Rendering Genesis 2 figures using IRAY

I'm wondering what the collective body of DAZ experts recommends in terms of rendering Genesis 2 figures using IRAY.  I know about applying the IRAY Uber Shader to non-IRAY items in order to improve the rendering, but wondering what additional steps are recommended. 

As an example, I see that EcVh0 has and Iray Skin Shader product for G2F.  (But not G2M?)  Recommended?  Are there alternatives, given the lack of an equivalent for G2M?

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,938
    edited August 2017

I very highly recommend the Iray skin converters from V3Digitimes. They are excellent. There are versions for several generations of figures. The version for Genesis 2 is here. It even appears to be on sale today for a good price! This one product works for both Genesis 2 Male and Female.

Post edited by barbult on
  • rames44rames44 Posts: 329

Thanks, barbult, I'll check that out. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 18,032

You could download & install the Genesis 8 Female and then save all of her surfaces shaders as shader presets and when you do, it will take 30 - 60 minutes to do them all correctly, uncheck all the images being exported so you wind up with only the shader settings and not the images. Then after you use the Uberiray Preset to convert those surfaces to iRay you can go through each shader surface on your figure and apply the appropriate shader you saved from Genesis 8 Female to it.

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716

For Genesis 2 I usually use the free included "Iray Optimized Genesis 2 Female MAT" (found in Iray section of Materials under Genesis 2) as a starting point, and adjust to "taste" as needed, I also use the free  Skinray Alpha shaders from Most Cigital Creations, it includes Iray shaders for V4, Genesis, and Genesis 2, and works quite well (But again, I usually tweak setting to my tastes). The commercial versions here may be better ..... I don't have them to compare.

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,821
    barbult said:

I very highly recommend the Iray skin converters from V3Digitimes. They are excellent. There are versions for several generations of figures. The version for Genesis 2 is here. It even appears to be on sale today for a good price! This one product works for both Genesis 2 Male and Female.

Agreed!!

Excellent product for Genesis 2 (My preferred generation)

• rames44rames44 Posts: 329

@nonesuch00 - interesting idea. Never would have thought of that. 

@DustRider, @wolf359 - thanks!

I hope you got the V3Digitimes product yesterday, if you want it. It was half price yesterday. I see it is back to full price today.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,964

Personally I prefer NGS Anagenessis. Does amazing stuff with Genesis 1-3

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,716

Personally I prefer NGS Anagenessis. Does amazing stuff with Genesis 1-3

DOH! How did I forget Anagenesis 2. It's my first choice too, if it doesn't work well, then I use the others I listed. I just used it severa times yesterday too, I think my brain must have been in another plane of reality.

• EcVh0EcVh0 Posts: 535
    rames44 said:

I'm wondering what the collective body of DAZ experts recommends in terms of rendering Genesis 2 figures using IRAY.  I know about applying the IRAY Uber Shader to non-IRAY items in order to improve the rendering, but wondering what additional steps are recommended. 

As an example, I see that EcVh0 has and Iray Skin Shader product for G2F.  (But not G2M?)  Recommended?  Are there alternatives, given the lack of an equivalent for G2M?

Or you could simply get G3F and G3M Shader and apply on top of G2F :)

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,610

If you're looking for realism then apply a 3rd party shader as suggested above. Anyway DS does convert other shaders to iray quite fine, so you really need to do nothing. Furthermore the advantage of using simple shaders in iray is it's good for rendering speed.

• Hi the Genesis 2 Essetials includes an Iray version of Gen 2 female and male.

• BobvanBobvan Posts: 2,652
    barbult said:

Agreed!

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited July 2020

I ran across this thread and realized I purchased and never tried the G2 Iray converter so decided to give it a test run on Cara HD for G2 and this is the result. I wasn't exactly sure what I was looking for but thought this turned out fairly well.  Any critiques are most welcome :)

CaraHD G2 Iray.jpg
    600 x 780 - 276K
    Post edited by Kharma on

I think it looks great! What were you looking for that was different?

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    barbult said:

I think it looks great! What were you looking for that was different?

Thanks @barbult   I guess I was just hoping it was looking authentic, I really struggle with the material settings as I am never quite sure what each slider changes, sometimes I see no change at all when moving sliders but using this script made it all alot easier. I can't believe I've had it so long and never used it!