Iray suddenly using FAR more memory

2»

Comments

• Thanks, I'll run this test when I get a chance, but due to an unexpected windfall I've just been able to order an 8GB GTX 1070, so that should solve a lot of problems.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,610
    edited April 2017

Yeah GTX 1070 is the hell of a card really, but be sure to resolve the issue anyway .. if you have compression disabled I fear even a 1070 can't do much, unless you resize the textures yourself.

p.s. I just disabled texture compression in my card by setting very high thresholds (8K for mid and 16K for high), and for the G3F I get the following values that would really explain your issue.

Iray VERBOSE - Geometry memory consumption: 13.7058 MiB
    Iray VERBOSE - Texture memory consumption: 2.49219 GiB
    Iray VERBOSE - Materials memory consumption: 70.2031 KiB

Post edited by Padone on
  • Iray VERBOSE -  Geometry memory consumption: 13.7055 MiB (device 0), 0 B (host)

Iray VERBOSE -  Texture memory consumption: 354.251 MiB (device 0)

Iray VERBOSE -  Lights memory consumption: 948 B (device 0)

Iray VERBOSE -  Material measurement memory consumption: 0 B (GPU)

Iray VERBOSE -  Materials memory consumption: 70.2031 KiB (GPU)

Pretty much identical to your first set so I don't think compression is disabled, but I can't find texture compression settings anywhere to check them. 

edited April 2017

Then I guess it means the 2GB textures + 500M geometry that you are trying to render in your "spot render" is really 2GB + 500M. And if so it can't fit in your 2GB card. Unless somewhat you saved bad texture compression settings together with the scene so they loads up with the scene itself. The texture compression settings are in the iray panel.

render settings > advanced > texture compression

p.s. One very interesting thing I found about disabling texture compression, is that my card can go outside its dedicated memory, and it still works using the GPU .. I guess I'll start a new thread about this ..

tex.jpg
    527 x 259 - 39K
    Post edited by Padone on
  • hesperasmithhesperasmith Posts: 52
    edited April 2017

I upgraded my card to the 1070 today and am still having the same problem. Very simple scenes with 1-3 objects render fine (and much faster now!) but anything more complex and the rendering gets stuck at this stage;

Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER): 1.3 IRAY rend stat : Texture memory consumption: 896.394 MiB (device 0)

And Daz Studio just uses all available CPU time and 10GB+ of system memory, something that doesn't happen at any stage when rendering the simpler scenes.

There is nothing useful in the log file, it just ends with the previous render stage.

2017-04-12 15:09:12.665 Iray VERBOSE - module:category(IRAY:RENDER):   1.3   IRAY   rend stat : Geometry memory consumption: 538.276 MiB (device 0), 0 B (host)

Post edited by hesperasmith on
  • Update, I'm a moron.

The problem was a corrupted preset, that's what was generating that 500MB of geometry, I just now tracked that down as the unifying factor between broken scenes.

Thanks for the tip Padone, I can now use both my old and new cards together for even faster rendering!

You're welcome Hesperasmith this thread was very useful to me too .. enjoy your new 1070 bye smiley

• StewmanStewman Posts: 9

Hesperasmith, can you please elaborate by what you mean when you day "corrupted preset"?  I am having the same problem all of sudden.

• JpegerJpeger Posts: 25

I'm running into the same issue now.  I'm interested in the fix as well.

• Which same issue? DS/Iray has suddenly started using 3 to 4 times more memory than it was?

• I have a GeForce RTX 2060 I found this in the Daz 4.14 log file:

WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.5   IRAY   rend error: Unable to allocate 16.000 MiB from 11.077 MiB of available device memory
    WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.4   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce RTX 2060): Scene setup failed
    WARNING: ..\..\..\..\..\src\pluginsource\DzIrayRender\dzneuraymgr.cpp(353): Iray [ERROR] - IRAY:RENDER ::   1.4   IRAY   rend error: CUDA device 0 (GeForce RTX 2060): Device failed while rendering

It's not just rendering that's a problem, but editing. Now I get heavy lag even in "texture-shaded" mode when editing 3D scenes. The GPU is idle.

Does anyone know how to fix this issue? It's driving me nuts. Thanks!