V4 do not show up except in the A-Z Product List.

01.JPG
    466 x 456 - 33K
    edited December 1969

The second entry under Poser formats does not match the second entry under DAZ Studio Formats, so no Poser-format items installed to the default Install Manager location will show up.

edited December 1969

Crizzush said:
    Lindsey said:

My guess is doesn't want you to install in a library with existing content for some reason. When I made the decision to abandon my existing "My Library" and start clean with DIM, I renamed "My Library" to "Old My Library" and created a blank My Library and re-pointed DIM to that. I don't recall if I was given a warning or not. If it did, I just ignored the warning...

Maybe somebody will give a reason for not doing this....

But it's no different than merging the folders manually as you suggested, but you'd loose the ability to have DIM maintain the content it's already installed since it's no longer where it thinks it is..

edited December 1969

The second entry under Poser formats does not match the second entry under DAZ Studio Formats, so no Poser-format items installed to the default Install Manager location will show up.

Okay, I uninstalled the products in question. I edited the Content Manager directories and reinstalled the products.

They are now showing up in the Poser directories. THANK YOU!!!

That was a lot of work. It would probably be helpful for future versions to set the Poser directories differently.

Thanks again. Sorry if I seemed annoyed. I really wasn't. I was just looking for a solution.

I hope that helps anyone else.

• why it say instalaion will begins after previous installation? 

• why it say instalaion will begins after previous installation? 

Which "it"?