[Solved] Linking one slider to another

nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

I want to link one slider to another, and to set the starting and ending value of one of the sliders to the 'main' one.

The main goes from zero to 100; the additional slider (im not sure) but say from 50 to 100, or maybe 100 to 50.

I know multiple sliders can be controlled, but can't find it.

Post edited by nicstt on

Comments

• you need to add a cosntant to the second one, and adjust the scalar of the ERC link from the first. For example, create a new hidden property (right-click on Parameters, set it to Edit Mode, right-click, Create New Property, set its value to 1 (or 100 - I'm not sure if you are using percent or want an absolute value of 100), set it to hidden, and set it to Locked. I assume you already have the other two properties. Right-click on the slave (I am assuming you want to go from 100 to 50 here) and select Show in Property Hierarchy. In the Property Hierarchy expand the entry to show the controllers, First Stage. Now drag both the hidden constant property and the controler into the Controllers>First Stage listing. Finally, expand the options under the controller to get its attributes and set the scallar to -0.5. That should be it. (To go from 50 to 100, set the hidden value to .5 or 50 and set the scalar to 0.5).

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,715

Thanks Richard, thought it might be you who posted. :)

I'll give it a go.

Ok got it working.

Is it a similar process to combine multiple sliders into one?

• Yes, though if you just want a simple relationship - 0 is off, 1 is everything at a target value - you can just use ERC Freeze.

Yes, though if you just want a simple relationship - 0 is off, 1 is everything at a target value - you can just use ERC Freeze.

Cheers.

• stitlownstitlown Posts: 282
    edited May 2020

Richard Haseltine,

you need to add a cosntant to the second one, and adjust the scalar of the ERC link from the first. For example, create a new hidden property (right-click on Parameters, set it to Edit Mode, right-click, Create New Property, set its value to 1 (or 100 - I'm not sure if you are using percent or want an absolute value of 100), set it to hidden, and set it to Locked. I assume you already have the other two properties. Right-click on the slave (I am assuming you want to go from 100 to 50 here) and select Show in Property Hierarchy. In the Property Hierarchy expand the entry to show the controllers, First Stage. Now drag both the hidden constant property and the controler into the Controllers>First Stage listing. Finally, expand the options under the controller to get its attributes and set the scallar to -0.5. That should be it. (To go from 50 to 100, set the hidden value to .5 or 50 and set the scalar to 0.5).

Why is the hidden, locked property needed?

I just want a new property (0% to 100%) to control a Z-translate and x-rotate on one object and an x-rotate on another object so the three actions opeate in concert. I was expecting I would just "slave" these three properties into the First Stage of my new property, but that doesn't appear to be doing what I wanted.  Cheers, Lx

UPDATE: Okay, I figured my thing out - partially. The SLAVE is a First Stage Sub-Component of the MASTER.  Now I need to figure out the different scales. One sub-component is 0 to +90, another is 0 to -53 and the thrid is 0 to -24. Is that the role of the hidden controller, to re-scale all the items to a common scale and direction?

UPDATE 2: Bingo!: Leaving this post here as it may help others.

1. Put all the Slave properties as sub-component 1st Stage items in the Master property.

2. Define the master property value range. I chose 0% to 100% ie number 0 to 1.

3. Set the sub-component/1st stage/<controlled property>/attribute/scalar to the value to correspond to the maximum on the master. In my case, it was master 100% == x-rot 90 for one, z-trans -53 for another and x-rot -24 for the third.

Post edited by stitlown on
  • White RabbitWhite Rabbit Posts: 231

Thank you all for this!  It worked perfectly for what I need!  It brought a smile of joy to my face.yessmiley

I was able to set the new property and it works fine. But, when I close the file in DAZ Studio, and come back into it, the first stage no longer has the second parmeter I added?  Its like I need to freeze/save something?  But what, and where please?  Is it the ERC Freeze?  If so, how is this used?The new slider operates the two doors together as needed but if only I could save it somehow?

Thank you in advance!

I'm certainly not having that issue White Rabbit. I'm working with new objects I'm creating so they only exist in my Studio scene file. It might be possible that if you are working with loaded objects, that on re-opening the scene they re-load from the source and you lose "tweaks". Maybe explore that possibility pending someone like Richard who knows way more weighing in. As a test, eg, I'd suggest duplication your tweaked object, validate the tweak is working on both then do a "save as" <whatever the appropriate preset is> on one and then save the scene and re-open to see what has happened. And if the tweak has disappeared from both, try re-loading the preset. I'm just tossing diganosis ideas around here as I've not had that issue. Good luck with it. Lx

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

After you add a new property, you must resave the item as an asset or the property won't be saved. File> Save As> Support Asset> Figure/Prop Assets

You can access ERC Freeze by right-clicking over an object's parameters and choosing Edit Mode. When you right-click a 2nd time, you'll see the ERC Freeze option.

I'm not sure that ERC Freeze is what you need for this. Prolly easier just to create a new property and set up the links. Tip - To get there quickly, in Edit Mode, select the property and choose Show in Property Hierarchy (open the pane first if you haven't already). You can then drag channels from Parameters straight onto the property.

Thanks for the tips Mclean. Interesting that I just don't seem to be having White Rabbit's problem. I've been in and out of my file / Studio multiple times over a week or so and nothing's gone missing on me. But useful for me to know for when the trouble does start. Cheers.

Ah, if you're using a scene file, it will store everything but the kitchen sink. That's why you're not having problems.

I just habitually avoid scene files for this type of thing because they can't be used for the products I submit to DAZ. I usually only use scene files for all my promo work.

maclean said:

After you add a new property, you must resave the item as an asset or the property won't be saved. File> Save As> Support Asset> Figure/Prop Assets

You can access ERC Freeze by right-clicking over an object's parameters and choosing Edit Mode. When you right-click a 2nd time, you'll see the ERC Freeze option.

I'm not sure that ERC Freeze is what you need for this. Prolly easier just to create a new property and set up the links. Tip - To get there quickly, in Edit Mode, select the property and choose Show in Property Hierarchy (open the pane first if you haven't already). You can then drag channels from Parameters straight onto the property.

Thank you guys for the feedback, but sadly, I'm still having the problem after trying all the suggestions?  I'm obviously doing something wrong somehere, but I don't know what?  I tried saving the whole scene, and all the ideas above but it still loses the setting after closing and re-opening the file?

White Rabbit. I'm not clear on what it is you're doing. Is this a figure? Multiple props?

Just thought I'd throw this comment / observation in here, and might post in in another place too.

If you're tying to put together complex sequences of bits of a rig (or multiple rigs) translating, scaling, rotating and morphing in concert, a way, way, way easier way to do it than setting all that up on a timeline and then doing an ERC freeze, is to just create an empty property, drag in the necessary elements in the property heriarchy and, (for what I'm doing) set them all up as linear keyed attibutes and then just write the keys on a step through of the main slider, using as much or a little detail as is needed. 100% control. Easy-peasy "test and learn and refine". 0% timeline aggravation!

Hope that helps.