White Specks on Renders

ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471

Hi,

I am real new to Daz.  Sometimes I get these white specks on my renders.  I can save the character as scene. close Daz, reopen, and when I render again the specks appear again in same place.  Any idea why this happens?   (Specks do not appear on every render of this toon, only once in a while).

speck girl.jpg
357 x 319 - 32K
Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Iray or 3Delight (Render Engine, listed in the Editor or Advanced tabs of the Render Settings pane)?

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

Might be insufficient lighting.

• ItsCeoItsCeo Posts: 471

Iray or 3Delight (Render Engine, listed in the Editor or Advanced tabs of the Render Settings pane)?

Iray

jag11 said:

I added a spotlight, pointing right at her chin with the focus past the back of her head.  Didn't make any change.  After work i will add another spot coming from a different angle (like 90 degrees from the one I just placed) to see if that makes a difference.

edited July 2017
    ItsCeo said:
    jag11 said:

I added a spotlight, pointing right at her chin with the focus past the back of her head.  Didn't make any change.  After work i will add another spot coming from a different angle (like 90 degrees from the one I just placed) to see if that makes a difference.

Oh... *cough* *cough*  maybe I should stay home from work today.  I might be getting sick. (it could happen).  ANYWAY, before adding the new spotlight I tried backing off...not having such a close-up.  The two white specks disappeared... but a new one showed up.

spek girl new 1.png
    320 x 314 - 193K
    Post edited by ItsCeo on
    edited July 2017

I added a new spotlight, 90 degrees from the front, hitting her shoulder by the speck.  I did not move the camera at all.  The speck has moved from her boob to her shoulder?.  *sigh*

spek girl number 3.png
    201 x 164 - 66K
    Post edited by ItsCeo on
  • Most likely a strong highlight - or even a "firefly". String lights/white golossy (or specular if the surface is using the Default Daz Shader) can produce those, adjusting the settings may help or there is an option in Render Settings to tame them.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,077

Is the Firefly filter on?

Capture.JPG
    489 x 268 - 34K
    fastbike1 said:

Is the Firefly filter on?

Yup, it was on.  So I spent most of the day watching iray videos on youtube.  I am more confused than ever now - haha - so much to learn.  So, first I cranked up the evironment / dome lighting and yay! No more specks.. but render time tripled.  I played around with different options - all successful in getting rid of the specks - then I ran across a video talking about the virtues of a free light set on Renderoscity.  Grabbed those and spent more hours having fun and learning. 

Since the only backgrounds I have came free with daz (they are fine but not what I am looking for at the moment), I bagged the background and render time is down to under 4 minutes - yay!  See my final result in the noobs forum competition at bottom of page here -

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/180206/july-2017-daz-3d-new-user-challenge-portrait-rendering#latest

• Same problem here but I set the Noise Degrain Filtering to 1 and it was gone. No noticible render quality loss.