Back to bryce

I came back to bryce after 5 years because i need to do some backgrounds icant find the different vegetations that covered the terrain i just see an assortment of plants. Im using brycepro 7

R Marty

Comments

• srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Is there a specific type or name of plant you are looking for that you can't find?  Or do you mean you are looking for terrains that have green on them to simulate extremely distant plants/trees?

• its not a plant it was diferent skins that included desert, fields of gras or flowers, snow, it was not a single plant just a cover to terrain.

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799

I suspect Sriesch is correct. It sounds like a you're looking for a Procedural texture of some sort to cover a terrain. Likely you are having problems accessing the material presets.

1. Select the Item.

2. Press the letter M

3. Once inside the Material Lab you want to click on the upper right tab attached to the Nano preview

This should allow you to see all of the material presets, including those intended for use with terrains. David Brinnen made several really awesome ones over the years, so make certain to look through all of the categories including "Contributing Artists." Best of luck.

• Yes Rashad thats exactly what I want. But I follow your instrucciones and nothing happens

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

• Ok I got that but I have to open a menu to find them planes and terrains are separte.

thanks

• The menu at the bottom.

• You have many more than what i have terrains and foliage than my bryce

Did you install both of the content dpwnloads?

• I think i did ill check. if not could i install over? or do i have to uninstall?

• I was told to install both b7 & b7pro  (win)

You should install Bryce 7.1.0.109  (either the win.exe. or the mac.32zip, depending on your computer) first.   You then need to install both the content files, the BryceProContent 7.0.0.19  and the very much larger BryceContent 7.0.0.21    Do not allow the installations to overwrite anything.  

• Do I have to uninstall BryceProContent 7.0.0.19?  and  BryceContent 7.0.0.21?     and then reinstall them again?

edited April 2017

You need to install them both.   Only once.   Make sure that you have the Bryce program installed,  and then install the content. Make sure that you have them installed  in the right place.   

Yours won't look the quite same as mine, as I have been using Bryce since 1997, and my files and folders are very much customised.  I just sent a quick screen shot to try and help you.

If you have the content and can find the mat lab, similar to my screen shot.   Select the terrain, then click on one of the thumbnails in the mat presets. You should see that it is selected, as a line will appear round it. THen clcik the little arrow at the bottom right of the material presets box, and the material should then apply to your terrain.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • I got it thanks. Do they still sell content for bryce?

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

I got it thanks. Do they still sell content for bryce?

Yes, this just came out last week:  https://www.daz3d.com/bryce-7-1-pro-grand-mountains

• I dont see the light lab nor the instancing lab. are these purchased apart?

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797
    edited April 2017

For the light lab, you select the light and then click on the 'E'

For the instancing lab, first you have to have something that can be instanced (make an instance of a mesh of set of meshes, such as an ungrouped item, using CTRL-I. Then select the item on which you want to instance them, e.g. a terrain. Then click the 'I'. You will get something like this:

Then you have to select, using the 'brush parameters' the item(s) that you want to instance (the one(s) you made earlier) and play with the settings of randomness (or not). Then you can paint with the painter tab on the instance lab. Don't start too enthusiastic with 1000s of instances, just play with a small number to see what happens. Sometimes, with many instances, it can take a long time. If you get impatience and start clicking, Bryce will probably crash. So, always save your scene, before trying to instance!

There is also a way of (more) manually instancing, which give more control over where the instances come. I remember having seen a tutorial (on this forum, some time ago), but actually never used it. The lab works for me (a bit). But probably the other method is more foolproof and saves time and frustration if you get the hang of it.

light lab.JPG
    484 x 439 - 15K
    Instance lab.JPG
    712 x 488 - 18K
    instance.JPG
    688 x 519 - 50K
    Post edited by Hansmar on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,280
    edited April 2017

Hansmar - instancing lab is not that unstable, just a bit tricky. Main thing is to first open the Brush editor, not the Painter which is active when opening the IL. When the Brushes are done, go to the Painter and paint. Check the Preview and exit only when the Preview is updated.

As for IL tutorials, I have Rashad Carter's 8 page tutorial and Kine_magiK's 62 pages tutorial (and Art Wade's Instancing without IL). All PDFs can be found on my website: Bryce & 3D CG Documents > Guests > Objects.

Post edited by Horo on
  • HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,797

Horo: Thanks for your reply. I guess you are right. Indeed, first the Brush editor. Then waiting for the preview to be updated is very good advice. That is probably where I go wrong sometimes.