Anyway to get info on object in scene?

This is an interesting one. Kit bashing leads to characters wearing bits and pieces from several packages.

What if you need to find the source of a piece of clothing?

Like, go backwards to the original thing it came with, be it figure, prop pack, wardrobe etc.....

Clicking on the item and using the FILTER BY CONTEXT doesn't work.

Searching by the name of the item in the scene across all products doesn't work.

Going to the folder location gives me random Cloud-based file folders with no meaningful names attatched.
Any ideas....

Comments

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 456
    edited March 2017

That's a good question.  

When I select a scene object then go to Smart Content, check Filter By Context, then choose Files or Products Tab, I find it often helps to look in each categroy listed under All Files and/or under All Products and usually one should find the product.  

If you do know the name of the object then I'd start looking through the Content Library under the name of the product or the author of the product.  And of course under Content Library you can find it in one or more of several places, i.e., DAZ Studio Formats, Poser Formats, Other Import Formats and Products.  Several places to look all of which are not context enabled. I usally first start looking under Content Library | Products.  Good luck!

Post edited by FirePro9 on
  • This should be scriptable - nodes have an AssetID value, the AssetMgr (Asset Manager) can get the assets for a node - using those it should be possible to identify the source (though stuff that hadn't been made a product might all be rolled together - however, if I'm reading the docs right you can get the file path which is cruder but still probably useful).

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758

I ended up taking the sceneic route and using my Store Library List to siftt hrough my most recent purchases till I found it. Yuck.

I thought it was an object that came as part of a wardrobe, actually it's a character that came with clothing.

And there's a typo by the vendor- instead of calling the object Goggles, it's acalled googles.

Thanks anyway.

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 456

Richard, couldn't find Asset Manager.  Did find Edit | Object | Scene Identification that does list the Node Name and Scene ID which includes a number, is that the Asset ID Value?  Using that number I was able to search the Product Index and find a reference to the product.

• FirePro9 said:

Richard, couldn't find Asset Manager.  Did find Edit | Object | Scene Identification that does list the Node Name and Scene ID which includes a number, is that the Asset ID Value?  Using that number I was able to search the Product Index and find a reference to the product.

Asset Manager is in scripting - I was dropping hints in case anyone reading feels like ariting a script (or I can, at some stage in the dimly-perceived future, perhaps).

• It is 2020, this thread is 3 years old. Is there a new way to quickly find a scene asset? It would be enough for me to find the folder location. Any quick way to do that? :)

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,758
    edited January 2021

Nevermind this.

Capture_Blender_Session.PNG
    1089 x 499 - 374K
    Post edited by Griffin Avid on